Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I'm tired of the lag that comes as a result of the Pre swapping. I'm doing an experiment on my Pre in that I'm disabling swap memory. Will report back my findings.

-mark
    ps - has anyone tried this?
    Last edited by diomark; 11/06/2009 at 07:19 PM.
    I'm kind of doubting that this will help. But then I don't know.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Generally without swap, any computing device will work great right up
    until it simply locks or crashes. Most apps are not very tolerant
    of failure to allocate new memory.

Also what you think is lag due to swap, may be the lag due to garbage
    collection. WebOS apps don't manage their own memory. They just
    allocate new memory and eventually stop using it, and it's up to
    the OS to clean up unused memory and make it available to other apps.
    GC results in short pauses, quite often. You'll see it especially in
    any of the Pre's action games like Air Hockey.

ian
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    So my experience (~4 hours or so) running with NO swap was bad.. dropbox (ssh client) randomly shut down when I was low in memory (to be expected, the kernel starts killing random processes..)

I'm running with 64mb swap now (as opposed to the default 128mb's..) - and so far, so good.. will report back in a few days.

-mark
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Generally without swap, any computing device will work great right up
    until it simply locks or crashes. Most apps are not very tolerant
    of failure to allocate new memory.
    Yep - I'm well aware of gc collecting (I work for a major enterprise software developer as part of the performance team and it's been our Achilles heel)

BUT the best server is one that runs entirely without swap or with very little swap. Of course you have to make sure to size the memory properly and not have any memory leaks for that to work - same rules can apply to mobile devices.. Of course, there's a tradeoff there; memory is also used for caching which speeds things up - so swapping some of the lesser used apps and freeing memory up is a good thing.. to a point.. it's a balancing act really..

(personally, I'd love to see a Pre with twice the memory and better memory management..)

-mark
    Twice the memory?? That's it?!? I won't be happy with Palm until they give me 8GB of RAM and 2TB of storage.

And I'm guessing that running webOS with no swap is just as bad as running any desktopOS without swap, eh??

P.S. - Thanks for the other memory patch you put out. I could open up 20+ cards yesterday when somebody claimed they could get two 22. I chose the most intensive apps I could find, tho. Helps out a ton!!