1. sjh
    Last week, I took my Pre out of my suit coat pocket and found that a crack had appeared, extending from the bottom edgy of the USB port, up the right side of the bezel, and onto the front surface of the screen. Since then, the crack has grown longer, and is now extending about 1/4 inch across the screen.

Has anybody else had this happen? I didn't drop, or hit, or bang the Pre or anything. It lives it its little pouch, in fact. I baby the dang thing!

Any advice on how to manage this with Sprint? Looks like a design flaw or build quality issue to me.

Thanks for any thoughts!
    The design of the port cover is bad. Obviously designed more for appearance than function. I reached under and past the cover and pulled on the small (and very thin) piece behind it which broke. Luckily the break is not visible when the port is closed. It's a pretty precise little operation to slide your nail between the cover and upper slider and not 1/100 of an inch further behind the sliver of the upper slider that broke off. I was lucky that the crack didn't extend all the way to the top like yours did. I have insurance so I called Sprint, no replacement. My slider also rotates a little more than I think it should. No replacement on this issue also.
    from people posting it sounds as though you are just better off ripping the cover off cause it's gonna fail anyways. the mention of cracks suck though... bad design.

i was just looking at pics of the eris on one of precentrals sister sites and i have to say its a real nice looking phone and love the design and noticed that added touch where the metal bezel also incorporates a metal frame around the usb port. nice.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-dr...-photo-gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Thud View Post
    The design of the port cover is bad. I reached under and past the cover and pulled on the small (and very thin) piece behind it which broke. Luckily the break is not visible when the port is closed. It's a pretty precise little operation to slide your nail between the cover and upper slider and not 1/100 of an inch further behind the sliver of the upper slider that broke off. I was lucky that the crack didn't extend all the way to the top like yours did. I have insurance so I called Sprint, no replacement. My slider also rotates a little more than I think it should. No replacement on this issue also.
    Even if you remove the door the crack will happen. It's not from the door, it's from the micro USB cable putting too much stress on the plastic.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    2 of my 5 pre's have done this. And I baby my phone. This time I am not buying a nice screen protector, tired of spending 15.00 for each replacement.
    palm really dropped the ball on the quality. i understand they want to sell touchstones....thereby making it HARD to put the usb in....but seriously....they HAD to have tested this thing before sending it out, hard to believe theyd just be like "oh well its extremely difficult to remove the door....i dont think anyone will care."
    it seems easy to open the door to me, just open the slider and then it's really easy.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Im so ****ed and it makes since that using the usb cord causes the phone to crack I got a crack and im ready to KILL ! this ****ty *** plastic phone
    it's a known, documented issue. Take it to a store and get them to order a new one. If they tell you to go through insurance, tell them they are wrong. This assumes you are still under warranty, but known defects should still be covered.

If it happens again, post and ask me how to repair it before it crosses into your screen.

Good luck.
    Um, the post is two years old.
    had this happen to me and my wife's pre plus. verizon replaced them no questions asked.