Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    You bought a a Pre2 from the USA, which should be 850 and 1900 MHz but now you say its a EU 900 and 2100MHz. Yes OPTUS or Virgin will work for that. Did you get misled in your purchase? You didn't buy from HP then and that was my guess you were? I am about to try that and collect while in the USA in April, while there activating for US apps.
    It was a developer $200 discount phone, so HP in the US sent her an EU phone cause it works better and on more networks in Australia. She won't be getting paid apps as she didn't activate it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Yes, my phone is a developer phone, from HP/Palm. I was never misled, I had only assumed that I was getting the USA version since it was coming from the US, but they actually sent me an EU one. I activated it in Australia, so I have free & homebrew apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by jodihansen View Post
    Yes, my phone is a developer phone, from HP/Palm. I was never misled, I had only assumed that I was getting the USA version since it was coming from the US, but they actually sent me an EU one.
    That's probably cause I keep telling them that I need an EU one, cause I'm not on Telstra Next-G.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Jodi, thanks for the update, I have been writing software for years but not as a "webos developer" despite registering last year, so I don't get the discount. Hope you can add to the Australian reputation of doing lots with little :-).
    I'm loving the Pre 2 & webOS.
    I actually didn't mind which version of the phone that I got, but I do hear that the EU one works better here. I can swap my SIM cards around any which way. I currently have an Optus SIM in my iPhone 4 (w/ 2GB data) & a Telstra SIM (w/150MB data) in my Pre 2. The only difficulty I have in swapping them is that the Optus one is a micro SIM. I have set my iPhone to be a wifi hotspot and my Pre 2 is using the data from that at the moment.
    So, I have the Telstra SIM in the Pre 2 and I see a 3G symbol at the top, does that mean that I am actually getting 3G on Telstra with this EU phone?

Jodi
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Yes, they have TWO 3G networks, the old 2100MHz and the new 850 MHz Nextgen.
    I am actually a new webOS programmer....in my "spare time". I am an Oracle programmer for my day job. Thanks for the encouragement. I have a couple of app ideas....but still at the point where I am learning before I implement them.
    I sent you a pm.
    Well this is interesting. Both my Pres have started reporting what looks like exchange name data for incoming calls from numbers not in my address book (such as "Sydney South/Southeast" "Sutherland Shire" and "Liverpool").

I'm guessing this is new data being supplied by Telstra?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendikins View Post
    Well this is interesting. Both my Pres have started reporting what looks like exchange name data for incoming calls from numbers not in my address book (such as "Sydney South/Southeast" "Sutherland Shire" and "Liverpool").

I'm guessing this is new data being supplied by Telstra?
    I don't get any calls from random numbers, its only my contacts that ever call me, but once my mum rang from her work (a number not in my C-list) and it said where the call was from too (location). I thought it was just a mistake and thought nothing of it, but if you've had it too, then it must be intentional. I'm not even on Telstra, I'm on 3/Vodafone/Crazy John's.

Anyone else found this? Now I want to start getting random people to ring me to check this!! :P

Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    I got a call from a non-contact number and it was identified as Gold Coast. STD prefix 07. That's new.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I got a call from a non-contact number and it was identified as Gold Coast. STD prefix 07. That's new.
    I'm on a pre 2 get this all the time, is very specific as to locations occasionally. I'm on Vodafone.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    I'm on a pre 2 get this all the time, is very specific as to locations occasionally. I'm on Vodafone.
    Is it a new Vodaphone/3 thing maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Is it a new Vodaphone/3 thing maybe?
    The first guy that mentioned this said he was on telstra. The question lies with whether or not it happens in other countries too...

Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    The first guy that mentioned this said he was on telstra. The question lies with whether or not it happens in other countries too...

Yep i think its from landlines (telstra)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    The PSTN is Telstra, so it would be data supplied with the caller ID from Telstra irrespective of mobile carrier if it isn't something on the handset itself.

I find it a bit of a nuisance sometimes, because with railway numbers I get the Argus/PSTN interconnect location, which can bear little resemblance to the actual source of the call.
    I am in New Zealand and I get very accurate caller location even on numbers not in my contacts. I am on Vodafone and I get limited coverage on telecom xt. apparently it only works in the cities.
    I had my old Pre- with Optus SIM roaming on AT&T in US last week, and got location info on unknown numbers while over there.
    I first noticed it when I upgraded to 2.1.0 while here, so it happens in Oz too.
    I bought a Pre2 in the US, and it gave location info when using a local AT&T SIM while in the US.
    It does the same now back in Oz and back on Optus SIM.
    So my guess is that it's 2.1.0 specific, and independent of carrier and SIM.
    I find it useful.
    Palm IIIe -> SL-10 -> NX80 -> UX-50 -> TH-55 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre (Movistar) -> Pre 2 (GSM-US) -> Pre 3 (EU-GSM) -> Pre 3 (AT&T) + TP 32Gb
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Is this an unlocked US Pre2 you bought last week? This means that your Optus SIM inside it is not full 3G then. Does it do data OK? I am going this week to get a US Pre2 and I am assuming I will have to get a Telstra SIM to use it usefully rather than my Virgin SIM I use in my Pre-.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    Is this an unlocked US Pre2 you bought last week? This means that your Optus SIM inside it is not full 3G then. Does it do data OK? I am going this week to get a US Pre2 and I am assuming I will have to get a Telstra SIM to use it usefully rather than my Virgin SIM I use in my Pre-.
    That's correct. I activated it in the US using an AT&T SIM (GoPhone), and it was 3G there.
    Now back in Oz, it is only 2G on Optus, but that is OK for email, and I use WiFi most of the time anyway.
    Even in the States, I had 200 Mb of data as part of the GoPhone SIM package, and I had it on data all the time (although poor reception in rural Virginia !), and I only used 17 Mb of data in 5 days !
    I have not noticed any real difference for the apps I use with 2G, although I don't play videos or use the mapping tools, and I guess that's where the slow data on 2G would show most.
    I did hear that HP are shipping EU-GSM phones (more costly) but if you have the chance, I would recommend getting one of those. These would only have 2G in the States.
    Palm IIIe -> SL-10 -> NX80 -> UX-50 -> TH-55 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre (Movistar) -> Pre 2 (GSM-US) -> Pre 3 (EU-GSM) -> Pre 3 (AT&T) + TP 32Gb
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info. I will also be in rural VA. I will try a GoPhone SIM when I get there.