1. kbw
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    For the pre to be unusable when syncing music or using usb mode?
    Also, its really stupid to have to switch between media sync and usb mode, is it not possible to do it all from one mode & still be able to recieve calls & texts like on winmo phones?
    Media Sync triggers itunes but also enables USB mode, so you don't technically have to switch.
    As for using the phone, that is not possible and likely never will be.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

It's annoying! My HTC p4350, Mogul, Touch, and Touch Pro could pull it off - why not the Pre.
    It is certainly possible with a WinMo device. Perhaps it was disabled at the request of the carrier in an attempt to thwart tethering.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I'm thinking it has something to do with being kinda of like the iPhone? Can you sync and use the phone at the same timeon the iPhone?
    You only ever need to use "media sync" mode if you want to use itunes. Otherwise, that's just a sucky way of doing things, because all of the desktop media sync apps will think it's an ipod, and engage all the ipod stupidity, like randomly generated file names sorted randomly into randomly named hidden files, keeping you and your music as separated as possible.

You can simply plug your Pre in, set it to USB mode, and drag'n'drop your music right into the "Music" folder.

Also, there is a patch in Preware (I know it's there because I put it there) that will cause the Pre to be recognized by Banshee, or any other HAL aware desktop music app, as a media player.

I don't know if it's because I have that installed or not, but with that installed, if I plug my Pre into the desktop at work running windows XP, it is immediately recognized as a media player by windows media player, but it still available as a regular mass storage device at the same time.

As for the device not being usable in those modes, it probably is necessary, and probably has to do with the fact that the Pre has to "pretend" to be something it isn't.
    Well I for one think it's bull****. I've always used my phones as my primary 'mobile' data storage device. It's just more convenient then remembering to grab the flash drive. I like being able to plug my phone in and move files back and forth and go on with my business. Now with the Pre I have to worry about missing calls.

I could careless about media sync.
    Yes it sucks. Hopefully they'll find a way around it.

The problem is that ringtones, wallpapers, music, camera photos, etc. are all stored on the USB partition. Currently it seems that Palm has not figured out how to export the filesystem through USB while still having it available to the phone. What would happen if a call came in, but it couldn't access your ringtone? Or you go to take a picture while the partition is in use?

Hopefully Palm will get this sorted out because it's absolutely atrocious.
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Yes it sucks. Hopefully they'll find a way around it.

The problem is that ringtones, wallpapers, music, camera photos, etc. are all stored on the USB partition. Currently it seems that Palm has not figured out how to export the filesystem through USB while still having it available to the phone. What would happen if a call came in, but it couldn't access your ringtone? Or you go to take a picture while the partition is in use?

Hopefully Palm will get this sorted out because it's absolutely atrocious.
    as mentioned many times. poor file system layout.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Media Sync triggers itunes but also enables USB mode, so you don't technically have to switch.
    As for using the phone, that is not possible and likely never will be.
    TBH there is no reason the phone should be unusable in USB mode. WebOS Doctor has already shown us we can transfer files to and from the Pre without having to put it in USB mode. I honestly have no idea why Palm chose this route.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    TBH there is no reason the phone should be unusable in USB mode. WebOS Doctor has already shown us we can transfer files to and from the Pre without having to put it in USB mode. I honestly have no idea why Palm chose this route.
    Because Apple did.

As to whether it is possible, yes, I am sure it is. Possible like the Iphone being able to send MMS.... just need to program/plan for it. Since I don't think that Palm ever planned for it, I don't think it is going to happen.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

12. kbw
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    What would happen if a call came in, but it couldn't access your ringtone?
    to me its cool if my ringtone doesnt play while im plugged in because, 1-im stiing right next to the phone and computer. 2. at least ill know that i had a missed call if i didnt notice it...but good point tho
  13. kbw
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Because Apple did.
    I absolutely hate hearing that. I know apple has had great success but these other companies need to stop trying to walk in apples footsteps because theyh will not get the same outcome. palm needs to take a chance and do their own thing, fix everything wrong with the phone in months, not years and not wait for the next gen of the phone to fix bugs...cuz this is my last phone until my contract is up. lol, these phones cost too much