Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    the virgin settings i used:

Internet APN:
    VirginInternet

Username:

Password:

it didn't work until i did a restart.
    i don't know, but i definitely see 3G on the right top corner near battery icon. this means i can use 3G right?

ok, i tested it. i turned off 3g in preferences of dial (3g disappeared)and i then turned it on, it showed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Hey guys, a little update

I got mine from spain, it works perfectly on virgin mobile with voice and data. To activate it, i had to borrow a friend's optus sim. Once that was done, i updated to webos 1.3.1 at home via wifi. Next morning once it was done, i entered manual settings for virgin, and voila, fully functional.

This would work for ANY sim, all you gotta do is get it activated first. I'd recommend borrowing a friend's optus, vodafone or telstra sim (that has internet). It only takes about two minutes to do, just pop it out of the phone, put it in yours, turn it on, activate it, then give their sim back. simple.

From what i can see, with manual settings now, there's NO need for a rebelsim or turbo sim.
    Thanks for that. Sounds like 'smooth sailing'. I have ordered a Spanish GSM unlocked Pre from goma. Will give an update when I get it. (It's to be a christmas present from my wife, so I probably won't be allowed to play with it much until the 25th though. )
    Johncc,

I am from Melbourne and have also ordered my Palm Pre from Goma, just waiting for it to arrive! Should be here this week. I have also ordered the touchstone and a few other items from pre central. I am with vodafone network so I think things should run fairly smoothly. Please give me feedback when you receive yours, its good to hear how other aussie's will be enjoying their pre
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyinfa View Post
    Johncc,

I am from Melbourne and have also ordered my Palm Pre from Goma, just waiting for it to arrive! Should be here this week. I have also ordered the touchstone and a few other items from pre central. I am with vodafone network so I think things should run fairly smoothly. Please give me feedback when you receive yours, its good to hear how other aussie's will be enjoying their pre
    Unfortunately, Monday and Tuesday are holidays in Spain, so I probably won't get mine before the end of next week. I don't currently have a 3G sim so I have a decision to make. I was thinking Hutchison 3, but nobody has reported anything about them yet. Keep us posted on your progress as well.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    the virgin settings i used:

Internet APN:
    VirginInternet

Username:

Password:

it didn't work until i did a restart.
    Great help now I am Up and running with Virgin on a qwertz (not qwerty). Your clue about restart was vital and then I had to do the profile again to make it go. I was getting worried. I only had a virgin sim so I did the web0s doctor 1.3.1 german install. Very helpful to use the WebOs internals "howto" as well to get it past "next".
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    i recently did a bit of an exchange, as my first one had a dead pixel. the seller helped me out as much as he could and sold me another one at a greatly reduced price, so i can sell the existing one.

anyway, the new one already had 1.3.1. and during activation, it now ALLOWs you to change the apn settings! sweet eh? So noone should ever have problems again (except possibly qwertzies, i hear).

By the way... anyone interested in a perfect pre with ONE dead pixel, $550 australian? I might end up ebaying it.

the low price is due to the fact the guy sold me a replacement at cost, i believe. he couldn't exchange.
    By the way... anyone interested in a perfect pre with ONE dead pixel, $550 australian? I might end up ebaying it.
    I've contacted you via PM with my email address to discuss.

-- Rod (in Australia)
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Is anyone using their Pre on Telstra? Heaps of news re Optus/Vodafone/3 ... but nothing for Telstra! If you have any news about how the Pre is working here I would love to hear it - even if on another network!
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I think a saw that an Aussie telstra user report that he sold it after he couldnt get it to work well as the EU GSM phones are working with 900/2100 MHz while telstra is 850/2100 MHz. That's why you see success with the other networks.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    I think a saw that an Aussie telstra user report that he sold it after he couldnt get it to work well as the EU GSM phones are working with 900/2100 MHz while telstra is 850/2100 MHz. That's why you see success with the other networks.

Thanks so much. Thats what I thought I had read somewhere too ... the EU GSM phones say they cover 850/2100 but I'm not confident. I've only just gone back to Telstra too, and cant change back. I think I will have to wait for an unlocked NA GSM phone. I hate waiting though!!!
    EU GSM Pre does not do 3G on 850MHz. Period.

I'm typing this on one in Australia.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Do I need special setting for MMS for Optus and if so does anybody please know what they are and how do I install them?

Thanks very much
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Tested by sending myself a MMS and it's working!

Apologies for the previous post.
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyinfa View Post
    .......have also ordered my Palm Pre from Goma, just waiting for it to arrive! Should be here this week.
    ........I am with vodafone network so I think things should run fairly smoothly.
    Hey Patty,

Did it arrive?
    How long did it take?
    Does it work seamlessly on Voda?
    Most importantly are you happy with it?

I have an iPhone on Voda, and just making a phone call drives me crazy! Everything else about it is good.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Hey everyone, just wondering if a UK pre (O2) will work on telstra gsm/edge (i dont need 3G)
    It does, but why don't you wait a few weeks and get a Mexican one? Just in case you ever need 3G :-)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

hehe well to be honest, ive never used 3G in my life (im on telstra with 1 cent text so i barely ever have more than 5 dollars credit) and if i ever need the internet wifi is never far away.

Plus the qwertz is a dealbreaker for me. Thankyou for your fast reply (:

[EDIT] Sorry if this is off topic, but is a rebelsim the best way to go for using it unlocked? i got it for a bargain ($500 still in box) and because of this it is locked.
    Last edited by dewso; 12/22/2009 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Had a question not needing a seperate post.
    For palm profile activation, would it work if we got a pre paid sim off the internet from the country of origin? or is there a australian network SIM that works aswell.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dewso View Post
    For palm profile activation, would it work if we got a pre paid sim off the internet from the country of origin? or is there a australian network SIM that works aswell.
    I had no problem with Optus SIM
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast