Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    to all you people who don't think the Palm Pre has video output.Well think again!I was chatting the other day with one of the Palm inc employees when I told him if Palm pre supports video output.He said that Palm Pre does and it has the hardware to do this.He said that all it needs is a software update.The hardware does support it after all!
    and you believe them???... good for u
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    and you believe them???... good for u
    I take it you never saw the presentations where they show the Pre output on the projector?
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCarnley View Post
    I take it you never saw the presentations where they show the Pre output on the projector?
    i've been seen the youtube videos from the developers making the pre work with the video ...but if you can give me the link where palm do that presentation....i could really apreciate it!
    thanks!
    Could you post the link where palm developers are making video work on the pre? Thanks.
    So, the question is; Did the poster mean video CAPTURE or video OUTPUT? Since most of us have seen the Palm Inc. PREsentatons, video output was not a question (of course, with a modified Pre), I'd like to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and think they meant CAPTURE.

Now, since we've seen demos of the Pre doing videos, I don't think that capability is even in doubt. What most of us are looking for is the interface for such! Given the rumors of one of the IM clients offering video mail, I have no doubt we'll see something wthin a few months.

The only real question is 'When?'
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    I think those videos weve seen of the palm on the big screen were done on the emulator not the Pre itself.

I could be wrong though!

Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

8.    #8  
    of course I believe them. The guy I chatted with online was from Palm inc.He said that he went to his supervisor and then he came back a few minutes later and said that Palm Pre's hardware suppoert video output and all it needs is a software update.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFPOSGBCS View Post
    to all you people who don't think the Palm Pre has video output.Well think again!I was chatting the other day with one of the Palm inc employees when I told him if Palm pre supports video output.He said that Palm Pre does and it has the hardware to do this.He said that all it needs is a software update.The hardware does support it after all!
    There is no doubt that the TI 3430 OMAP3 processor has a video out capablility. It seems highly improbable that Palm have made the necessary connections internally to access it. Where would would you connect? USB maybe?

Although, given the evidence that the Pre was put to the market with the software just complete enough to be saleable, maybe there is some chance.
    Last edited by johncc; 11/07/2009 at 11:02 PM.
    through the headphone jack , thats where it was connected in the video i saw (the presentation)
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  11. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Look closer in that video... I think they've got a little ribbon cable snaking out between the two halves of the phone.

xtn
    Yes. I think that the original presentation was a patched up job. It was certainly a bulky cable.

If they were to use the headphone jack they would have to drop to mono sound and I don't think that they would do that. And some video cameras do have USB 2.0 output.
    The Pre uses the Qualcom MSM6801A baseband processor along with the TI OMAP3430. I was not able to find a data sheet for the MSM6801A, but the MSM6800 series data sheet includes a video processor engine. The video engine is capable of recording up to 15 Frames Per Second.

If the MSM6801A also includes the video engine, it is reasonable to say the hardware supports video recording. I just don't know if the MSM6801A includes all the bells and whistles of the MSM6800.
    The video (and many other goodies) is available from the TI 3430 OMAP3. Link to TI specs sheet below.

OMAP 3 Processors - OMAP3430
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    forget video "out" what about video "in"..even 9.99 cells come with video recorder I mean why would they make a camera phone and not add video while in the drawling board stage >? I would love to hear from a engineer on this one
    i think we're talking about video capture, right? op?!
    video output would be super duper

would love to shoot my Pre videos on my car screen
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    The demo Pres used by Palm are specially modified, with a video cable hardwired onto the circuit board and coming out a hole in the case. If that's what you consider to be a viable video out for users, then by all means pull out the soldering iron and get to work.

Video capture through USB could be done with the Pre hooked up to a computer, running an export app on the phone and a capture app on the computer. It would be a low FPS kind of thing, just enough for basic purposes. If that's what you consider to be a viable video out, then start writing the software.

Neither of these is what most people consider to be a true/usable/viable video out (like you'd get from the dock connector on an iPhone). The Pre has a circuit-board level video out (which is what is soldered up for the demo phones) but it is not physically connected to anything on production Pres.

This has been discussed many times before, and by people who know what they are talking about. Having looked into it myself, I am in agreement that there is no true video out.
  19. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Well, why couldn't the circuit-board video out be hooked up to a video cable that, instead of coming out a hole in the case, terminates at a video jack at the case. Perhaps near the audio jack?

Aside from cramming it in there, what's not viable about that?

What format is the video when it comes off the board anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    What format is the video when it comes off the board anyway?
    According to the spec sheet linked above.

(MPEG4, WMV9, RealVideo, H263, H264) encode/decode at D1 (720x480 pixels) 30 fps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast