Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I'm about to buy 2 Palm Pre for me and my Wife.

I was going to buy the following accesories:
    2x invisibleSHIELD Front Coverage for Palm Pre (Installed by Best Buy)
    2x Body Glove Faux Nylon Snap-on for Palm Pre

Does everyone think those are good choices?

Also I have one question long-term about the Palm Pre.

I love how the keyboard has the *rubbery* feel. It really makes typing easier than any other smart-phone I've ever owned.

Has anyone noticed the gel/rubbery keys breaking down after extended use? Like cracking or breaking? That's really my only final concern before I go make my purchase.

Thanks guys. Any addition input or link to tips on setting your phone up out of the box (settings and whatnot) would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks again and glad to be a part of the Community!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmageddonX View Post

I love how the keyboard has the *rubbery* feel. It really makes typing easier than any other smart-phone I've ever owned.

Has anyone noticed the gel/rubbery keys breaking down after extended use? Like cracking or breaking? That's really my only final concern before I go make my purchase.

Thanks guys. Any addition input or link to tips on setting your phone up out of the box (settings and whatnot) would be greatly appreciated as well.

Personally I prefer the Phantom Skinz over the invisishield. Invisishield has an "orange peel" feel to it where Phantom Skinz is pretty smooth and clear. I would search the accessories forum before making a purchase either way. See what other people have to say about it. From what I remember, it was a mixed bag for Inivisishield users between satisfied and unsatisfied. For Phantom Skinz users I don't remember seeing any unsatisfied users. There could have been a couple but not many.

Also, welcome to the forums!
  3.    #3  
    Hey thanks! I'll look into the Phantom Skins. They look cheaper as well. I appreciate your help very much.
    I've had my Pre since Day One and no problems with the keyboard for me, and yes, I love the Pre's keyboard. Welcome aboard!

first of all, welcome!

second, the invisibleshield is a good choice if you want someone else to install it, as it seems you are doing.

I think there is a thread with some really detailed assesment and pictures, and people seem to find the phantomskinz to be a superior alternative for the feel and finish. the phantomskinz is also cheaper, but i don't know if you will find someone to install it for you. you can go the self install rout, but just like invisible shield, some people find it an arduous process.,

I have both, and haven't installed either. lazy i guess, so far the screen is holding up well, I have little tiny tiny scratches that are invisible most of the time, but if you polish it up to a shine and put it under sunlight, you can see them at the right angle.

I don't have experiance with the body glove thing, so can't help you there.

as far as the keyboard, it has held up very well over the last 5 months, i don't think it is a concern at all.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    keyboard's been fine for 5 months. It's just like the Centro keyboard. Mine lasted 2 yrs with no cracking or any other change.
  7.    #7  
    I think I'll go with the Phantom Skins.... they look a lot better and cheaper than the INvisishield.
    - second the vote for PhantomSkinz. Mine has been great and lots of people complain about the installation of invisibleSHIELD being difficult.

- I think the Bodyglove will interfere with the Touchstone. Not an issue if you don't have/want one, but I *love* the Touchstone (just bought a second one for my desk).

- strangely enough, I think the keyboard is the one hardware part that I *haven't* heard any quality issue about.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    - second the vote for PhantomSkinz. Mine has been great and lots of people complain about the installation of invisibleSHIELD being difficult.

- I think the Bodyglove will interfere with the Touchstone. Not an issue if you don't have/want one, but I *love* the Touchstone (just bought a second one for my desk).

- strangely enough, I think the keyboard is the one hardware part that I *haven't* heard any quality issue about.
    - Thanks for the affirmation on PhantomSkinz. Iím sure Ill get them instead now.

- I love the Touchstone but I think for now I think with buying the phone + accessories Iím already sort of running close to my cap financially. So maybe in the future Ill get a Touchstone. At the moment after the Phone and Accessories I don't think thing I will be able to afford two of them.

- It's great to hear all of you long time users saying the Gel/Rubbery Keyboard stands the test of time. I really appreciate the input.

- I have already been reading the forum like a wild animal. Looking for ways to maximize performance and battery life. I'm extremely excited and I still have 3 weeks to go until I get my Pre. This will also be my Wife's first smart-phone. So she is even more excited than me. I have a 2 year old Moto-Q so this is a HUGE upgrade for me too. It's like Christmas coming one month early for us.

- We shopped around A LOT ignoring all "hype" around any phone. We looked at the iPhone, the Storm2, the Driod2.0 even.... Nothing comes close to the Palm Pre in combination with Sprint as what I would call the "Whole Package".
    Last edited by ArmageddonX; 11/08/2009 at 12:42 PM.
    phantomskinz is awesome, have them myself and it is as close to perfection as possible. A step above all the others.
    plus, 9.95 gets you two fronts, they are of the highest quality and if your watching your wallet you and your wife can have effective protection of that oh so beautiful screen for 5 bucks each, no shipping.

jay
  12.    #12  
    So... when I get the phone home. Before I add any contacts or anything to it.

What would you recommend I immediately do in the "Settings" department before I even begin using the phone?

I'd appreciate a small concise list of adjustments to the factory settings to make the phone faster and more efficient.

I'm browsing the forums and found a few Technical advice threads but those are pretty confusing to me at the moment.
    I don't use a screen protector since I carry the Pre in the included sleeping bag.

The screen is very scratch resistant. Best I have seen with a plastic screen.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I use the Boxwave Cleartouch Glossy Screen protector, touchstone charger (optional), seidio belt holster. Keyboard working great after 4 months of Heavy Use. And the FuelTank Charger for that low battery emergency (but still using stock battery)

Welcome!
    I personally just carry mine in a little leather pouch I bought for it, use the touchstone charger(both at home and in my car) and a Mugen 1400mAH extended battery. And keyboard still works great for me and I'm a huge texter/emailer. And welcome to the forums!
    I agree with the vote for Phantomskinz. I have invisiShield on my iPod, so I knew I didn't want that on a touchscreen surface.

Also, install it yourself! The mouth-breather at the mall doesn't have to live with his results. Take your time at it. I spent over 45 minutes on it, and it came out perfect. (Corners can be difficult. Make sure to let them dry out and just press and hold in small sections for long periods of time.)

I also suggest the Touchstone. The back cover is quite nice.

What would you recommend I immediately do in the "Settings" department before I even begin using the phone?
    The first thing I would do is get it on the charger and then do an Update. It's likely yours won't have 1.2.1 from the box.

For me, I manually transferred my contacts. That gave me the opportunity to clean up the years of cruft. It also ensured I successfully linked all the contacts the way I wanted them.

If you're not reliant on Exchange for your calendar or contacts, I suggest using your Google account as the primary. That way you can view and edit all of your info directly from Google services.

Know whats on and off. Most of the time I never need GPS, so I keep it off to save battery (Location Services -> top left menu -> Locate me using... -> uncheck GPS). Also, if you don't need it, you can turn off Bluetooth and WiFi from the top-right menu. Besides that, you can probably drop the brightness down some (I usually find around the double-s to be a good spot).

Oh, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned this: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ps-tricks.html
    That PDF is an absolute gold-mine of Pre info.

Tweaks, patches, and hacks can all come later once you become comfortable with your Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I have had my pre for a while.....the keyboard is gr8....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    So... when I get the phone home. Before I add any contacts or anything to it.

Just make sure you understand about the different "accounts" for contacts and calendar. A lot of folks have transferred their contacts (and calendar) using the default Palm Profile account, and then discovered they can't export them and are dependent on Palm for backup. I highly recommend getting a Google account and using it as your default (unless you're already tied to something else like Exchange or Outlook). This gives you many options later if you happen to change your mind (although I'm very pleased with how Google and the Pre work together).

I made the mistake of buying the Body Glove snap on case. Almost impossible to put on, I thought for sure I was going to crack the screen trying to get the front piece on. After many attempts, I finally did get both pieces on but they were just as impossible to get off. Other people have bought it and liked it but I wasn't impressed at all.

If the back piece was easy to install/remove I may have a better opinion of it because I have a Touchstone and I wasn't about to give that up. I thought that maybe I could just remove the rear piece each night, charge the phone and re-install the rear piece in the morning.

With the amount of force required to install, I doubt my Pre would have lasted a week before being damaged.

If you do decide to go with it, you can get it for $13.99 + shipping from MrHit website.
    +1 on the Boxwave screen protector. It's removable and washable so you never need more than one. It's the best screen protector I've ever used and use it on all my phones. However it doesn't cover the whole phone, but I always put a case on my phones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast