Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fishiazza View Post
    I have a similar question about Pre and Touchpad...

I have a German Pre using the German App Catalogue (from here in Australia).
    I plan to purchase an Australian Touchpad.

What is the best thing to do with my Palm Profile?
    If I create a second profile as suggested, how do I get my data from one profile to another?
    Will I ever be able to get the two devices syncing data through a single profile?
    This is in no way an official answer, but in situations like this where you've used an app catalog from another country, I think you are out of luck if you want to use apps (as in I don't believe they will merge accounts).

You *may* be able to use Internalz Pro from Preware to backup the applications from /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ then use the IPK Packager by Jason. I haven't tried this but it *might* let you install under a new profile via Preware. It may also be questionable if this is allowed, but if you own the app and don't warez it off you might be OK. I take no responsibility if you do this.

Let me re-iterate, in no way an official answer. Also if you are just looking for HP Synergy to work and don't care about apps (or don't mind buying them again) the App Catalog will be launching with paid apps at or near launch in Australia, so Rod's answer may be best.

Regards,
    Shane.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You can have one phone and one touchpad on the same profile.

-- Rod
    And the data stored in my Palm Profile (calendar, contacts, etc) will be synced between the 2 devices even though they are registered in different countries??
    Should we start an Aussie Touchpad thread?
    And the data stored in my Palm Profile (calendar, contacts, etc) will be synced between the 2 devices even though they are registered in different countries??
    I have no empirical evidence with which to answer that question.

I don't trust HP/Palm's ability to manage global app catalogs, so I register everything as if I was in the US.

Rationale?

1) There will never be an app which is available in Australia but not available in the US.

2) There will be many apps which are available in the US but not available in Australia.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
    Should we start an Aussie Touchpad thread?
    Perhaps. Or do we just call this the "Aussie WebOS" thread which is what it seems to have become?
    You can have one phone and one touchpad on the same profile.

-- Rod
    Over this past weekend, my release day Sprint Palm Pre(-) took a nasty fall to a concrete floor. Ouch. Now the display does not work. I got copies of everything off if the USB drive by using the Opt-Sym-U keys combination.

I found a replacement Sprint Pre(-) on eBay, and it's being shipped as I type this. My HP webOS Account profile still has the old, broken one listed, and I also have my Touchpad in there as well. Is there a documented procedure somewhere which details the steps needed to get the replacement Pre going in my same profile without losing anything? If so, where/link?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrDrgn View Post
    Over this past weekend, my release day Sprint Palm Pre(-) took a nasty fall to a concrete floor. Ouch. Now the display does not work. I got copies of everything off if the USB drive by using the Opt-Sym-U keys combination.

I found a replacement Sprint Pre(-) on eBay, and it's being shipped as I type this. My HP webOS Account profile still has the old, broken one listed, and I also have my Touchpad in there as well. Is there a documented procedure somewhere which details the steps needed to get the replacement Pre going in my same profile without losing anything? If so, where/link?

Thanks in advance!
    Just log into the new device with that profile.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Just log into the new device with that profile.

-- Rod
    Awesome! Thanks again!
    So, has anyone walked into a Harvey Norman and checked out the TouchPad yet? I'm dying to but have caught some virus that's keeping me at home
    Better, I bought one!

Had it since Friday, and I can answer some questions about the Australian app catalogue too:

1. You'll be happy to hear that phone apps are also there (along with the touchpad specific apps). Obviously they don't look real great, running in a pre emulator window, but if there is something you absolutely must have that is not yet built for the Touchpad, you can find it.

2. No paid apps yet.

3. During the initial setup, I used my existing Palm Profile (which has an O2 Palm Pre from Germany on it). Everything looked good until I went to the App Catalogue and saw all the Euro signs. It had linked me to the European App Catalogue without giving me a choice.
    I started again and made a new Palm Profile. This time I got to choose my country, and that s how I wound up with the Aussie App Catalogue.
    I guess I'll add y Pre to that one at some stage, but no hurry while there aren't any pad apps available.

Overall I LOVE IT!!
    Can't understand the bad reviews at all. The OS is just so far ahead of the competition!
    I particularly like the speed of the browser, the configurable synergy / "just type" and the tight integration with Skype. The pre-installed apps and the available free apps are more than enough for my humble needs.

My only complaint is the lack of functionality of the Adobe Reader app, and to a lessor extent, the inability to edit office files.

By the way, I was going to start an Aussie Touchpad thread (as suggested earlier) to post these comments, but since it was asked here, I've answered here. Anyone else feel like starting a new "Aussie" thread?
    What's this, a Palm Pre featured on HP/Palm's Australian website?
    Go into their products though and it is not listed???

Palm Australia
    What's this, a Palm Pre featured on HP/Palm's Australian website?
    Go into their products though and it is not listed???

Palm Australia
    It's been that way for two years ...

-- Rod
    Hi All, quite disappointed with all the bad news last week. I read a few comments from people saying something like "but your phone does the same thing today as it did yesterday". Unfortunately not. Seems Ndrive authentication servers have been taken off line. There's no options in the App to turn off all external internet connections so while it starts and runs fine when the phone is in flight mode as soon as I turn on the cell phone radio it auto quits. I've written to Ndrive asking for a fix but suspect none will come. This is not so flash as I've just driven across half the country with my Pre2 guiding the way and will drive back in a few weeks (prefer to have phone coverage than nav).

I tried to head into a HN store on Saturday morning to check out a touchpad but they'd already pulled all of the stock . Might pick up a cheap model from ebay when the recent discounts hit there as well. I was also really looking forward to the Pre3 and music enabled touchstone (seriously, they've been hinting at that since before the original Pre was released.

Many thanks to Rod, the rest of the Preware team and everyone on this forum who have been helpful with tips and advice. I remember a post on these forums from Rod having written some code to improve the original Pre only shortly after release in the US. Rod, many people on these forums have had their experience significantly improved by you and your team. I suggest that Palm and HP owe you a lot as without your enhancements they probably wouldn't have made it this far.

I'm going to hang onto my Pre2 for as long as practical because I still think you can't beat the inbuilt inductive charging and notifications that simply shrink the usable screen area.

Speaking of which, I wonder why they went away from that concept with the touchpad? Also, why did they have such crazy app catalogue and activation restrictions, and why didn't they release any webos phones in Australia (everyone asks about my phone and wants to immediately go out and buy one but I could never recommend it with the App catalogue and activation issues)...?

Thanks again all.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Why not use NAVIT it works even better now with the new Navit maps app to download maps? I just type in the Australian street address into Just Type and it starts up NAVIT and gets the route even from Adelaide to Sydney.
    I was in HN on Thursday looking at the wi-fi modem offer with the Touchpad and had no chance on Friday as it was gone! My 32 GB Touchpad is working its way via US Post as the US stores would not sent it direct to Australia under instructions from HP.
    The Pre 3 in EU is 900/1900/2100 MHz so not so good with Telstra which I use for my US purchased Pre2. My DE-O2 Pre- on Virgin went to a deserving person whose Pre- had busted. A new AT&T Pre 3 may be good but AT&T has refused to accept them so surely they will go on sale unlocked somewhere.
    Yes, might be time for me to check out Navit. I wonder how many (if any) AT&T Pre 3s were made?
    Well now I am happy....just got back from Harvey Norman. I 'returned' my $598 32GB TouchPad and re-purchased it again for $149 and got to keep the mifi as well. Awesome!
    I tried to buy another TouchPad as well, but they had sold out. The Harvey Norman staff were buying them themselves. lol
    I'm sure you all have seen by now but HN had the same touchpad deal today as they had in the USA. Apparently they all sold out in less than an hour. I only know (personally) one other Pre owner in Aust and neither of us knew about the sale till just now.
    according a source, the sale began at two o'clock, i called five minutes after, and after ten minutes of trying to connect, they said that it had sold out. Luckily they said that they will give me 450 dollars back, and get me a case for half price as they didnt have any at launch. Unfortunately, paid apps are still no where in sight.
    Yes, it's not fair that the webOS fans missed out on this super deal. I didn't know about it either and the only way that I managed to take advantage of it was since I had previously purchased one at full price.

I'm not sure what to do about the paid apps...whether to wait for the AU app catalog to get them or whether to set the TouchPad up with the USA app catalog.
    Except there's no way they could have notified current users about the sale as it's not like you have to enter contact details when you create a profile... But to be honest despite going to great lengths to get a Pre plus then Pre2 both with US app cat I think HP have really treated employees much more poorly. I'm really feeling for John R. Can't comment on paid vs free Aust touchpad apps but there are some good paid apps for the Pre. Can you even change the geo location of the touchpad after first registration?