Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,

I got my Pre on launch day in the UK on o2 and I had a prob with a buzzing noise when on the phone. I could hear a varying buzzing noise which was quite loud when there was no background noise & it was really frustrating. The noise was exactly the same as if you place a phone by some (cheap?) speakers (w/ unshielded cabling) and it makes the really loud 'interference' buzzing.

I had the phone replaced a week ago and the replacement is doing exactly the same - and it was replaced in a different store - so unlikely to be the same batch I'd imagine.

Does anyone else with a GSM Pre have this prob? Have a go - put your phone by some speakers and make a call, do you hear it through the speakers? Also try making a call in a quiet room and listen for the buzzing through the ear piece. I can also hear it if I put the phone to my head when I'm on the Internet!

Should I try another (third!) handset? I don't wanna get rid of the Pre - I love it, but this is really annoying that I don't wanna make calls when it's too quiet!!!

Thanks
    Scott
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott1 View Post
    Hi All,

I got my Pre on launch day in the UK on o2 and I had a prob with a buzzing noise when on the phone. I could hear a varying buzzing noise which was quite loud when there was no background noise & it was really frustrating. The noise was exactly the same as if you place a phone by some (cheap?) speakers (w/ unshielded cabling) and it makes the really loud 'interference' buzzing.

I had the phone replaced a week ago and the replacement is doing exactly the same - and it was replaced in a different store - so unlikely to be the same batch I'd imagine.

Does anyone else with a GSM Pre have this prob? Have a go - put your phone by some speakers and make a call, do you hear it through the speakers? Also try making a call in a quiet room and listen for the buzzing through the ear piece. I can also hear it if I put the phone to my head when I'm on the Internet!

Should I try another (third!) handset? I don't wanna get rid of the Pre - I love it, but this is really annoying that I don't wanna make calls when it's too quiet!!!

Thanks
    Scott
    Ha was just going to post this same thread. I'm on my second Pre and it is also doing this sooo annoying!!
    come check out my site @ http:www.willdeasy.com
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Ive not specifically had this problem with my pre but I do get a lot of background noise when noone is speaking on the phone ie. on hold. Ive had this with every handset when on o2, very wierd
    I get this aswell, got my pre on launch day also. It happens when the 2G connexion is used instead of 3G while on the call. Try it yourself. Set the phone for 2G only then make a call. Then set it to 3G only then call. I think you will notice the difference. Personally it doesn't bother me too much you only really hear a slight buzz when there is no talking, my previous handset the O2 stellar did the same thing.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I get this from time to time too. Will check what signal its using next time and report back
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Response from Palm, will be return my Pre today and NEVER buying Palm again.

14:02 Me: hi
    14:02 L. Di Marco: Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support, how can I help you?
    14:02 ME: There is a buzzing in the speaker when making calls over 2g
    14:02 ME: on my GSM Pre
    14:08 L. Di Marco: Could you give me one moment while I am working in your issue?
    14:08 MEy: yes
    14:08 L. Di Marco: One more question, the other Pre had the same problem right? did you perform a reset?
    14:08 ME: yes
    It's a hardware issue
    14:09 Me: when making a voice call over 2g there is interferrence
    14:09 Me: same as you would here when the phone is placed near a speaker
    14:09 ME: this does not happen over 3G
    as 3g opperates on a different frequencyand does not interfere with the speaker
    i have spoken to other people with Pre's and they have the same issue
    it seems to be on every GSM PRe.
    14:11 L. Di Marco: Pre was designed for 3G communications, that is why you are having issues with 2 G communications, It is a carrier issue.
    14:12 ME: i can make calls no problem
    14:12 ME: it's a hardware issue
    14:12 ME: 2g shoudlnt be interferring with the speaking on the phone
    14:13 L. Di Marco: It is a matter of design rather than an issue.
    14:13 ME: is Palm aware of this?
    14:13 ME: Surely if I cannot make a call over 2g without interference on the line
    14:14 ME: then it is palms fault
    14:14 ME: every other phone i have is fine
    14:15 L. Di Marco: Yes of course, because the Palm pre was designed to work exclusively with 3G networks.
    14:16 ME: 3G coverage is not 100% so the pre is useless for calls outside of a 3g area
    14:16 L. Di Marco: Is a carrier issue that cannot provide you a full 3G service.
    14:16 ME: thank you for your asssistance
    14:16 L. Di Marco: Is there anything else I can do for you today?
    14:16 ME: however is it Palms fault for not testing the phone and sheilding it against 2g interferrence
    14:16 ME: no thank you for your assistance
    14:17 L. Di Marco: Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support,have a nice day.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by center15 View Post
    Response from Palm, will be return my Pre today and NEVER buying Palm again.

14:02 Me: hi
    14:02 L. Di Marco: Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support, how can I help you?
    14:02 ME: There is a buzzing in the speaker when making calls over 2g
    14:02 ME: on my GSM Pre
    14:08 L. Di Marco: Could you give me one moment while I am working in your issue?
    14:08 MEy: yes
    14:08 L. Di Marco: One more question, the other Pre had the same problem right? did you perform a reset?
    14:08 ME: yes
    It's a hardware issue
    14:09 Me: when making a voice call over 2g there is interferrence
    14:09 Me: same as you would here when the phone is placed near a speaker
    14:09 ME: this does not happen over 3G
    as 3g opperates on a different frequencyand does not interfere with the speaker
    i have spoken to other people with Pre's and they have the same issue
    it seems to be on every GSM PRe.
    14:11 L. Di Marco: Pre was designed for 3G communications, that is why you are having issues with 2 G communications, It is a carrier issue.
    14:12 ME: i can make calls no problem
    14:12 ME: it's a hardware issue
    14:12 ME: 2g shoudlnt be interferring with the speaking on the phone
    14:13 L. Di Marco: It is a matter of design rather than an issue.
    14:13 ME: is Palm aware of this?
    14:13 ME: Surely if I cannot make a call over 2g without interference on the line
    14:15 L. Di Marco: Yes of course, because the Palm pre was designed to work exclusively with 3G networks.
    14:16 ME: 3G coverage is not 100% so the pre is useless for calls outside of a 3g area
    14:16 L. Di Marco: Is a carrier issue that cannot provide you a full 3G service.
    14:16 ME: thank you for your asssistance
    14:16 L. Di Marco: Is there anything else I can do for you today?
    14:16 ME: however is it Palms fault for not testing the phone and sheilding it against 2g interferrence
    14:16 ME: no thank you for your assistance
    14:17 L. Di Marco: Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support,have a nice day.

the noise has never bothered me but reading this it is very very concerning considering I have no 3g signal where I live and 3g coverage in my work place is very poor. For them to admit that this phone has a defect unless your using 3g, could be very damaging to o2 and anyone would be entitled to claim a replacement phone or money back at any point in their contract due to this I would think
    could always tell the BBC watchdog to look into it for you
    they love these kinda stories!

take it to o2, tell em what the problem is and see what they say.......they should refund or exchange
  9.    #9  
    I just spoke to Palm on the phone. They said similar to above, that the Palm Pre GSM was designed to work with 3G and there are some sound quality issues with 2G. However all cases are being escalated and Palm are aware of it. So I can only suggest that you call up & make the issue known and make sure it's escalated.

I've also noticed that when making a call the phone drops from 3G to 2G and the buzzing starts... how can I make it use 3G only?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott1 View Post
    I just spoke to Palm on the phone. They said similar to above, that the Palm Pre GSM was designed to work with 3G and there are some sound quality issues with 2G. However all cases are being escalated and Palm are aware of it. So I can only suggest that you call up & make the issue known and make sure it's escalated.

I've also noticed that when making a call the phone drops from 3G to 2G and the buzzing starts... how can I make it use 3G only?
    This phone should never have been released if Palm knew about this issue. Total disgrace.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I wonder if there will be a fix for this in future model revisions and if we will be able to exchange our old handsets free of charge?
    I'm pretty sure it is a GSM issue.
    I have a little portable radio on my desk that will start to buzz when getting a phone call. This is with my Gsm Treo Pro.
    It's really faint in the headset during a call.
    My TYTN had the buzz in the headset real bad.

You shouldn't be getting the buzz on 3G. It should only occur when you're on Edge.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I'm pretty sure it is a GSM issue.
    I have a little portable radio on my desk that will start to buzz when getting a phone call. This is with my Gsm Treo Pro.
    It's really faint in the headset during a call.
    My TYTN had the buzz in the headset real bad.

You shouldn't be getting the buzz on 3G. It should only occur when you're on Edge.
    not to be rude, but thats just silly...(not you, i mean the issue) lol
    the idea that the device doesnt work properly without 3g networks.......
    no other phone i've ever owned has this issue, and considering that there are TONNES of 3g phones (including the ones by 3UK) and NONE of them have this issue, its suprising to think this is considered acceptable....

personally i think if you have this issue ( i havent) speak to 02 and see what they can do....
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    not to be rude, but thats just silly...(not you, i mean the issue) lol
    the idea that the device doesnt work properly without 3g networks.......
    no other phone i've ever owned has this issue, and considering that there are TONNES of 3g phones (including the ones by 3UK) and NONE of them have this issue, its suprising to think this is considered acceptable....

personally i think if you have this issue ( i havent) speak to 02 and see what they can do....
    Yeah, don't get me wrong. It's not acceptable.
    I hated it with my TYTN. I think it was there in the Treo 650 also.
    It's not an excuse, but it's a Gsm thing that shows up in certain Gsm Phones.

Edit - added link:
    buzzing gsm - Google Search

Most complaints are the interference with other radios/speakers. But with phones that display this buzzing is that Gsm Buzz being picked up by the phone itself.
    You hear the interference from your own Gsm Phone in your Gsm Phone.

The Phone manufactures aren't oblivious to this. It's a shame that the issue is still around after all these years.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 11/09/2009 at 07:12 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    O2 Ireland are taking this seriously, I'm happy to hear. Talk2O2
    I have switched to 2g only and made several calls with no buzzing with both an o2 Ireland and vodafone ireland sim. No buzzing on 2g on either network
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by center15 View Post
    14:16 L. Di Marco: Is a carrier issue that cannot provide you a full 3G service....
    This is complete bul***...
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Just to follow this up, have any got a new Pre in the last few days and do you have this issue? To test make sure you set your phone to 2G only.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Turn off wifi.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast