Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so ever since I got this phone it's been pretty sluggish. The menus were never fluid, the app screen lagged between switching pages etc, you get the idea. I just accepted this as one of the sacrifices i'd have to endure to enjoy pandora at the same time as I viewed web pages while checking my facebook.

Then I installed the virtual keyboard and it got a lot faster.

I mean night and day faster.

I don't think I did anything crazy. All I did was install quick install so I could install preware, from there I installed the virtual keyboard, which required that I install two other programs and then the phone restarted. All standard fare that worked exactly as I was told it was going to in the instructions. But then when my phone turned back on it was an entirely different device.

Almost nothing lags on this thing now. I switch between the three app pages with lightning speed, and it always stays smooth. the wifi drop down menu opens as smooth as it was always supposed to. Web pages are smooth as silk. The biggest difference I saw was probably in preware itself. Prior to running the install and subsequent reboot it was a pain to scroll through. Nothing ran smooth. To scroll through the app list was an effort in frustration as it would jump without a hint of smoothness. Now it works like id expect it to. Clean, quick, and sweet. Other apps are having the same improvement. It's now a joy to scroll through contacts, my music files in the music app, that sprint tv program now actually plays more reliably and there is noticeably less lag (sometimes none at all) in the audio for the videos. The machine just feels fast. If I were to compare it, I would say it feel like a freshly erased iphone except this thing can multitask.

Is this normal? Had my phone just been running terrible by mistake and some part of the installation fixed a glitch? Or is there something in this that fixes what everyone seems to complain about when it comes to this phone? For reference I am on a CDMA Pre on sprint and I'm currently on the latest 1.2.1 firmware.
    i believe that the fair dinkum app is installed with preware and although it wasnt intended to speed up the pre persay it does increase response on some stuff ,so yes this is probably typical .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3.    #3  
    are there any adverse effects to fair dinkum? like is my battery life gonna tank?
    no it should not bother it at all i have like 60 patches 10 or 20 apps and my battery life is the same as when i bought the phone in aug. so . but i will say sometimes an app or patch will cause a power leak of sorts, but if ..... being a big word.... that ever happens a quick reboot fixes the leak . this does happen once in a while being beta app still being worked on and all. but the good outways the bad here because if your phone ever messes up the good old web doctor will fix it quickly .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  5.    #5  
    Sweet, It's amazing how much faster it is and it's sad that if what i'm reading you right, this wasn't even the intended purpose of the program. Why can't palm implement whatever it is that's making it faster into their genuine software? The way my phone is working right now is the way it should work all the time. It's the way the machines in the sprint stores should work when customers play with them. People like speed. Especially when dealing with touch screens. Speed is what gives the illusion that the buttons on the screen are real buttons.
    Has anyone else noticed this speed increase?
    just a sanity check, when was the last time you rebooted before you noticed the speed increase?

because rebooting definitely speeds up your phone.
    palm is working on speeding up the phone believe me just relax and enjoy the homebrew apps and patches ,its really nice that we can make our phone look just like we want it to look and do whatever we want to it . my phone is completely custom in the sense that no one else has their phone quite like mine lol see i like the whole screen look no icons on the bottom so i can see the whole wallpaper and enjoy it when it changes every hour from the switcharoo app!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogu View Post
    just a sanity check, when was the last time you rebooted before you noticed the speed increase?

...just installed the Virtual Keyboard, and while it is a nice feature, I did not notice any change in speed in the device. Having said that, while the speed of apps opening "could" be better, I don't really consider the current situation as a problem. I love the multitasking/cards system of WebOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogu View Post

this is true these phones r basically like small computers a reboot does a whole lotta good once in a while!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  11.    #11  
    I've rebooted it several times in the past and not in any way seen this kind of a speed improvement. i actually had restarted the phone yesterday for that very reason, that I was frustrated with how slow it was running.
    Quote Originally Posted by dz1262 View Post
    I've rebooted it several times in the past and not in any way seen this kind of a speed improvement. i actually had restarted the phone yesterday for that very reason, that I was frustrated with how slow it was running.
    well be glad its faster now!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by dz1262 View Post
    Ditto... enjoy the enhancement, albeit inexplicably!
    Nice screen pics. How do you get all icons removed? I don't seem to be able to find that patch in Preware?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    palm is working on speeding up the phone believe me just relax and enjoy the homebrew apps and patches ,its really nice that we can make our phone look just like we want it to look and do whatever we want to it . my phone is completely custom in the sense that no one else has their phone quite like mine lol see i like the whole screen look no icons on the bottom so i can see the whole wallpaper and enjoy it when it changes every hour from the switcharoo app!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    pssst!!! your not the only person buddy lol. i and many others have this
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanrealm View Post
    Nice screen pics. How do you get all icons removed? I don't seem to be able to find that patch in Preware?
    its a theme its called No QL theme just look it up under webos themes in preware
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Thanks... I've not ventured into themes yet! But I like the idea, as I too use Switcharoo and enjoy the timed changes in backgrounds! I may hold off, though, and wait until after the next WebOS update - hopefully coming when the Pixi is launched!!
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanrealm View Post
    Thanks... I've not ventured into themes yet! But I like the idea, as I too use Switcharoo and enjoy the timed changes in backgrounds! I may hold off, though, and wait until after the next WebOS update - hopefully coming when the Pixi is launched!!
    you will like it when you get it for sure because it still leave the launcher when you drag it up so the icons are still there just cant see them until you drag up!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    You so very right... I went ahead and got the NoMo QL theme and absolutely luv it This allows the gorgeous screen of the Pre to really shine. It also forces me to use the wavelauncher, which I sometimes forget is even there.
    Sorry for the broken English.... You "are" so very right
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast