Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hypothetically about how much data would be average....a friend of mine is already at 3.5 gigs
    I dont recommend using tether for downloading.. I only use tether when Im out and need to research something. Just pulling web pages you could use it all the time but when downloading you will deplete 5g pretty quickly.

Especially dont use torrents while tethering as Sprint can see All of the IPs you are sharing w/
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

3.    #3  
    has this 5g limit been confirmed?
    I believe the 5GB limit is only for aircards, if you're tethering from your phone - Pre or otherwise - you're using your true unlimited data... you're also going against Sprint's wishes, but how much does that matter to most of us? haha
  5.    #5  
    has this 5g limit been confirmed?
    yes going over 5gigs a few times will red flag your account so be careful...
    I have both a Palm Pre and a aircard. When I go to the sprint web site and look at my usage details there is a link on the air card page that says "Data limitations may apply" Click on the link and there it tells you about the 5GB limit (300 MB roaming). No such link exits under the usage details for the Pre. That could mean the 5GB limit doesn't include the pre.
  8.    #8  
    hmmm any members work for sprint?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    dont work for sprint but it is limited to 5g's, i called to find out
    5gig limit is only on aircards, not simply everything...
  11.    #11  
    hmm ok I guess I can stay under 5 gigs...so much for torrenting
    Quote Originally Posted by elliebeth View Post
    5gig limit is only on aircards, not simply everything...
    ahh my little one post wonder......wrong. Yes you are correct that the aircards do have a 5 gig limit.

What you fail to comprehend is "TETHERING IS NOT ALLOWED BY SPRINT"

And what you are being ever so nicely told is keep your tethering under 5 gigs so sprint doesn't have a reason to look into why/how you managed to use over 5 gigs on your palm pre because then they can tell you have been tethering and promptly cancel your contract or charge you accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by winehead99 View Post
    ahh my little one post wonder......wrong. Yes you are correct that the aircards do have a 5 gig limit.

And what you are being ever so nicely told is keep your tethering under 5 gigs so sprint doesn't have a reason to look into why/how you managed to use over 5 gigs on your palm pre because then they can tell you have been tethering and promptly cancel your contract or charge you accordingly.
    Actually you can easily download 5gb of files directly onto your pre. Sprint can't punish you for legitimate usage, or potential legitimate usage. Man up when you talk to them about it, they WILL tell you not to.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts

How can they tell you're tethering??? There is a Linux torrent client posted right on webos-internals.org. Theoretically, it can be run from your Pre using the Terminal App and you could download any number of torrents to your Pre's USB partition. Very legitimate use, imo.
  15.    #15  
    very true...even though i can't seem to get it to work
  16.    #16  
    so hmmm actualy someone would be pretty safe if they kept tethering usage to basic browsing and if they needed to torrent simply use rtorrent for the pre?
    People, people...

Tethering is not allowed by Sprint. The fact that Sprint has turned a blind eye to it so far is practically them doing us a *favor*, and we should return that favor by not abusing it.

I tether on the order of once a month, when I'm traveling, and when I do I just web browse and IM. My total monthly usage has never gone over 1GB even on a month when I tethered more than usual because my home DSL was down.

Sprint has always been nice enough to turn a blind eye to tethering, even though it's technically not allowed. We should be nice enough to not abuse it, and keep the usage down as much as possible, because if too many people abuse tethering we may end up with Sprint putting technological measures in place to stop it. This would be bad!
    Agreed. As a group we should agree to limit tethering to less than 1 GB / month in order to protect us all...

thanks for making me never post here again. I wasn't even supporting tethering, just stating fact. I don't tether at all because I know sprint isn't okay with it.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    The 5gig limit is only intended for the air cards and it does not apply to the everything data plans. I easily use 2-4 gig every month on my pre and that is with out tethering. I use the pre as my main mode of internet use during the day, and I stream music all the time from Pandora.

I think that the problem lies when someone who usually uses 1-2 gig a month all of sudden uses 10gig - that would clue Sprint in that you are tehering your phone. I agree with the other posters that we (tether users) use the tethering on our Pre's responsibly, so that Sprint doesn't take it away. I love that our data plans are unlimited because if they weren't we (heavy data users) would be screwed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast