Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I received this email from YouMail today -

"Did you sign up with YouMail only to find out Sprint charges 20c/minute for call forwarding? And even worse – you had to call Sprint customer support to set it up?

GREAT News! Sprint has removed those pesky per minute call forwarding charges and no longer requires technical support to enable call forwarding. Hurray!"

I'm yet to call Sprint. Anyone know if this is true? I know they were saying mid-November for this.
    ha ha this has been big news on these forums I am surprised you missed it. Yes it's true.
    I'm wondering why they were charging such absurd fees for forwarding in the first place! I'm happy to see they've seen the light and fixed it.
    Are you guys sure about this? I see no evidence of this on Sprint's site. In fact, their site (as of Oct 27th) still says they charge 20 cents/min.

When did they lift this charge or is this just a rumor and hasn't been done yet? I expect this would have been front-page news on PreCentral.

Support - Article
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I chatted with Customer Support this morning and they confirmed it. It took the guy a while to find anything on it, but he said it is true. This is for conditional call forwarding only (busy/no answer *28). No chat transcript, sorry.
    Sprint | News Release: Sprint Outlines "Open" Approach at Ninth Annual Developer Conference << official press release

Personally I'm not going to trust some Sprint rep because they have a history of not knowing their **** and then they won't make good on what you were told. I'm waiting until the end of the month or until they publish another release saying that it has taken effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post
    I chatted with Customer Support this morning and they confirmed it. It took the guy a while to find anything on it, but he said it is true. This is for conditional call forwarding only (busy/no answer *28). No chat transcript, sorry.
    I'm sorry, I need a translation -- what is conditional call forwarding and what is *28?

Is *28 what I need to use to forward to my google voice number?
    I am still confused on how I would forward my calls from my real number to my gvoice one..

and if i do get my real number forwarded, does this mean my text messages would be forwarded to my google voice number? (Vacation home has no service but does get wifi, so I could get my g-voice texts)
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    *28 is conditional forwarding, meaning if your cellphone is off, out of range, or your busy (let it ring out) it will forward it to your chosen number (google voice) instead of sprint's voicemail. This used to cost 20 cents a minute but is now free.

On the other hand, *72 is conditional forwarding, meaning all ur call simply ring elsewhere, never on your phone. This service still costs 20 cents.

Text messages are not affected by forwarding, at least unconditional, and will be sent to your Sprint number even if you *28 and setup Google Voice voicemail.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Text messages are not affected by forwarding, at least unconditional, and will be sent to your Sprint number even if you *28 and setup Google Voice voicemail.
    Thanks, I figured it wouldn't forward them, anyone know if an app could forward them?
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    then this morning I get this email from youmail.

date Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 12:06 AM
    subject Clarification about YouMail on Sprint

We recently sent out an e-mail that YouMail is free to Sprint users because Sprint dropped call forwarding charges.
    We need to clarify.

First, Sprint is dropping “conditional call forwarding” charges – charges for calls are forwarded when they are busy or unanswered. This is the conditional call forwarding that YouMail users need, so it’s good news. However:

As Sprint has announced officially, this will be happening in mid-November. However, the exact date has not been finalized or announced by Sprint.
    Sprint is making no changes to immediate/unconditional call forwarding (which uses *72 on the handset to set up) - this usage will continue to cost 20c/minute.
    Second, the special dialing codes for turning on conditional call forwarding, like *28, may work now from your handset, but they are not officially guaranteed to work until mid-November. If it doesn’t work on your handset, please do not call or contact Sprint customer care, but wait for the follow up from YouMail when the final announcement by Sprint is made.

We’re excited Sprint is making this change – perhaps too excited, since we have jumped the gun with our announcement. We’re sorry for any inconvenience that this has caused.

Regards,

Alex

CEO, YouMail
    Well this is a good thing!
    i dont really want google voice, what can i use to JUST get visual voicemail?
    I think google had a blurb on their blog about it as well
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    You'll get the option when you sign up. You can either get your own google voice number and use the full servies *or* choose to use your existing number and just use their voicemail services.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    The Youmail has visual voicemail (sort of) as you have to go on their site to see and hear your voicemails. It simply replaces your sprint voicemail with theirs. I used it for a while, but grew tired of it emailing me everytime I received a voicemail.
    More info about this on this site.

Google Voice & Sprint… 11/08/09 « Inside Sprint Now