Page 1 of 23 12345611 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Hi guys

there sure are a lot of Aussies on here! Even the webos guru rwhitby.

I thought it might be nice if we had a thread specifically for getting Palm Pres into our country and working on our networks.

Personally, I'm looking to have a QWERTY, unlocked Pre running voice, 3G and MMS on the Virgin Mobile Australia network (running on Optus' 900/2100 UMTS).

From what I can see in the carrier lists, the following Australian providers are listed:

SingTel Optus
    vodafone au
    Hutchison Australia
    Virgin Mobile (Optus Network)
    Telstra
    (TPG [Optus Network] is claimed by someone else in the forums selling a QWERTZ).

*Note: Please keep it restricted to QWERTY Pres, as we all know about the German ones but for many they just don't suit.
    Last edited by bennish; 11/07/2009 at 01:54 AM.
    Good idea re. the thread. Hopefully the talk of unlocking the UK phones comes off. I am happy to change networks for a Pre with reasonably priced data.

Looking forward to hearing about people's experience.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    thanks johncc

i'm looking at a spanish movistar one, actually. apparently there are some imei unlocked ones around
    You would reckon, grab a 32GB iPhone on unlimited calls and date from voda, unlock and sell the iphone keep the sim, pay for the Pre with the proceeds. :-) get good/great data plan for the Pre
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    You would reckon, grab a 32GB iPhone on unlimited calls and date from voda, unlock and sell the iphone keep the sim, pay for the Pre with the proceeds. :-) get good/great data plan for the Pre
    I was thinking of "SIM only" with 3 plus a data pack.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Guys, i've been using the German QWERTZ Pre here in Oz for a few days already, and it isn't all that hard to get used to the QWERTZ key layout... I guess you gotta weigh up:

a) How badly you want a Pre
    b) How much of a perfectionist you are

... keep in mind that an Unlocked 3G Pre in QWERTY format will be VERY unlikely for at least another 5 months, as O2 has an exclusivity deal for the UK / Ireland (and other parts of Europe). Recall that Sprint's exclusivity period is 6 months..

To get yourself used to the layout, you could either ... 1) put up with the switching of the Y and Z keys or 2) minimize ur use of the two keys or 3) read Rod Whitby's work around which switches the Y and Z back around..

Please refer to the GSM forum for the post that has a list of current known working Oz carriers. I can confirm that 3G and Data works on Hutchison 3! ... access to the Palm App Catalog and WebOS Downloads also works. One thing that is a bit of a downer is the GPS. It has some serious issues, but I believe Rod Whitby is also working on this... directly with palm i thinK?

Go on, treat your inner kid and get a German Pre... you know u wanna!

Haha, just jokes.. I just wanted to let you all know that being an Aussie and a German Pre owner, I don't regret my decision at all!!

Cheers,
    This is the only website I can see that even remotely suggests the possibility of selling an unlock GSM QWERTY Pre.

Negri Electronics - iPhones, Pocket PC's, Smart Phones, Cell Phones, Ultra Mobile PC's, PDA's, GPS Devices, Cameras and More...

Anyone heard of them? They report that the phone is expected to be available by Friday 13 November. *pinch of salt*
    That's not a horrible price if you trust the stockist but it obviously excludes shipping. People seem to be reporting good things from people on eBay but your ability to return/exchange is obviously limited there.

I'd expect a lot more places to be selling unlocked Pre's in the next week or two, if you're willing to deal with Expansys it might be worth waiting and seeing when it's available with them and how they price it as you'll get cheaper shipping and the ability to return your device in the event it's faulty.
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz View Post
    That's not a horrible price if you trust the stockist but it obviously excludes shipping. People seem to be reporting good things from people on eBay but your ability to return/exchange is obviously limited there.

I'd expect a lot more places to be selling unlocked Pre's in the next week or two, if you're willing to deal with Expansys it might be worth waiting and seeing when it's available with them and how they price it as you'll get cheaper shipping and the ability to return your device in the event it's faulty.
    I have checked with Expansys and this was their reply 2 days ago: "Sorry - we do not have an update on the QWERTY version but the QWERTZ version will be back in stock soon - end of next week as expected." So if we really want this phone... then a bit more waiting is needed.

I have also emailed Negri Electronics regarding availability and warranty issues. I will post back when I hear from them. Meanwhile, what do you think about their warranty policy on unlocked phones? Negri Electronics - iPhones, Pocket PC's, Smart Phones, Cell Phones, Ultra Mobile PC's, PDA's, GPS Devices, Cameras and More...

"BRANDED UNLOCKED PHONES: Phones branded by ANY GSM carrier lose their warranty as soon as they are unlocked. They can be sent out for warranty by a service provider if you have an account with the service provider to which the phone was locked to. Otherwise there is no warranty associated with these devices. In these cases we recommend you purchase the CPS Warranty available on the products page."

(I have also asked them to provide more information regarding this "CPS warranty") - will keep everyone updated.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr3wster View Post
    Guys, i've been using the German QWERTZ Pre here in Oz for a few days already, and it isn't all that hard to get used to the QWERTZ key layout... I guess you gotta weigh up:

a) How badly you want a Pre
    b) How much of a perfectionist you are
    hey mate

yeah, that's fair enough. like i said in the first post, i've already come to the decision i'd rather a qwerty or none at all. because i know for a FACT that if i get a qwertz, once a qwerty comes out i won't be able to stop myself from buying it. and then who would want my qwertz?

Also i'm a freakin' perfectionist with these things.

I've had a look in the gsm areas like you said, there's no confirmations of virgin mobile yet. maybe i'll have to bite the bullet, buy that unlocked spanish pre, and be the first virgin mobile au user to report
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Also, I keep hearing rumours that there'll be a lot more IMEI-unlocked pres around within the next week. I might wait until the weekend of the 14th, and see what's happened.

It's a curse being an early adopter!
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I will wait to next week.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Is anything happening next week PreRunr? know anything I don't? too late for me now anyway hehe
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I am still waiting for a 1.3.1 GSM unlocked Pre. My guess is that if I order one in mid December there might be more choices. News of the US GSM with possible improved hardware may be out. The expansys.au seems to be hit and miss so far.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I put my order to expansys.com.au so I will be joining you soon. So far the Aussie experience seems to be working with battery life being the worst issue.
    just to let you guys know that virgin mobie works with a turbo sim uk qwerty pre also revtel works(revtel does not have data)
    hello mate,

what about THREE (3) service? i am using German version, everything is fine except google maps saying "your current location is unavailable".
    Quote Originally Posted by jiajiahairui View Post
    hello mate,

what about THREE (3) service? i am using German version, everything is fine except google maps saying "your current location is unavailable".
    i dont know about 3 but i thought it would work(if they allow you to use 3g data) as they now joined/merged with vodafone and vodafone has no problems on a uk pre( now useing tpg/soul on optus network (cant beat $15 for $300 worth of calls and data)

i had your problem when i was on revtel(uses vodafone) i found out that revtel does not allow 3g data. they only allow gprs and 3g calls
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Hey guys, a little update

I got mine from spain, it works perfectly on virgin mobile with voice and data. To activate it, i had to borrow a friend's optus sim. Once that was done, i updated to webos 1.3.1 at home via wifi. Next morning once it was done, i entered manual settings for virgin, and voila, fully functional.

This would work for ANY sim, all you gotta do is get it activated first. I'd recommend borrowing a friend's optus, vodafone or telstra sim (that has internet). It only takes about two minutes to do, just pop it out of the phone, put it in yours, turn it on, activate it, then give their sim back. simple.

From what i can see, with manual settings now, there's NO need for a rebelsim or turbo sim.
Page 1 of 23 12345611 ... LastLast