Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Ahh, if GPS has worked all along, then clearly I am on crack and you can ignore me
    Quote Originally Posted by calroth View Post
    Ahh, if GPS has worked all along, then clearly I am on crack and you can ignore me
    There apparently were limitations. See rwhitby's post...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ml#post2268436
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    not saying yours wasn't working calroth just that mine was.

Hey guys, with that method for getting the free apps... does that mean i have to preware my pre? or is it something entirely different?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Hey guys, with that method for getting the free apps... does that mean i have to preware my pre? or is it something entirely different?
    Its something different, but I found preware useful to search for the applications I want, because the package info file you download lists ALL (not just the free ones) the available packages in a plain text document, listed alphabetically by vendor ID.

So I used preware to search for what I wanted and see what the vendor ID was.
    You also need something to install the packages with. I used WebOSQuickInstall which you also would have used it you've installed any homebrew apps/tweaks.

Btw, anyone with a German Pre, how many apps are you showing post 1.4? I have 140, down from the 255 before the upgrade.
    doh!
    Last edited by fishiazza; 03/02/2010 at 12:40 AM. Reason: doh! - double posted in error
    I still had mine report my lat as 395.xxxx (which obviously doesn't exist) through 'Send My Location For WebOS'. Can anyone else confirm if they get similar co-ordinates?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Okay, so something has been suggested to me that I never thought of before.

I've been waiting for paid apps. But when they do release them, will it only be if you're in the country you bought the phone from, and have a credit card there?

i.e. Will I only be able to buy apps if I move to spain and get a spanish card????????

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.

I've been waiting for paid apps. But when they do release them, will it only be if you're in the country you bought the phone from, and have a credit card there?

i.e. Will I only be able to buy apps if I move to spain and get a spanish card????????
    That is quite likely Bennish. Check out this post
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    oh... gah... damn... i'm trying not to swear because i know it'll only come up in asterisks.

I'm not sure i can convey how incredibly angry this makes me.

Quote Originally Posted by fishiazza View Post
    That is quite likely Bennish. Check out this post
    I might be an optimist, but it seems to me that there is plenty of evidence of Palm's intention to do right by their user base, and very little evidence of random Palm reps knowing what they are talking about, so I won't get upset just yet.
    I tend to agree John. Especially if the vendors can decide, because obviously they want their paid apps to reach as many people as possible.

I just wish they would centralise their app store. All they have to do is include in each apps summary if it has content only applicable to certain countries, such as language or local info.
    It seems to me everyone wins from this. More vendors and users are connected and Palm can boast of the size of its catalogue.
    Yes. We have the annoyance of not being able to get the programs, but the developers are the ones losing money over this schemozzle.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Sorry to be a n00b and a nuisance, but has, or can someone compile a quick guide of the best place to buy the Palm Pre, how it works with each carrier (GPS, 3G etc), do software updates work correctly, does it sync with the app store?

Essentially, I've been drooling over the Palm Pre since it's announcement, and after having owned an iPhone 3G 16GB for a year and a bit, I desperately need a Pre. In essence a Pre Plus.

Basically, I just would like to know as easily as possible the following:

1) Where is the best reliable site to get a Palm Pre Plus?
    2) Does it work with Optus as that is who I'm with?
    3) Can I just put in my Optus sim and expect it to make calls etec, or will I have to use software to unlock it?

Eee, reading back, I come off as quite demanding. I apologise. I guess the flaws of the internet and the difficulty to convey your true intention. Then again, the writer should be good enough to get their point across. My fault. Bit of a rant.

But yes, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I know there's a search button and what not, and I've scanned through this entire thread, but I just keep getting lost, hence the desire for a simplified guide, or answers to my relative questions.

Thanks heaps. So glad there's other Aussies out there who love the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by agalea View Post
    Sorry to be a n00b and a nuisance, but has, or can someone compile a quick guide of the best place to buy the Palm Pre, how it works with each carrier (GPS, 3G etc), do software updates work correctly, does it sync with the app store?

Essentially, I've been drooling over the Palm Pre since it's announcement, and after having owned an iPhone 3G 16GB for a year and a bit, I desperately need a Pre. In essence a Pre Plus.

Basically, I just would like to know as easily as possible the following:

1) Where is the best reliable site to get a Palm Pre Plus?
    2) Does it work with Optus as that is who I'm with?
    3) Can I just put in my Optus sim and expect it to make calls etec, or will I have to use software to unlock it?

Eee, reading back, I come off as quite demanding. I apologise. I guess the flaws of the internet and the difficulty to convey your true intention. Then again, the writer should be good enough to get their point across. My fault. Bit of a rant.

But yes, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I know there's a search button and what not, and I've scanned through this entire thread, but I just keep getting lost, hence the desire for a simplified guide, or answers to my relative questions.

Thanks heaps. So glad there's other Aussies out there who love the Pre.
    Try these threads

http://discussion.treocentral.com/gs...heres-how.html

http://discussion.treocentral.com/gs...re-phones.html

Most of your questions are answered there. I don't want to spoil the fun of your own research, but in brief ....

GSM Pre Plus(?) on a French carrier mid-year (probably AZERTY)
    GSM Pre available from several sources
    Unlocked available from O2 Germany (QWERTZ)
    Movistar Spain Pre (QWERTY) can be unlocked by a couple of private suppliers who are P|C members goma (a number, including mine, delivered to Aus - was 450 Euro + PP) and zkyevolved (I am aware of one deliverd to Sweden recently - 300 Euro +PP)
    Locked UK O2 used with adaptor SIM (eg RebelSim)

I gather Pre works with Optus without problems. See list in the "How many... " thread.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Hmm, thanks a heaps!

Well, that's horrible regarding the other keyboards. I really want QWERTY. Damn Europe!

This is all so confusing, but thanks, I guess I'll keep trying.

I just want to buy a Pre, put in my SIM, and have it work. Why is that such a hard thing to ask of Palm? I don't wanna mess with the phones files to make MMS work and all that jazz. Sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by agalea View Post

I just want to buy a Pre, put in my SIM, and have it work. Why is that such a hard thing to ask of Palm? I don't wanna mess with the phones files to make MMS work and all that jazz. Sigh.
    That is just what I did! If you want QWERTY just buy Spanish (unlocked). If it's Pre Plus you want then you will have to wait a while.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    How long of a wait am I lookin at here? And is the Palm Pre Plus really all that much better?
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I am reading heaps of reviews on the Pre for the millionth time, and I'm kind of more so being drawn to the negative factors. I really like the concept of Synergy in contacts, but apparently it blends everything with Facebook and your contacts become overloaded, which is eugh.

Furthermore, apparently the Pre is of poor quality and feels cheap, while the Plus feels a bit sturdier.

All these points are valid, but god damn, I still want the phone for some reason.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    agalea, disregard any bad things you read. none of them compare to how truly awesome this phone is.

I've had lots of windows mobile and symbian phones, i'll admit i haven't owned (but have used) and iphone or android. but the pre is the BEST phone i've EVER owned, hands down. it's a pleasure to use. i sometimes forget it actually makes calls, it's just so awesome in every other way (although i'm a texter rather than a caller)

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    So, guys/gals, just wondering, how are we Aussies and Kiwis going with 1.4? Any issues?

I was annoyed at some but it seems I've been lucky:

Camera/photo app numbering discrepancy and overwriting of photos
    (this may have been a pre-1.4 issue). Fixed in the meantime by just moving my existing 130 pics to a 'pre' folder and making sure my photo roll stays less than a hundred. pretty simple. I'm also told there's a patch that negates this.

Some general instability - a couple of instances where it's skipped a beat, frozen for just a little second. At one point, lost signal, told me 'no signal' and let me navigate cards but not actually interact. lasted about 20 seconds.

Camera Freeze - this only happened a few times in the space of 5 minutes, and i HAD just taken it off usb, so it may have been searching for signal or restarting luna or something - but camera app opened blank grey card and froze. Hasn't happened since battery pull.

Lock screen issue - 'slide to unlock' button appeared, but over my desktop/cards, WITHOUT the lock screen. Hasn't happened since battery pull.

A common suggestion is to turn off ur pre, take out the battery, and then put it back after a while and restart. As you can see that *seems* to have fixed 2 of my issues. A more extreme suggestion is pulling battery, plugging into usb, and doing things like wipes and doctoring.

I have done an app and data erase, i'm not sure how much effect this has had.

So anyway, like I said, compared to what I'm hearing (volume problem anyone? touch wood) i've gotten away pretty well. The general consensus seems to be that a 1.4.1 is forthcoming which will smooth things out.

On the positive side, by the way:
    Photos app is SUPER FAST! I can zip through 600 pics and they load instantly.
    Video camera is quite good, but i don't use it much.
    Card loading change is nice, and i think speed is generally improved.
    I really like that you can swipe up to unlock without having to drag the yellow button.

Any other hemisphere-lurkers have any thoughts?

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast