Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    Poking Around webOS 1.3

    Looks like one of the big things I've wanted will be released: Seems there will be a default apps preference, which seems like it should, for example, allow tapping on an address to default to opening with Sprint Navigation, instead of Google Maps.
  2. #2  
    Wow - that's an interesting preview!
  3. Keegsta's Avatar
    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    #3  
    Cool. I just want it to be snappier please.
    Drove 3 hours to buy my Palm Pre on day one.
  4. #4  
    Personally I'm upset by the preview. Not only has a developer broken NDA and given Tim Carroll the SDK, but Tim has publicly written a preview on PalmInfocenter. This causes a 2-fold effect. Not only will this tarnish PIC's reputation and decrease positive communication with Palm, but it will also mean Palm will be forced to be more strict with beta SDK distribution, affecting many more developers than this leak is ever worth.

    Believe me, I can see how this preview does give some well-wanted immediate-gratification for those Pre users waiting for 1.3.1, but I hope some people also consider what this kind of high-profile "leak" means towards the palm and developer community as a whole.

    Besides, it's not as if we aren't already expecting 1.3.1 to be released with the Pixi around Nov 15th. A li'l over a week isn't exactly a long wait to see the finished product.

    So feel free to flame me now, but hopefully I've earned some for of respect on these forums
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Not only has a developer broken NDA
    I could be mistaken, but I don't think that everyone who has it signed NDAs, did they? I know most have, but I thought I remembered at least one person saying they haven't signed one.
  6. bruba's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    #6  
    I don't see how knowing 1.3.1's features in advance would hurt. And why Palm would care that much. It's not like there'll be dozens of features the competition can not know about. There probably won't be any like that at all.

    If they send it to select developers and will release it in a week or so, before Pixi's launch, they might as well announce the new features and create some hype.

    Another reason for not announcing might be "not worth announcing" of course..
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I don't think that everyone who has it signed NDAs, did they? I know most have, but I thought I remembered at least one person saying they haven't signed one.
    It's true the NDA was sent out after the files were made available, though I don't believe anyone will argue the purpose of the beta was for developers to check for compatibility, not for leaking to news blogs. Even before the NDA, it was well known the files were part of a private developer program.

    The fact they were posted, at least if I were Palm, would indicate the private program wasn't private enough.

    Plus, on a more personal level, I'm a bit upset Internalz was used in the screenshot. But at least it's getting used, eh
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    I don't see how knowing 1.3.1's features in advance would hurt. And why Palm would care that much. It's not like there'll be dozens of features the competition can not know about. There probably won't be any like that at all.
    It's not so much the competition, but the fact that, yet again, their private SDK has been brought into the public eye, before Palm's even able to finish it (in the sense the leaked version was an unfinished one). It just seems to should Palm isn't being as script as something they label "private" should be. And I'm worried that could hurt developers next round.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  9. #9  
    I'll cop that criticism, Jay. (You know I still love you, right?)

    Look, I did think about it before I posted, but the long and short of it for me is: I'm not a developer, I don't work for Palm and I didn't sign any agreements. My job at PIC isn't to keep anybody's secrets - although I will do so when asked, as I've done on more than one occasion. My job is to report interesting Palm news, and in this case the SDK fell in my lap.

    Like we already discussed on Twitter - I don't think this will hurt developer relations with Palm any. Fact of the matter is they need you guys on board and they need you to be prepared for OS updates, so they're not going to stop seeding future updates. And what's more, I think positive leaks like this actually help Palm's cause rather than hinder it. Everyone wants a webOS update, especially in the face of new competitors like Droid, so this having this info out there will only make people happy.

    As for Internalz - it's your own fault for making such a damn good program! Feel free to deny me future updates, but know it will make me very .

    Hug?
    Tim Carroll, Blogger
  10. bruba's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    It's not so much the competition, but the fact that, yet again, their private SDK has been brought into the public eye, before Palm's even able to finish it (in the sense the leaked version was an unfinished one). It just seems to should Palm isn't being as script as something they label "private" should be. And I'm worried that could hurt developers next round.
    Technically the SDK didn't leak. Somebody just posted about it. Just saying, if they're gonna release something, they might as well announce it instead of just putting it out there. It basically means 2 instead of 1 Palm blog post on your average phone blog.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by freakout View Post
    Like we already discussed on Twitter - I don't think this will hurt developer relations with Palm any. Fact of the matter is they need you guys on board and they need you to be prepared for OS updates, so they're not going to stop seeding future updates. And what's more, I think positive leaks like this actually help Palm's cause rather than hinder it. Everyone wants a webOS update, especially in the face of new competitors like Droid, so this having this info out there will only make people happy.
    Palm didn't need as many developers in the early beta program as they got. The beta program, at least in my eyes, was for software compatibility. Now, Palm could have just as well taken a much smaller group of developers, but instead chuq was generous enough to do mostly open invites. I'm worried things might not go so smoothly next time. Plus, what your article detailed was a painting half done, not really the same as seeing the finished thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by freakout View Post
    As for Internalz - it's your own fault for making such a damn good program! Feel free to deny me future updates, but know it will make me very Hug?
    While I may not agree with your decision to write the article, I can't argue that Internalz is a damn good program. lol, jk, I'm not really that egotistically Internalz is always free for all, but if you're gonna use a screenshot of it with a story like this, a heads-up at least would be appreciated.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Technically the SDK didn't leak. Somebody just posted about it. Just saying, if they're gonna release something, they might as well announce it instead of just putting it out there. It basically means 2 instead of 1 Palm blog post on your average phone blog.
    unless Tim suddenly became a developer overnight and got admitted to the program, someone leaked the SDK to him, which he wrote about
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  13. #13  
    We can agree to disagree, then. And fair enough on the heads-up. will do.

    Must be off now. Constantly fiddling with your phone while out with friends is the height of antisocial, IMO.

    (still waiting for that hug! xD )
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by freakout View Post
    We can agree to disagree, then. And fair enough on the heads-up. will do.

    Must be off now. Constantly fiddling with your phone while out with friends is the height of antisocial, IMO.

    (still waiting for that hug! xD )
    *hug*
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  15. cashen's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    #15  
    Its like sneaking around your house when you were a kid to see what you were getting for Christmas. I kinda like the surprise! What is me knowing i can pick default apps going to do? I can die a happy man now...
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    *hug*
    *sneaks in grope*
  17. #17  
    completely agree with Jason here, not having a go at you freakout.
    Personally I think that if Palm has not released any information about 1.3.1 then they dont want any information about it to be released, so I would stay silent if someone gave me the SDK.

    Having said that, I am surprised that it has taken this long for it to get out, was 1.3.1 released to developers about 2-3weeks ago? So a big thumbs up to all those developers who kept it secret.
  18. #18  
    My biggest pet peeve with the Pre is that mapping calendar locations opens up Google Maps instead of Sprint Nav...that's a huge improvement!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  19. osirus's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    It's true the NDA was sent out after the files were made available, though I don't believe anyone will argue the purpose of the beta was for developers to check for compatibility, not for leaking to news blogs. Even before the NDA, it was well known the files were part of a private developer program.

    The fact they were posted, at least if I were Palm, would indicate the private program wasn't private enough.

    Plus, on a more personal level, I'm a bit upset Internalz was used in the screenshot. But at least it's getting used, eh
    That Was Funny Jason I Would Hope You"d Make Internalz available To Read .zip Files And Open Them

Posting Permissions