Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by krsmith88 View Post
    But most phones now can get an approximate position from the mobile towers, whereas ours seem to get some kind of position lock at a location that doesn't exist.

Also compare our position lock times to an iphone when indoors......
    I see what you are getting at. I don't bother to attempt to use anything location based inside as I know its not possible to get a GPS fix there.
    @krsmith88

Absolutely the iPhone & Android handsets can get an immediate "general" lock from cell towers, then refine over time using satellites.

My iPhone 4 immediately shows the map with a large circle for location, then very quickly zones in on me until I get a good lock, even indoors. My Palm Pre Plus (AT&T model) on Telstra never gets a lock indoors, and Google Maps sits with the blue dot on grey background for 30sec-3mins.

I don't know if it is an issue due to us being in Australia or not, but it is the reason why I am using an iPhone 4 at the moment instead of my beloved Palm Pre Plus because GPS is important to me for day-to-day usage.

Regards,
    Shane.
    Last edited by shanelord; 08/16/2010 at 05:22 AM.
    I agree with the time to lock with AT&T Pre plus. It's almost like it has a default location that it tries to use till lock. My friends iphone 4 gets a lock indoors straight away. Also Sirfstar 4 GPS chipsets are able to get a GPS lock indoors (depending on the thickness of walls etc) and they're several years old. I am missing GPS services on the Pre (a factor of their less than full app catalog) but not enough to give it up. When I trash talk the ios vs webos to my brother in law his reply is "yes but if you'd never seen the Pre you wouldn't know about how it does that stuff better". Not a valid argument in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    My Palm Centro was good at getting a location without GPS using the towers. So I think its because we cant use Google Services in Australia to get the first local estimate via the towers we then have to wait longer than the other phones. Inside Google maps does not work for me but I know where i am anyway. O2 DE Pre.
    Last edited by PreRunr; 08/21/2010 at 04:47 AM.
    I find with my AT&T Pre the only way I can get a quick lock is to run the Trapster app first while being outside with line of sight to the sky, wait for that to lock which it always does then open up something else like Foursquare and it works fine.

I'm thinking of buying a Pre 2 from Germany, would anyone be interested in purchasing an AT&T Pre Plus? 2 months old.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    After buying a second-hand Pre off eBay (arriving soon) and reading some of the horror stories around these forums, I was wondering. Have any Aussies had to replace their Pre cause of serious hardware issues?
    I've never had to return my Pre. From what i've read on these forums the build quality improved after the first batch of Pres.

I did have the fault where the phone dies when opening the slider. I read one forum post that suggested putting some paper between the top edge of the battery and the battery compartment. That worked for me.

I've never seen any oreo effect with mine. It's likely that if you continue to worry about the oreo effect, then wiggle the phone to check out how bad the effect is then you're bound to make it worse. Over time i'm sure that would make it quite bad.

Enjoy the phone!
    No problems here. Remember that on forums users with problems are more inclined to post.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Absolutely no problems since purchase in Nov 09. Love to have a new Pre 2 but the logistics are ridiculous having to ship it to another country to get apps. Was going for a AZERTY export to Hawaii for pickup. I am now hoping that in Jan HP will give us good news and the options will be more flexible, ie Pre 2 Plus and PalmPad. Back up plan is to buy one in EU in April and activate in US on return journey.
    Quote Originally Posted by sm07 View Post
    After buying a second-hand Pre off eBay (arriving soon) and reading some of the horror stories around these forums, I was wondering. Have any Aussies had to replace their Pre cause of serious hardware issues?
    Nup, no probs here, had one for about 9 / 10 months from spain.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Thanks guys, good to know.

With regards to webOS Quick Install, what version of webOSDoctor should I select for a GSM Pre? GSM European?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    It depends where it comes from UK, DE, ESP etc. Do you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by sm07 View Post
    Thanks guys, good to know.

With regards to webOS Quick Install, what version of webOSDoctor should I select for a GSM Pre? GSM European?
    webOS 1.4.5 WR

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Don't worry, stupid question, should have waited until I actually got the phone :P It's an O2 pre, sorted out all the webOS doctor stuff so it's fine
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Enjoy your basic Pre, not enough space for all my navit maps, but its by far the best phone after my Centro. Cant wait for the new releases we hope will come in Jan 2011.
    OK so I bought the (AT&T frequency) Pre 2 that r4iz0r had imported. He was unhappy with using it on the Optus network.

I'm using it on Vodafone, but my company is shifting to Telstra in August, so I wasn't too worried about the frequency thing.

As you all know, Voda are installing 850mhz in addition to their 900/2100 stuff. I have NOT been out of 3G coverage since getting the phone. Either Im just lucky, or there is a whole lotta 850mhz Vodafone in Sydney already. Very surprised.

Loving the phone, build quality is awesome compared to my Movistar Pre, (not that I found that phone bad, just "cheap" feeling)

Having a small issue with battery life? Seems to really chew through it?

Am going to try and get a Visa gift card from the USA this week, as I have App Cat Access to the USA catalog. Never could figure out how to pay for apps from the spanish catalog :-)

Not sure what to do with the old pre? they don't seem to be worth much? Keep as a spare?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Guys I'm quietly getting excited, but I don't wanna set myself up for disappointment.

Although the Touchpad and Pre3 aren't going to be available anytime soon in Aus, there's potentially good news for importers... some changes afoot with that pesky app catalog? The one that's driven us Aussie users mad with not being able to actually BUY apps?

look here http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ictures-5.html
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Guys I'm quietly getting excited, but I don't wanna set myself up for disappointment.

Although the Touchpad and Pre3 aren't going to be available anytime soon in Aus, there's potentially good news for importers... some changes afoot with that pesky app catalog? The one that's driven us Aussie users mad with not being able to actually BUY apps?

look here http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ictures-5.html
    I see no indication of the app catalog opening up globally any time soon (that's my definition of "soon", not Palm's definition, which based on recent actions is much much longer than my definition).

I expect to have to do the Europe->US->Australia shuffle for webOS devices well into 2012 ...

(I guess at least for the TouchPad wifi version I won't need the Europe leg)

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    darn darn darn!
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    I'm hoping for even more than just an app catalog... I hope I'll be able to by an HP webOS device at an aussie store someday soon. (Thats 'Palm-soon' not 'Rod-soon').