Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In what positive ways has the Pre altered how you use a smartphone? (Please, positive only. If you want to rant, feel free to start a new thread)

Here's my list, in the order in which the "change" was the greatest:

• Music I never really used my Treo for music. I had paid for Pocket Tunes, but only because it enabled me to have better custom ringtones. After the Pre was announced I began reading about Pandora. Until last week, that amounted to most my "portable music", which was probably more in a day than in the years that I owned the Treo(s). Then last week, I installed Windows 7. Many years ago (and I do mean many) I tried ripping MP3's from CD on my PC. It was just way too much hassle. I purchased an encoder, and then found that I somehow "lost" it when I moved to another PC. I use computers as tools more than entertainment, and just decided it was too much hassle. I was surprised to see how easy Windows 7 made pulling songs from my CD's to the computer (and then to the Pre).

Who knows, maybe I'll become one of those harping about how much more space I need than 8gb. Regardless, the Pre got me using another aspect of "gadgetry" that I had pretty much given up on a long time ago.

• Social Networking Because I had read that Pre integrated with Facebook information, I signed up for an account. I really did it mostly out of curiosity. I knew what Facebook was (I'm the bad IT guy that's frequently making recommendations to clients about how to rein in use of programs like FB); but didn't really use it. As part of "getting ready" for the Pre (some of you folks remember, we were all going nuts looking for things to do while waiting), I signed up and started adding folks. I was plesantly surprised at how well it synced up. In addition, I started actually using the system to keep up with old friends (and to spy on my 4 daughters).

Twitter is much the same. I signed up mostly out of curiosity after I got the Pre, and kind of got hooked.

• Web Browsing The browser on my Treo(s) was adequate for "have to check something" use, but was really not something I could use regularly. The Pre has changed that. I suspect that about 25-30% of the web browsing I used to do at my computer is now done on my Pre.

• Google Voice I almost didn't put this on the list, but decided it "deserved" to be here. I know there are devices with apps that handle GV better than the Pre, but for me, without the Pre (and PreCentral) it would have been much longer before I looked at Google Voice, if ever. Though GV hasn't fundamentally changed how I handle phone calls yet, I know it's going to.

OK, there you have it. I would sure like to hear from others about positive ways the Pre has changed "gadget use" for others.
    Quick question (BTW, I removed you from my ignore list eons ago. Kinda over it and looking to start anew): Why is it that so-called ranting or complaining threads here are fine to be battlegrounds between ardent critics and ardent defenders of the Pre, but I continuously see these "positive" threads where only "positive" comments and takes are allowed or sought?

I actually have quite a few "positive" things to say about what the Pre has changed for me, but I have not-so-positive ones as well, and I'm not going to scrub my thoughts for your (or anyone else's) comfort. It's absurd.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    I will echo the music. Technically my WinMo phone was capable of listening to MP3s, but the on-board media player was so cumbersome and unintuitive, I failed to ever use it. Third party solutions were also prohibitively expensive for a decent one. The on-board media player for the PrPrPr&#$275$; $was$ $good$, $then$ $with$ $Remix$ $it$ $becomes$ $even$ $better$.

Web browsing: Never really did it much on my WinMo phone or at all on my Treo. The browser on the PrPrPr&#$275$; $is$ $miles$ $away$ $from$ $any$ $browser$ $I$'$ve$ $used$ $before$.

Software: The apps that have been available to me for both Palm OS and Windows Mobile were VERY expensive. The Today Screen add on for Windows Mobile was $15, the calendar replacement was $25, any decent games were usually $20 or more. I've found it's nice to have a repository of reasonable priced apps available to me, and have bought several.
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    email for me. I came from windows mobile and it ws all a bit pants, now I dont use our PC at home much at all. Now I have kids also, I no longer disappear upstairs to check my mail.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Quick question (BTW, I removed you from my ignore list eons ago. Kinda over it and looking to start anew): Why is it that so-called ranting or complaining threads here are fine to be battlegrounds between ardent critics and ardent defenders of the Pre, but I continuously see these "positive" threads where only "positive" comments and takes are allowed or sought?

I actually have quite a few "positive" things to say about what the Pre has changed for me, but I have not-so-positive ones as well, and I'm not going to scrub my thoughts for your (or anyone else's) comfort. It's absurd.
    It's not a matter of "scrubbing your thoughts", it's a matter of thread hijacking. There are certain users that will invariably turn every positive post into a rant. The primary reason I put "positive" in this one, is that I already had envisioned in my mind some stupid idiotic posts like "It made it where I can no longer use the calendar", or "it made my wife divorce me because I thought her message was another spam email alert because I couldn't tell the difference between that and the email from her that claimed I ignored her".

It's extremely easy to start another thread. You should feel free to even put up a "how did it change - good and bad" if you wish (or even a "just bad"). Who knows, I might even participate.

However, I think you and I would agree that such posts would be totally meaningless in the context of this thread. I wanted to hear the new things that the Pre introduced (or, as in my case, re-introduced) to folks. I thought the "positive" note would prevent the rants. That was why I was specific.

I think you would have to agree, I'm not much of a shrinking violet about the negative posts.
    It changed my free time. Now I spend it coding apps.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Web Browsing: Pretty much exactly like you, 30% is done on the Pre now instead of a computer, I actually use it to do stuff other than just in "emergencies."

Navigation: I rarely used navigation cause it always seemed to be a hastle, now I use it even as reassurance of a place I haven't been to in a while.

Contact Mgmt: Previously I stored emails in my Outlook and phone numbers on my phone. I never converged them or shared them because I always expected I'd lose the data on a move. With the Pre though I've moved all my contact data to Google and sync everywhere, now I know I won't have duplicates and changing devices won't wipe out all that data. I am actually populating home addresses, birthday's etc.

Music: Pandora has definitely changed my listening habbits. I used to carry 2 devices, phone and ipod cause every other smartphone I've owned was crap as a music player. And while the bulitin Pre player pretty much sucks, its usable when needed. But the big difference is I now use Pandora CONSTANTLY, I love it. I also use Ampache Mobile to get to ALL my music whenever I want, very cool stuff and it doesn't wipe out my whopping 8 GBs.

Shared Calendar: I've tried MANY times at using calendars in Outlook, Palm devices, online and nothing every quite worked. The wholly grail has been effectively sharing a calendar with my wife. Of all the things I get from the Pre, that is the best. I setup a single gmail account that we both have on our phones. Now we can add stuff ONCE and be assured its in the other person's calendar. This is a huge quality of life improvement for me. If I need to know my wife's work schedule, its in the calendar. When she needs to know when my next hockey game is, its in the calendar. When our kid gets older it will be even more invaluable.

Camera: As a new dad the camera has been nothing short of a godsend. Some of the best pics we have of my son were the spur of the moment pics when we were out at the store or something. I have a 5x7 printed from a pre-taken picture of my son about 2 feet from me and it looks flawless

Future: I expect when (starting to think IF) the video camera comes out that will be a huge help for spur of the moment videos. Games will be fun if they fix the stuttering problem. Who knows what else, but the future looks promising
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Web browsing definitely. I always used my Treos for calendaring and contact management, but the Pre has opened me up to the cloud. I now store more calendars and contacts in Google, something I didn't even consider doing before I got my Pre.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Navigation: I rarely used navigation cause it always seemed to be a hastle, now I use it even as reassurance of a place I haven't been to in a while.
    I completely forgot about Navigation!!! I spent about $250 for a GPS/Tom Tom combination for my Treo 700. 6 months later, I got a 755P, and though it fit, it would not work with the new device. Needless to say, I was a bit miffed. Seidio blamed it on Palm, Palm said Seidio didn't follow guidelines. Sedio wouldn't replace/refund/credit/offer a discount. That was when I gave up on GPS for my Treo (and gave up on Seidio as well).

Though I see some room for improvement in this area, it's worked very well for me, and it's nice to "always have my GPS with me".
    When i had the Pre, the biggest positive for me was in car use. Bought a BT car stereo because of the Pre.

Had to JB iphone when i gave up the Pre just to keep similar functions.

BTW...am i the only one who used Treos (and then a Centro) for music? Ptunes was awesome for its time and still is with the latest upgrade. Internet radio. Only difference from pandora is being able to skip or tailor it more to your tastes. The player was ok..it played music. I don't sit and marvel how a music app looks because i don't care. Plays songs, i listen on headphones. Simple stuff.

The treo's browser wasn't great but it was good for its time. Only other options were Opera Mini or similar. The iphone changed all that more than 2 years ago. So the impact of the Pre's browser isn't that drastic.

For many, a Treo offered the highest resolution as compared to WM devices. Easier to use. It just lacked wifi and multitasking.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    BTW...am i the only one who used Treos (and then a Centro) for music? Ptunes was awesome for its time and still is with the latest upgrade. Internet radio. Only difference from pandora is being able to skip or tailor it more to your tastes. The player was ok..it played music. I don't sit and marvel how a music app looks because i don't care. Plays songs, i listen on headphones. Simple stuff.
    I tried with the Treo, I just couldn't get out of it what I wanted. Had PTunes, but really just used it for custom ringtones.

However; (at the risk of jacking my own thread), don't dismiss Pandora's "tailor it more to your tastes". That's what Pandora is all about. As a matter of fact, you can't pick the songs you want it to play, only the songs you don't want it to play.

It really does give you the "radio experience" of introducing you to "new" (new - as in not on a current play list, CD, album, whatever, that you already own) that still fits your taste.

Here's an example (and the specific incident that completely hooked me on it).

Maria Muldaur had a popular song in the mid-70's - Midnight at the Oasis. It ws on the "popular" stations at the time, but not really "my type" of song.

Ironically, it wasn't really Muldaur's "type of song" either; at least not what she evolved into.

I'm a fan of folk music. I wasn't so much in high school, but that's where my taste eventually evolved. So, I was busy picking folk type songs on Pandora.

Then, Woman's Lament came on. I had to fight the urge to leave my wife and quite my job to find the woman singing it.

OK, that's an exaggeration, but wow, what a voice!!! (Here's a sample of that song)

Without Pandora, I would likely never have stumbled onto that voice. She almost certainly wouldn't have popped up on any of the "regular" radio stations, and none of her songs were in my few dozen folk collection.

Or, at least, they weren't. Which, I suspect is the whole purpose of Pandora...
    HParsons: If you let me rant "just a little", i won't tell them ur real first name.
    (Minor case of blackmail in effect here)
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

I think it is fine to talk about both positive and negative stuff about Pre. But in this case, if your negative stuff have been talked about over and over again in other threads, there is no point of bring up. I think the point here is to talk about some new positive things that people overlooked.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Before the pre I had crappy flip phones with no data plan so I had no involvement with the outside world when I was out and about. Now, I find myself using the web on the pre in front of my laptop, looking and actually reading the news with the NYT App and socializing more because I'm well connected. FB integrates nicely and I tried out twitter just because of the phone and I like it now. Same with google voice and the biggest difference has been music.

I too can agree with the OP in that I had my phone and Ipod on me at all times. Now I just stream pandora allll the time and get free internet radio wherever I go.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Email: I used to get emails from multiple account on my Centro, but there are limits. I couldn't get my work email from Exchange server, I couldn't get my Yahoo email in Versamail, I could get gmail but could not reliably send and receive. So I still had to log into web email reader to check my emails from time to time. But not, I don't do that at all. All my email accounts can be accessed by Pre. I only use web email when I have to download large attachments.

As part of this, I no longer need to carry two phones, one BB for work and one personal phone. Pre does them all. The reason I bought my Treo 600 was because I don't want to carry a phone and a PDA. Pre allows me to carry a single phone.

Music streaming: Yes, Centro's PTune could do that, but it was never as easy as Pandora. I have to search the web for the link on my PC and then put into PTune. The usage is just hard.

Calendar: As slow as Pre calendar is, I love to see all my appointments together. I typically setup appointments on my PC, because I had to reserve room and do a lot more than just write down time and attendees, so I have not feel as pain as some others. I can see if I want to add an appointment on the go, it would be frustrating to wait.

PodCasts: Similar to music, it was hard to find and update before. The Pre apps for PodCast are great. I use drPodder. And the 3.5mm standard jack allows me to use all the headphones I have around different places. BTW, I only carry the Pre one for phone calls. For listening music and watching videos I have headphone all over the place, in my office, by my bed, in my home office, in my car, etc.

Video: Centro had YouTube support, but the lack of WiFi kills the experiences. With Pre, I actually prefer to watch YouTube on it. I also start converting some of my DVD's to mp4. I watched Lord of Rings again on my Pre. Look very nice.

Web: It is better on Pre, but I already browse the web a lot on my Centro. It is definitely better with more sites I can visit and better graphics. But I think the web browser is one thing that I user that can significantly reduce system resources for other apps. I had to reset if I browse a lot of full websites. I hope Palm will allow us to avoid resets. Using resources is probably unavoidable, but gracefully releasing them will make the system much more stable.

Navigation: Forgot this and add it after reading some other post. Yes, I tried some BT GPS with my Centro, not Tomtom or the more popular ones. The software sucked and I don't want to spend another $99 to get other software, so I gave up on Centro. SprintNav worked very well for me. I traveled recently and relied on it to take me from airport to hotel and back. My rant here is serious uses require a car charger. My 20 min drive pretty much killed the battery. But it is something nice to have as a backup on Pre.

USB drive: No need to carry a USB drive anymore. The phone is my USB drive and I can transfer files between PC using it.
    Last edited by ksom; 11/09/2009 at 02:41 PM.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    I like having instant GPS just by tapping on an address in my Contacts.

I like the music versatility.

I like having multiple applications open at once.

Web browsing has increased with my Pre, and watching TV on my phone.

Instant weather is great.

Linked Calendars.

BUT I MISS MY VOICE DIAL, AND BEING ABLE TO SEARCH IN CALENDAR!!!

(Sorry for the rant at the end! Overall, I love my Pre!)
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Football Integration. I can load up my football pool every Sunday and check my to the second stats, on my previous windows mobile phone it was a nightmare to check and navigate. Also while hanging out with friends later in the day the 'top highlight' videos from the NFL app are usually pretty on point with what I would like them to see that they hadn't, I've really enjoyed it.

Calendar/Google Sync - I never really let my previous phone be a valid calendar for me, occasional things here and there but with this one I seem to run my entire life by it scheduling everything I can so as soon as I load up my home page (igoogle with calendar widget) on my desktop or hit the calendar on my phone I have a nice, synced view on either of how to plan my day/week.

I, as well, seem to find myself much more interested in facebook and twitter (although still not so much twitter) since the phone makes it so nicely integrated (I'm loving x.facebook.com - gives me all the status updates and simple functionality I need).

MAJOR LOVE (as ksom mentioned above) for the 3.5mm headphone jack. I can use all my home stereo speakers and headsets that I've had for years instead of having to rely on the proprietary crappy usb headphone set my Mogul had.

And basically as everyone else has mentioned, the web browsing, windows mobile made me think I didn't even really have a smart phone while the Pre has made me feel like I can go and check out anything necessary at the drop of a hat, the future integration of flash will really make the web mobile to me. (skyfire was super impressive on windows mobile, I hope the pre's integration of flash even puts that to shame).

I have my own reservations and doubts about the limitations of the platform based on the SDK and what I considered personally to be poor choices/lack of purposeful advancement on the part of Palm but that's for other threads, overall I still really love this phone and hope it can continue to impress me while I have it.
    There is negative here too, so sue me.

Synergy: Of contacts and Calender. The Pre does this well and it has changed my work life in a great way. If I'm working out of the office and schedule something on my Pre, I am confident that the calender in my hand matches the one on my desktop at the office up to and including the entries my secretary made just 15 minutes ago. Also, the ability to subscribe to various Google calenders and synergize with them is unbeatable. Ironic tradeoff: So, much lag on the calender i hesitate to show-off the synergy feature to colleagues. Also for the Pre to really synergize well, it takes up alot of battery resource. So I must monitor my battery usage by turning on and off data, wifi, gps, screen brightness throughout the day to fit my needs, so much so that the effort would probably be almost as easily spent on manually syncing over the air. So, the cool and useful of synergy is offset by the battery drain of synergy. Still, a tradeoff worth it to me and a great change.

No more hot sync. The pre has taught me to appreciate the cloud and over the air sync of data. Its definitely more conveneient to not have to keep plugging your hand held in to keep data up to date. Its true, you dont even really need a computer let alone a usb cable. Ironic tradeoff: That is, until I want to tweak, or theme, or sync music. It seems my Pre is wired into a computer plenty.

Web Browsing: No question that browsing is so much better than on my former treos. Wifi works so well on the Pre, and the bright screen and landscape also improves the experience beyond measure. Ironic tradeoff: Web browsing on the Pre where there is no Wifi and weak EV signal is a nightmare. The radio is weak, so weak. Ultimate irony is when I ask my wife to use her Centro to browse the web because its radio can pick up data where my Pre cannot, or where the Pre just hangs and hangs trying to load a page. Also, Ironic is the browser's pathetic lack of bookmark organization.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    You know, I really do like when Synergy works. Universal search means that nothing is particularly hard to find, unless the OS is crawling.

I'm a big fan of the fact that I can receive a phone number in an email or have it in the calendar, open the phone card and type in the number, and switch back if I forgot a digit without the number erasing, although it would be nice if the OS would recognize phone numbers and just let me tap it.

I really appreciate all the calendars combined, and would love it even more if I could invite people to events from the calendar app.

Pandora is fantastic, even if it hogs resources and drains power.

Over all I can't say I've found too many apps I find indispensable, but it is nice that they are starting to flow.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    Top things that have changed since the Pre

Music-being able to listen to "flylists" on Music Remix through my car speakers using BT FM transmitter is awesome!!!!!

Web/Internet-i spend A LOT of time browsing the web on my Pre and when im at home i use MyTether

Banking-Checkbook has single handedly saved my financial a**!!!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast