1.    #1  
    I used iTunes to add several GB of music to my Pre. I have since used iTunes to adjust the volume of the various mp3 files. Now that iTunes no longer syncs with the Pre, I thought I would use MarkSpace to replace the old mp3 files with the adjusted files.

But it turns out that Mark Space adds the mp3 files in a different place, thus duplicating rather than replacing the files. In no time at all I had filled all available storage space on my Pre, and MarkSpace was unable to finish.

No problem, I thought... I'll just delete the iTunes mp3 files, and let Mark Space do the whole thing from scratch.

But, using my Mac, I've opened every conceivable folder on the Pre, and I cannot find the iTunes mp3 files.

Where would they be?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    They are in a hidden folder that you can't see from a Mac. You'll have to hook up to a Windows PC that has the "Show Hidden Folders" option turned on in order to delete them.
    It IS possible to show hidden folders on a mac.

Open Terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

Finder restarts and BAM, hidden folders.

Of course, to go back to 'normal', replace true with FALSE.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laelipoo View Post
    It IS possible to show hidden folders on a mac.

Open Terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

Finder restarts and BAM, hidden folders.

Of course, to go back to 'normal', replace true with FALSE.
    You mean there's not an app for that.

Thanks for the tip.
    itunes put your music in a un-manageable fashion, go into the hidden folder, there is no way in hell to tell which is which.

strongly suggest drag n drop in usb mode
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post

Thanks for the tip.
    No prob. Just delete the entire folder. The Missing Sync is well worth the money. It even makes ringtones.
    Why don't you just stay with itunes 9.0.1 and not have this problem at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    Because eventually, one needs to update iTunes on a mac, so they can update quicktime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    Better question would be...

Why would you even use iTunes with the Pre when iTunes is quite the proprietary piece of trash designed to lock you in and p!ss you off when you want control over your own music?
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Better question would be...

Why would you even use iTunes with the Pre when iTunes is quite the proprietary piece of trash designed to lock you in and p!ss you off when you want control over your own music?
    Cause Palm hasn't offered a better solution and though there are plenty of things i dislike about itunes, one of which is it's a resource hog, many of the alternatives like doubletwist and songbird are bigger hogs and grind to a hault on large collections. Not to mention there is not requirement that you actually buy stuff from apple to use itunes. That being said the music player on the pre is so bad and syncing podcasts such a pain i now use it to play music as a last resort most of the time.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post

Thanks for the tip.

Oh, man. That was sharp biting sarcasm!!! NICE!! The force is strong with this one!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Cause Palm hasn't offered a better solution and though there are plenty of things i dislike about itunes...
    Palm hasn't offered a better solution? What's wrong with dragging and dropping music files? I've been doing that since late-2001, early-2002 with my MP3 players. I won't buy any multimedia device that won't simply drag and drop, and the Pre is no different.

That's why I don't understand the whole fascination with iTunes? What can it do that dragging and dropping doesn't accomplish? Are you looking for a tag editing program? There are specific apps for that. Dunno what they are on Windows, but there's quite a few for Linux (EasyTag, Audio Tag Tool, Cowbell, etc.). Is there something else iTunes does that I'm unaware of? Please let me know... I've been dying to hear this for the longest time.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    If you have more than 5GB of music like most people have in 2009, dragging and dropping is not an option. You need to set up a smart playlist in iTunes to randomly pick a subset of your music. Doubletwist can sync this to you Pre of course, but my experience has been that the album artwork doesn't come across.
    5GB OF MUSIC?!?

Nobody could ever use that much space!!

You should really look into alternatives, tho. There are THOUSANDS, I'm sure. Just because everybody around you doesn't have it, doesn't mean it won't do the job just fine.

Personally, I'm sure I'd manage between "Flylists" in Music Player Remix... random... Pandora... Accuradio... etc. "Smart playlists" is definitely a feature I'd never considered before, but I'm sure there are several alternatives that do the same thing. My app, Rhythmbox on Ubuntu, has the ability to create "New Automatic Playlists", where you can use all kindsa filters to pick out which songs get added to the playlist. I'm sure Amarok does the same thing, and it does have something specifically called "smart playlists". What that is, I honestly have no idea.

There are soooo many apps out there, it just upsets me that people don't even try looking at alternatives besides iTunes. I'm still waiting to find that one feature iTunes does that no other app can do.