Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 445
  1. PreRunr's Avatar
    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    #321  
    Quote Originally Posted by areal View Post
    Yep. O2 Pre minus on Vodafone here. The general performance is fine but there are some bugs, and fewer patches of course. Most annoying at the moment is that incoming calls aren't matched to numbers in the my contacts. Not sure if it's a widespread issue.
    I am using the ./scripts/meta-wr-pre-2.1.0 script for my O2 pre-
    but cant get past the profile login or create new one stage. I have gone back to 1.4.5 three times now. I have removed the backup option. But my profile login works for the 1.4.5 version. Did you use the script?
  2. PreRunr's Avatar
    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    #322  
    areal's post #359 failed as the VirginInternet APN was rejected!
    So I made a new build with
    make DEVICE=preplus CARRIER=wr clobber all
    changes in makefile are
    BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE = 1
    ENABLE_TESTING_FEEDS = 1
    DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1
    At least I got to use wifi and the phone but the 3G data part is still not working.

    Forced Virgin settings (I didnt see the option at the bottom of the screen!) and did a reboot and it works for 3G now. :-)
    Last edited by PreRunr; 02/25/2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Update
  3. PreRunr's Avatar
    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    #323  
    So far the 2.1.0 experience is great and seems faster, redid upgrade via webosinternals script (it missed out on preware loading for some reason) just to be sure and have my Palm profile backing up as well. Using Save/Restore to get everything back so far so good. TRY IT! Don't forget Step6.
  4. #324  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    So far the 2.1.0 experience is great and seems faster, redid upgrade via webosinternals script (it missed out on preware loading for some reason) just to be sure and have my Palm profile backing up as well. Using Save/Restore to get everything back so far so good. TRY IT! Don't forget Step6.
    Using the latest available method, how hard is it to do this update, what stored data will I lose, how long will it take, and will it make a unoverclocked AT&T Pre Plus run faster than on webos 1.4.5?

    Sorry for all these questions, but I would be doing it to my 13 year old sister's phone and we are in Australia so I don't want to screw anything up, you know?

    Thanks

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  5. #325  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    Using the latest available method, how hard is it to do this update, what stored data will I lose, how long will it take, and will it make a unoverclocked AT&T Pre Plus run faster than on webos 1.4.5?

    Sorry for all these questions, but I would be doing it to my 13 year old sister's phone and we are in Australia so I don't want to screw anything up, you know?
    At this point, if you're asking those questions then you should wait.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  6. #326  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    At this point, if you're asking those questions then you should wait.

    -- Rod
    lol. Fair enough then. Its just not my phone so I don't want to screw up at all :P

    Any word (roughly) when a better, safer method will come up?
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  7. #327  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    lol. Fair enough then. Its just not my phone so I don't want to screw up at all :P

    Any word (roughly) when a better, safer method will come up?
    I suspect this will be the final method as far as the base webOS OS install goes, but there will be some fine tuning regarding wifi-only devices and carrier apps.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  8. PreRunr's Avatar
    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    #328  
    So far my experience of 2.1.0 is that its worth doing! Even NAVIT works! Clearly the pre- can handle it despite what we were led to believe. And OC is yet to come.

    However, Rod is right.
  9. #329  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    So far my experience of 2.1.0 is that its worth doing! Even NAVIT works! Clearly the pre- can handle it despite what we were led to believe. And OC is yet to come.

    However, Rod is right.
    Thats good to hear. And yes, I know Rod is right, he is always right :P I better hold off as I don't want to do anything risky with a phone that isn't even mine. If the phone has to be unlocked again for use in Australia my sister will never forgive me.

    Although, I'm a little annoyed that Pre Plus and minus owners now have a newer version of webOS than the latest phone! grrr
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  10. sm07's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #330  
    Working great for me. Little bugs here and there, not a dealbreaker though. Overclock is a MUST. The phone's just incredibly sluggish without it. Use the kernel testing feeds - they seem perfectly stable in my case.

    Then again, I have a Pre minus. Those with Pluses may have a different experience.
    Last edited by sm07; 03/08/2011 at 12:49 AM.
  11. PreRunr's Avatar
    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    #331  
    For some reason I cant get uberkernal loaded onto my Pre- 2.1.0 but I have not found it too sluggish though.
  12. #332  
    A quick reply. This Aussie QWERTY Pre-minus owner is going to stick with 1.4.5 (as I need to develop and test for this platform), but I'm living vicariously through you guys. Keep the 2.1.0 upgrades going
    Last edited by calroth; 03/04/2011 at 05:30 AM.
  13. #333  
    Hi fellow Aussies, I'm new to webOS, but a long-time (since Jan 2000) Palm OS user, even if my current phone is an iPhone 4 (don't hold it against me). I have begun application development for webOS, but have only used it in the emulator so far. My first webOS device, an unlocked Pre 2, should arrive this week. It is coming from the US and hasn't been activated.
    I think that I will insert a Telstra SIM and activate it as an Australian Pre. So, this will mean that I have access to the Free App Catalog and Homebrew apps only. I will still have my iPhone 4 for any apps that I want that I cannot get on the Pre 2, but not having access to the paid apps might even be the only thing preventing me from making the Pre 2 my main device. I really hope that HP/Palm do make the paid app catalog available here soon.

    I wonder if anyone could advise me on this though....if I set up the Pre 2 as a developer device, by passing activation, but then setting up a profile on WiFi. Does this then mean that I cannot use the Pre 2 with a SIM card on Telstra? Would I then only be able to access Homebrew apps and not even Free Catalog Apps? Could I later doctor the Pre 2 with an official webOS doctor and then activate it on Telstra or take it to the US and activate it, or does bypassing the activation even one time mean that it is bypassed forever?

    If I activate the Pre 2 as an Australian Pre 2 on Telstra (and it is an unlocked USA phone) then does it matter if I select English (USA) or English (UK) when I activate it in terms of what apps I will see?

    If I can see the Free App Catalog (Australian), then will I have access to the Facebook and Twitter apps?

    Sorry for all of the questions, but thank you kindly for your help.

    Jodi
  14. #334  
    I can answer some, but not all of your questions.

    I have a UK O2 Pre that is unlocked. I activated the phone via Telstra. I have recently upgraded to WebOS 2.1

    I have access to the free catalogue, and I have access to Facebook. I don't use Twitter, but there seems to be loads of free apps.

    The language makes no difference to availability of apps. It is where you are located that is important. When I look n my profile, it says my phone is in Australia and it shows Telstra.

    Setting up a profile via WiFi and then putting in a SIM will work. Indeed, when I first got my hone, that was how I had to do it.

    I'd say activate it in Australia and get access to the free apps. You'll need a US telephone number to access the paid apps.


    Siobhan
  15. #335  
    Quote Originally Posted by siobhanellis View Post
    I can answer some, but not all of your questions.

    I have a UK O2 Pre that is unlocked. I activated the phone via Telstra. I have recently upgraded to WebOS 2.1

    I have access to the free catalogue, and I have access to Facebook. I don't use Twitter, but there seems to be loads of free apps.

    The language makes no difference to availability of apps. It is where you are located that is important. When I look n my profile, it says my phone is in Australia and it shows Telstra.

    Setting up a profile via WiFi and then putting in a SIM will work. Indeed, when I first got my hone, that was how I had to do it.

    I'd say activate it in Australia and get access to the free apps. You'll need a US telephone number to access the paid apps.


    Siobhan
    I believe you need much more than just a US Telephone number to access their paid apps. When trying to buy a Pre 2 from the US HP website, they wouldn't let me check out online with an Australian credit card, and even my paypal account was declined because it was tied to Australian information. You'll need a US Address for paid apps as well as a US Credit card...

    Facebook app is free, and you can get that very easily. Twitter I also don't use, but I know there are heaps of paid twitter apps on the app catalog. I just checked and there are also free ones, but "you get what you pay for" I'm sure the paid ones will be much better than the free ones. You'll probably miss a lot of key twitter features in the free apps.

    There are "other ways" of getting paid apps online if you are desperate. The reason most people do not agree with these methods is because if you don't purchase the app from the app store, you are not supporting the developer for their work on the app. The only way to combat this is if you make private donations to the developer if you do "download" their app elsewhere.

    Hope that made sense :P
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  16. #336  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    I believe you need much more than just a US Telephone number to access their paid apps. When trying to buy a Pre 2 from the US HP website, they wouldn't let me check out online with an Australian credit card, and even my paypal account was declined because it was tied to Australian information. You'll need a US Address for paid apps as well as a US Credit card...
    Well, if it's like iTunes... there are ways around that that work if you have an Amex card. Contact me off-line, and I'll tell you how.
  17. #337  
    Quote Originally Posted by siobhanellis View Post
    Well, if it's like iTunes... there are ways around that that work if you have an Amex card. Contact me off-line, and I'll tell you how.
    Really? Wish I had have known that before! lol I've gone ahead and teed up with pastorrich1 that whenever I need more apps, I'll just paypal him some money to put into a simonmalls gift card. Still, better than no apps at all
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  18. #338  
    Thank you for the responses.
    I have been reading lots on this forum over the past couple of weeks & from what I can tell regarding access to the paid app catalog, it depends on the SIM card you use & the network you are connected to when you active the device as to what app catalog you can see. So, I could only get access to the US paid app catalog if I use an AT&T SIM while in the USA. If I activate it here on Telstra, then I will only see the free apps that are in the Australian app catalog since the Australian app catalog doesn't (yet?) contain paid apps. It seems that even using an Amex card doesn't allow you to see the US paid app catalog unless the device is activated in the US. Please correct me if I am wrong.

    I have seen rumors of the paid app catalog opening up to other countries, so I am hoping that this means that Australia will get the HP Pre 3 & paid apps.

    Jodi
  19. #339  
    My Pre arrived last night.
    I have upgraded it to 2.1 (had to doctor though since it told me that the 2.0.1 it has was the latest version)......and I found out that I have the EU version. So, I will consider getting my Optus SIM changed back to the bigger SIM to put in it (I have a micro SIM for the iPhone 4).
  20. PreRunr's Avatar
    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    #340  
    You bought a a Pre2 from the USA, which should be 850 and 1900 MHz but now you say its a EU 900 and 2100MHz. Yes OPTUS or Virgin will work for that. Did you get misled in your purchase? You didn't buy from HP then and that was my guess you were? I am about to try that and collect while in the USA in April, while there activating for US apps.

Posting Permissions