Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am experiencing dropped calls problem with my Pre in Salvador, Brazil. I have a Swisscom sim.

So I put the sim card into my Palm Centro and the problem is gone.

Who is to blame, Pre or the network?
  2.    #42  
    Did you try the option 2G only under network type in phone preferences? That might reveal whether it's a 3G problem or both 2G/3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick99999 View Post
    Did you try the option 2G only under network type in phone preferences? That might reveal whether it's a 3G problem or both 2G/3G
    I have switched to 2G only and could call a local number without problem.
  4.    #44  
    My 3G calls were frequently dropped, sometimes 8 out of 10. If I switched to 2G-only, call drops were neglectable, like appia's experience. My provider acknowledged the problem after months and months of investigation. They suggested to terminate my contract.
    I switched to Vodafone NL (live.vodafone.com) and the problem seems gone, seems because it's looks well but just after a few days of experience.

I suspect that it is a 3G network problem, the signal strength was at 3 bars but it varied a lot. But it could also be a Pre problem with certain networks. Unfortunately my previous provider would not share the cause, even after I suggested it was likely 3G-call capacity.

I have 5 bars of signal strength with my new provider on the test location. I do get voice response that inform me that numbers are out of coverage, but could only test that for 2 SIP landlines. That is different form tomi666's experience. And because 2G always connected (like appia) I don't think my problem was out of coverage of the other phone.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    O2 pre with clean webOS 1.4.1 i have always had calls drop when I have minimum two bars signal in 3G which I was willing to live with as generally my signals are good but I bought an online game (NOVA) and I just could not connect to the server for online play even with a full 3G and clean install of WebOS but I can connect via wifi so definately for me its the phone I think... sending it back on monday so here's to 14 days without a pre. I was getting my emails etc okay but boy was web browsing slow in 3G.

Also my number does not come up in device info and O2 Active does not recognise my number as well.... I think I have a sick pre
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Taigerr View Post
    ......and I just could not connect to the server for online play even with a full 3G and clean install of WebOS but I can connect via wifi so definately for me its the phone I think... sending it back on monday so here's to 14 days without a pre. I was getting my emails etc okay but boy was web browsing slow in 3G.
    That was indeed one of my 3G problems with tmobile-NL too. You get an IP address, but no real data capacity for example around the RAI, Amsterdam. When I switched to 2G my data (web browsing) was actually faster..... I am convinced that in my case it was the network not the Pre. I wonder what the iPhone users experience. Tmobile supplies that here in NL.

.....Also my number does not come up in device info and O2 Active does not recognise my number as well.... I think I have a sick pre
    That seems to be ok. Even with my Vodafone connection I have no number in device info. The 3G connections works really well.
  7.    #47  
    My problem of the dropped 3G calls unraveled. I have not had a single dropped call with my new provider these last months. That's one part.

My old provider now publicly admitted they have a capacity problem and offer 2 month free 3G data usage to customers. There is even a class action started. They are right i.m.o that the problem is not only the data capacity. but also 3G dropped calls, my original problem that started this thread.

The data problem was also evident, one did get an IP address but no data capacity, very evident around the big convention center in Amsterdam.
    For att palm pre users. When att launches the new iphone this june, they will be turning on the 14 hsdpa network, along with several 3g towers that are turned off AND the entire fiber network. What this means is when the new iphone comes out, your dropped calls will be greatly reduced and your internet speeds will get better. It will be litterly a night and day difference. Ask any iphone customer, as they will be having the same issues that pre users have. I know all this because i work for at&T. If you dont want to take my word for it, here are two articles, one about the plan and another about people actually experiencing the difference. This will not be an announced thing, but rather a thing att will be doing quietly.
    Operation “Fine Edge” to boost speed of AT&T’s EDGE network before the iPhone’s arrival | iPhone Buzz
    Users Report Faster EDGE Speeds Ahead of iPhone Launch - PCWorld
    I have vodavone german pre and I activate on telkomsel network in Indonesia. The phone has a blank spot in kuta area about 10 KM2. Network indicator shows SOS ONLY, and response is unable associate with network. This problem occur only in this area, while in the other area both 2G and 3G running very well. I've try to switch another carrier and work fine in all area.
  10. dw
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    i have NEVER got a dropped call till i got the Pre , didnt know it existed!

remember to add this to the forums on palm support :0
    The Unofficial GSM Palm Pre Bug Thread - webOS Software - Palm Support Community
    similar with my Pre - the handover from 3G to GSM rarely works (glad it works at all...) . particularly annoying when in the car. Take a ride south of Münster and you will find the device disconnect within less than a minute while on the motorway.
    possibly the poor transmission capabilities of the Pre. My first Pre behaved and performed slightly better - the second is even a poorer device for phone calls, however.

today again I could not receive calls while having a good 3G connection. Found out because I called my own phone and the device refused to answer. While beeing "on line" with o2 Germany.
    d
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123