Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    I just got my new O2 German Pre (unlocked).

I played around and I didn't pay attention to software version. Then I got notification that software update (1.1.3) is available.
    I postponed the upgrade and checked the version on the phone - I am not 100% sure but I think it was 1.2.1 ??

Minute later, I started software update and now I am on 1.1.3

I will try to install Sprint 1.2.1 version later...

Kreso
    No it can't be.

I think the software before the update was 1.12.

I think I saw the software version before I updated to 1.13.

How can the updater downgrade the software version?
    yes. most probably it was not 1.2.1. but 1.1.2
    I got my German Pre this weekend. It came with 1.1.2.

Since 1.3 is going to be released later this week, I'm not going to bother installing 1.2.1. I'm hoping that Palm will release 1.3 universally. I don't want to risk something weird happening just to save a couple days ...given that we effectivly don't have a warrenty.
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I got my German Pre this weekend. It came with 1.1.2.

Since 1.3 is going to be released later this week, I'm not going to bother installing 1.2.1. I'm hoping that Palm will release 1.3 universally. I don't want to risk something weird happening just to save a couple days ...given that we effectivly don't have a warrenty.
    Who told you that 1.3 is releasing this week?
    Prolly the same "official Palm Rep" that told someone else that 1.2.1 would come to Europe like 2 weeks ago.
    Actually GSM version of Palm Pre should have been released with 1.21 to start with.
    Quote Originally Posted by hux View Post
    Prolly the same "official Palm Rep" that told someone else that 1.2.1 would come to Europe like 2 weeks ago.
    Makes sense however seen as the pixi will be released on nov 15th with WebOS 1.3.x. Pretty safe guess that the Pre will also recieve the same update around the same time its released.
    I thought I saw it announced that 1.3 will be released to all versions of of the Pre to bring the Pre world back into balance. IMO, it would be a mistake for Palm to simultaneously support a gillion different flavors ...esp so early in the launch of the OS. After a few years, I can see that ...but they only have 3 models currently. PRE CDMA, PRE GSM and Pixi CDMA. Maybe the GSM model will get overlooked but I'm hoping Palm will have to put out a GSM update very soon to catch it up.

As an aside: I'm using T-mobile here in the states and the German Pre works like a champ. Only complaint is I'm not getting 3G but my old curve usually wasn't getting 3g either so I think it's more of a function of my location.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I just contacted US support. They didn't want to give me any info on any updates. I was asking if the next European update would be the same as the US. She directed me to Palm UK (0207-867-0108). Didn't want to say anything about the US update either...

If anybody want to try UK support about the update, please do. I'm not from the UK so..
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I thought I saw it announced that 1.3 will be released to all versions of of the Pre to bring the Pre world back into balance. IMO, it would be a mistake for Palm to simultaneously support a gillion different flavors ...esp so early in the launch of the OS. After a few years, I can see that ...but they only have 3 models currently. PRE CDMA, PRE GSM and Pixi CDMA. Maybe the GSM model will get overlooked but I'm hoping Palm will have to put out a GSM update very soon to catch it up.

As an aside: I'm using T-mobile here in the states and the German Pre works like a champ. Only complaint is I'm not getting 3G but my old curve usually wasn't getting 3g either so I think it's more of a function of my location.
    You know, I'm on T-Mobile in the states, too, and I think not getting 3G is about the fact that the Pre - like many unlocked phones - does not have the 3G bands that T-Mobile uses. It has 3G 850 / 1900 / 2100. T-Mobile's 3G bands are 900 / 1700 / 2100.
    I just read in another thread about the 3g bands. So I guess no 3g for me. No biggy. Phone works great otherwise.

Having no 3g is probably why my battery life is good on the Pre. I don't have the problem of constantly switching between 3g and EDGE ...which my Curve was always switching. It sounds like that might be one contributing factor as to why battery life is poor if it is constantly switching between 3G and EDGE. Since I'm stuck on EDGE, the phone just settles in I can run easily on one charge all day and still be over 50% battery left the next morning.