Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Many of my outgoing GSM Pre calls end, before a connection is established, in a "Call Dropped" message, with a choice to redial or OK that. After some trials I found that when I am on 3G, something like 4 out of 5 calls get dropped, sometimes 10 out of 10. When I am on 2G, almost none get dropped. I fixed on 2G and 3G connection modes by setting the phone preferences.
    I have a German unlocked Pre, running a webdoctered Sprint webOS 2.1, and data enabled by changing the Pre's provider database.

I read US Pre dropped calls, don't think that's applicable to the GSM version. I appreciate that those modifications add a lot of uncertainties here, but has anyone else these drops on a GSM Pre?

EDIT: see this post for my solution: switching to a new provider
    Last edited by Dick99999; 04/15/2010 at 02:40 AM. Reason: solution, mine
    well if your running on att that's normal just ask an iphone user
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    Haven't noticed this myself. I've can't remember the last time I got a dropped call. It makes sense if you are in an area with poor 3G signal, though your phone should switch over to 2G automatically. My Pre switches over to 2G seamlessly in the middle of the call if the signal is poor. I'm on O2 in Ireland though, so I imagine it varies by network.
    I sometimes get this as I am in a low reception area for 3G, I also sometimes get the text failed to send error. When I force a 2G connection there are no problems at all. I think you are just in a low 3G signal area.
    Man, I get this SO much. I would say 2 out of 5. It makes a hell of a noise when it does it too!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_freegan View Post
    Man, I get this SO much. I would say 2 out of 5. It makes a hell of a noise when it does it too!
    Agreed think I mite sue palm for deafness in my left ear!
    I got this problem a couple of times as well.

It was annoying but later the call finally got through.
    Double post. Sorry
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I am on O2 in the UK in a pretty poor reception area and I have had no problems with dropped calls so far.
  10. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    No worries with dropped calls in UK here either. People are complaining they are going straight to voicemail for incoming calls, but outboubd works fine for me
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I had the same issue with mine GSM Plam Pre (from o2 Germany), on my network (in Lithuania Tele2) I've noticed that once I'm on 3G, sometimes it will drop calls (or if someone calls me they will get message that Im out of coverage or my phone is turned off).

On 3G sometimes it just randomly loosed coverage, (SOS-No network or something like that) and that after a while it would connect to 2G network (E or G in the corner), later again connected to 3G.

I've just manually switched to 2G and the problem was gone...
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    No worries with dropped calls in UK here either. People are complaining they are going straight to voicemail for incoming calls, but outboubd works fine for me
    Ive noticed this once when i recived a voicemail message yesterday with no call notification prior, and my phone had been on with coverage so that was not the issue either. Also a few friends have been trying to get through to me but to no avail, hmmm thought it was just me.

Also been getting the occasional no network SOS then phone gets back to network a minute later, this happens reglarly but pretty random when. o2 3G is crap imho.
    I have had a single dropped call and I have been working throughout Scotland. Where are you?
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
  14. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Has anyone contacted O2 about this issue?
    I have emailed them. They told me to call the Palm Pre helpline which I will do tomorrow.

I live in Lytham, Lancashire. However I am in a touring band and experience this problem everywhere. It really is very frequent, and has been with both of my Pres.

And yes, it displays full signal, but will be unable to make/receive calls for 5 minutes or so, then will suddenly start working again.

Not sure if this is related, but often I get my phone out of my pocket, and the 'enter pin code' screen will be up, or it'll just pop up whilst I'm using the phone then get on with it's business. It's so weird.
    i had a dropped call, was talking fine, and then the phone said No carrier or signal or something, a few seconds later it sorted itself out and i was able to call my mate back
    Mine is also getting this... turning off data didnt seem to help much.. I am in the PHilippines on Globe Telecom...
    i have NEVER got a dropped call till i got the Pre , didnt know it existed!

remember to add this to the forums on palm support :0
    The Unofficial GSM Palm Pre Bug Thread - webOS Software - Palm Support Community
    you think emergency calls would also get dropped?
    just wondering, cos that would be worrying
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Dropped calls on 3G only is weird behaviour, since 3G supports simultaneous data and calls. 2G does not, but the data connection should be terminated, not the call. Have never come across this, but Sprint fw doesn't provide GSM modem updates anymore. Perhaps it's related?
    3G and 2G use different radios so if the phone has to drop the 3G connection due to poor signal it has to hand over to the 2G radio and in my experience this is when calls get dropped.

I have pretty patchy 3G coverage where I am (London and the home counties) and this is one of the main reasons I have my Pre set to 2G only. That and the fact that constantly searching for a 3G signal saps the battery big time. I only turn on the 3G when I am trying to do something data intensive without a wifi connection.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast