Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223 LastLast
    yeah, you can. Simply using an American profile or wiping the device and choosing 'USA' as your country and app catalog can get you the American catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    yeah, you can. Simply using an American profile or wiping the device and choosing 'USA' as your country and app catalog can get you the American catalog.
    Unless something has changed recently you cannot do that. You are stuck with the App Catalog of first activation.
    perhaps...
    For TouchPad, if you Full Erase and create a new profile, I think you can re-choose your App Catalog country. (It's tied to your profile, not your device.) I think. Can anyone confirm?
    Last time I tried (which was admittedly before the public release of the TouchPad), it was tied to the device, not the profile. Perhaps it has changed. Would be good to see evidence of such, rather than just hearsay.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Hi Rod,just a quick question here,If I purchase a pre 3 from UK,and activate it in Australia.Am I able to receive any official firmware update in the future?Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by sylau90 View Post
    Hi Rod,just a quick question here,If I purchase a pre 3 from UK,and activate it in Australia.Am I able to receive any official firmware update in the future?Thanks in advance.
    Up until 1.4.5 my Spanish Pre- had received OTA updates as you would expect. ( I have a German Pre- now with a Pre 3 in transit) Nobody can really predict what may change in relation to the Pre 3. You would think that with our new-found improved status that we will still be okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by sylau90 View Post
    I'm counting on being able to do so with mine.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Up until 1.4.5 my Spanish Pre- had received OTA updates as you would expect. ( I have a German Pre- now with a Pre 3 in transit) Nobody can really predict what may change in relation to the Pre 3. You would think that with our new-found improved status that we will still be okay.
    Nice John. Please let us know how the Pre2 goes. Auto focus camera would be nice but I actually really like the size of the Pre (keyboard included), it fits in the hand very well.

Looking for some info. If I delete a paid app then decide I want it back,do I pay for it again? I suspect I'll need to re-install Ndrive as they replied to say they have not turned off their authentication servers (but could not offer a solution apart from asking HP for a refund..). Has anyone done this before?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Its bigger and thinner, and I have 3G signal on 2100MHz Telstra. I activated for AUS and I see 7 Pre 3 apps! So far it does not accept my MasterCard details so I cant buy PHD. The RH top switch to get the screen back on is tricky to use, probably need more practice.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=Carl Spakler;3102453]Nice John. Please let us know how the Pre2 goes. Auto focus camera would be nice but I actually really like the size of the Pre (keyboard included), it fits in the hand very well.

The little whirring sound when you move the camera closer to something must be the focusing system in action as the image gets better.
    Quote Originally Posted by calroth View Post
    For TouchPad, if you Full Erase and create a new profile, I think you can re-choose your App Catalog country. (It's tied to your profile, not your device.) I think. Can anyone confirm?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Last time I tried (which was admittedly before the public release of the TouchPad), it was tied to the device, not the profile. Perhaps it has changed. Would be good to see evidence of such, rather than just hearsay.

-- Rod
    When I first set up my TouchPad I logged in with my UK account that I already had on my Pre. I was hoping I could keep the same webOS and just change billing country for the App Catalogue. It only showed the same European countries as on my Pre

So I did a Full Erase and created a new webOS profile for Australia which gives me Australia and New Zealand as available billing countries in the App Catalogue
    FYI, MobiCity and Smooth Mobiles are still both telling me that 16GB Pre 3 will be available next week for AUD$700.

Not sure I believe them (but I'm comfortable that they are not scamming me - they are probably just going on information from their upstream supplier), but I have some orders in just in case

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Thanks for the tip, Rod. I've put my orders in, hopefully it actually happens. I've been looking at eBay every day, but everything is $600-700 which I can't justify for the 8GB model with no warranty. I'd pay that for a 16GB one with warranty though
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    FYI, MobiCity and Smooth Mobiles are still both telling me that 16GB Pre 3 will be available next week for AUD$700.

Not sure I believe them (but I'm comfortable that they are not scamming me - they are probably just going on information from their upstream supplier), but I have some orders in just in case

-- Rod
    Hi All, finally bought a touchpad from ebay. I was holding out hoping some touchpad go's would end up on there but doesn't look like that's going to be the case. From reading webosnation it sounds like many of the prototypes were destroyed.

Anyway, are people activating their touchpads with old profiles linked to the US app cat or are you creating new profiles to access the Aust app cat? I assume there aren't many (if any) Australia specific apps?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Spakler View Post
    Hi All, finally bought a touchpad from ebay. I was holding out hoping some touchpad go's would end up on there but doesn't look like that's going to be the case. From reading webosnation it sounds like many of the prototypes were destroyed.

Anyway, are people activating their touchpads with old profiles linked to the US app cat or are you creating new profiles to access the Aust app cat? I assume there aren't many (if any) Australia specific apps?

Thanks
    There are quite a few apps in Australia's catalog now. More than enough to get by, you might just find a few that you'd be missing out on. (Mainly games I believe?)

I believe the benefit to being on the same profile as your webOS phone, is to be able to share sms/calls/accounts and data. If you have a seperate profile, the two devices will act standalone.
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)

Thanks
    I personally use the US app cat, with a US debit card. The debit/credit card you have available usually drives which app cat you can use.

I'm not aware of any AU apps which are not in the US app catalog. I am aware of literally *thousands* of US apps which are not in the AU app catalog.

-- Rod
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I'll stick with my US app cat profile. Looking forward to editing office docs with webos...
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I'll stick with my US app cat profile. Looking forward to editing office docs with webos...
    FYI Carl, I use the AU App Cat and have been able to purchase Picsel Office for editing on my Pre3 just fine. Works well.

Cheers.
    If anyone is using the AU App Cat and wants to purchase US apps, check out App Tuckerbox.