17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: all the time

6 35.29%
  • No: keep my opinion to myself

3 17.65%
  • Sometimes: if i feel like it

8 47.06%
  1.    #1  
    was just wondering how many of you actually post a review for the app you just paid for.

the app catalog used to post how many downloads a specific app had but i always noticed how the reviews weren't proportional to the amount downloaded. hopefully this gives us, at least me, a good idea on how many apps people actually buy.
    My app (Dealert) has close to 1,000 downloads, and only 38 reviews. It is a paid app. Hopefully that will give you a good idea of the ratio.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Not writing reviews is very common in app downloads. Most do not care (unless they have a problem), some do not want their thoughts public, and some just do not even realize they can. It varies from app to app, but review rates can be as low as 0.4% to 2-5%.

EDIT: Then there are those who intend to write a review, but never get around to it.
    I don't download a lot of apps. I'm kind of an essentials guy only. But the apps on the catalog that I have bought, I have written reviews, and made sure I gave it a star rating. Also I will find ways to contact the developer to help improve their app or report bugs.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Not writing reviews is very common in app downloads. Most do not care (unless they have a problem), some do not want their thoughts public, and some just do not even realize they can. It varies from app to app, but review rates can be as low as 0.4% to 2-5%.

EDIT: Then there are those who intend to write a review, but never get around to it.

ohh so they actually keep a log for you the developer? but i wonder why they decided to not make download counts public...
    Quote Originally Posted by ebernal718 View Post
    ohh so they actually keep a log for you the developer? but i wonder why they decided to not make download counts public...
    Actually, no, not yet. All the info I have is based on downloads, reviews, stats I can get from the online downloads, and user registrations. There is also the Preware patch to see downloads...

They promise to get these reports to use (sales, downloads, reviews, etc), but not sure when that will be.

It's strange.. Of my 3 apps:
    (Free) ZIP Code Tools has 16,596 and 101 reviews
    (Free) FlashCards Lite has 22,000+ downloads, and like 40 reviews.
    (Paid) FlashCards has 646+ downloads and 33 reviews.

It's all over the map, and like this for many other apps too.
  7.    #7  
    thats exactly why i wanted to know. for apps like Flashcards, user content is supported and encouraged but not knowing if there are enough people who actually use the app let alone create their own content is somewhat disheartening.

the catalog is still BETA so all we can do is wait.
    The FlashCards content is filling out quite nicely. Over 1,138 user submitted already. Most are private, but they are warming up. It's only been public to the app catalog for 16 days, so I don't expect hundreds of thousands.

That's why I developed tools and videosto import from other sites. Not finding what you want on our database? Get it from Quizlet, Flash Card Exchange, ProProfs, etc. I actually put in an email to FCE to see if I can get access to their system directly. Quizlet has an API that I am working on. StudyStack.com is also doing an export specifically for this app as well.

I plan to support it mostly with the Editor's Picks. I had 320 when I first launched, and now I have over 600. These of course are good sets -- not crappy 5 card ones. Doing a lot more trivia on my own as well, and children's. They just take time to compile and create, especially image based ones like the children's. Looking into how much audio I can use from commercial songs and maybe do a 'name that tune' type series if I can do it legally.

If you are concerned with content, please do not be. It will grow a lot, especially after the Pixi launch and all those kids getting ahold of it. It's one of the more popular paid apps in the catalog.