Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darrylp View Post
    I had no problem with Optus SIM
    Did you have to have credit on it?
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    It wasn't a prepaid but I can't see that it'll make a difference.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    dewso, I activated with VIRGIN with NO other SIM card, see posts above. Afterwards to set up MMS I had to go to the telephone app, preferences, choose manual network setup and edited the MMS APN page with VirginMMS and http://mms.virginvibe.com.au:8002/ using blank user and password.
    BTW a QWERTZ is no trouble to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    BTW a QWERTZ is no trouble to use.
    Especially if you use the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor to remap the Z and Y keys to their proper places for Australia.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Finally got my Spanish Pre from goma. (Delayed due to Christmas rush.) It's updated to 1.3.1. Very happy to finally be a Pre owner. Now to organise a carrier. Sounds like it's almost any except Telstra?
    Last edited by johncc; 12/29/2009 at 04:01 AM.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    I cannot accept that we here in Australia have bought smart phones for which there are no apps available.

Has anybody found a solution and if so please share?

Thanks
    I cannot accept that we here in Australia have bought smart phones for which there are no apps available.

Thanks
    http://install.preware.org/

300+ apps, 150+ patches ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Finally got my Spanish Pre from goma. (Delayed due to Christmas rush.) It's updated to 1.3.1. Very happy to finally be a Pre owner. Now to organise a carrier. Sounds like it's almost any except Telstra?
    Looks like I will go with 3. I put my wife's 3 SIM into the Pre and rang 3 to get the internet and MMS APN's, so that I could try and enter them and get 3G. The rep. did not provide me with them, but SMS'd me a couple of URLs. When I visited them with the Pre I noticed that I had 3G. Easy as! Now I only have to sign up for a SIM-only plan ($29/mth for $150 worth) and an internet pack (2GB for $20/mth) and I will be in business. It seems to me that 3 is one of the cheaper Australian carriers for data.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    http://install.preware.org/

300+ apps, 150+ patches ...

-- Rod
    Thank you very much.

I was about to give up on the Pre but I'll go through this carefully.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Some great apps here, thank again.

Are these all (or most of them) able to be installed on a GSM Pre?
    Yes.

I founded Preware, and I use a GSM Pre in Australia.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Brilliant and thanks again but having read some of your posts, you're patently a real expert and highly knowledgeable.

I'm unfortunately pretty technologically ignorant and will no doubt battle.

Additionally, as I'm going overseas early next week and will be away for most of Jan, I'll only be able to start on trying to learn this technology upon my return (taking my old phone in the interim ).

Darryl

Thanks
    Is there no access to the app store in Australia? Can anyone provide details on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz View Post
    Is there no access to the app store in Australia? Can anyone provide details on this?
    A GSM Pre used in Australia will see the European App Catalog.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    as long as the phone's unlocked, ANY sim will work. since 1.3.1 you're able to manually enter data settings
    EU GSM Pre does not do 3G on 850MHz. Period.

I'm typing this on one in Australia.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    as long as the phone's unlocked, ANY sim will work. since 1.3.1 you're able to manually enter data settings
    Except Telstra, which uses 850MHz

To complete the story of my unlocked Spanish QWERTY Pre from goma. I signed up for a SIM-only package with 3, ported my number over, and when it came across, I had phone, SMS, MMS and 3G data (No fiddling with APNs). I'm happy. Now to get into Preware, Homebrew and all of the user related posts that I have chosen to ignore to date.
    A GSM Pre used in Australia will see the European App Catalog.
    -- Rod
    Would it make a difference if it was activated using a USA sim? Say from Verizon?

I guess what I'm asking, is does anyone know how Palm are making the App store location based?
    Last edited by dbmgreen; 01/01/2010 at 06:41 AM. Reason: extra thought :-)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

rwhitby,

Hi Rod,

Don't know if you've caught up with what the Canadians are doing (what with DOOM and all that). They are "rolling their own" 1.3.5 update using the webos.jar from the Sprint WebOSDoctor.jar. Seems to be working.

http://forums.precentral.net/2119260-post46.html

I guess it's too much to hope that the CDMA stuff is outside of WebOS itself and that procedure would be applicable to our GSM phones?

Thanks

John.

EDIT: Apparently it does works, as there are now reports of some Europeans doing this change successfully. (Also some reports of a few small probelms.)
    Last edited by johncc; 01/01/2010 at 06:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Hi guys

I now have my first Palm Pre up on ebay if any Aussies are interested. It's the one I got from Goma with a dead pixel. Starting at $500 bucks. Perfect condition except pixel. Only used it for about 2 weeks.

Am I allowed to pop a link to the ebay page here? I don't want to go against any forum rules. In any case the item number is 320470061666
    Rod,

If I were looking at getting one of the Spanish Pre would it make a difference to the app catalogue if it was activated using a USA sim? Say from Verizon? Do you know if this would even be possible?

The whole location based thing, not just from Palm really bugs me!

Also, do you know if the GPS works in AUS on the GSM pre?

David
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast