Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Thanks for sharing with us. I still have my QWERTZ Pre from O2 DE and very happy with it. Try NAVIT (see the forum on it) for your navigation as it gives turn by turn and its free. I sometimes wish I could buy an App but I cant, perhaps one day I will be allowed!
    As far as the copy and paste goes from websites, just hold the shift key and tap a block of text. Then you can paste it into a new email and edit it from there.

That's what I do anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Mine is accurate, but then it always has been. Did you try that patch that you linked to above?
    My Pre is registered in France and every time I am below equator I cannot be located... Looks like GPS only works in Northern Emispher???
    Quote Originally Posted by dserodon View Post
    My Pre is registered in France and every time I am below equator I cannot be located... Looks like GPS only works in Northern Emispher???
    Mine's Spanish and works fine in Australia.
    Just upgraded from my O2 DE Pre with a AT&T Pre Plus. I had it activated in the US and I can see the US apps catalog here in Australia. On the AT&T Plus the Telstra signal strength is stronger than the O2 Pre. Converting back to a QWERTY keyboard has caught me out with a few typos.

I've ordered a Netspend US prepaid Visa card which I can load via paypal. They tell me that it's in the mail (to my US mail drop) .... so here's hoping I can purchase apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by krsmith88 View Post
    As far as the copy and paste goes from websites, just hold the shift key and tap a block of text. Then you can paste it into a new email and edit it from there.

That's what I do anyway.
    Yeah, the only problem is you have to select the whole block. Something that (hopefully) can be fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by dserodon View Post
    My AT&T Pre Plus works fine in Aust as well. It can be slow to get a lock but it does work. The very first time I used google maps it took a long time to get the lock. Also it seems that the default location on start up is somewhere in the US. Hence a bit more faf to get directions.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    Thanks for sharing with us. I still have my QWERTZ Pre from O2 DE and very happy with it. Try NAVIT (see the forum on it) for your navigation as it gives turn by turn and its free. I sometimes wish I could buy an App but I cant, perhaps one day I will be allowed!
    I tried Navit when I first got my Pre. Took a while to get it to work. Unfortunately with the reset cause by Asphalt 5 it got wiped (and I haven't reloaded it). Interestingly the patches I applied stayed applied. Actually I only have the patch that stops the beep every time it starts a charge cycle (quite annoying when you're trying to sleep and your touchstone is malfunctioning...).

As far as Navit goes. Wow, what an amazing community project. Very impressive. Unfortunately I didn't find it reliable. To be more specific, It was very difficult to find an address. Sure you can scroll to the address, tap the map and set as destination but that was quite slow. Still, like I said, pretty impressive app.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I hope you guys don't have to go through the same drama as I have. Day 77 without my Pre...It is on a world tour of Palm / Expansys Europe to fix (among other things) screen issues. This is the problem with an o/s purchase. By the time I get it back there will be a new Government, new CEO of HP and probably a new model!

It's like the old joke that you can't complain about the service - there isn't any.
    Well I just bought myself an AT&T Palm Pre Plus off ebay. So far, the hardware looks great. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get it going yet, and I was wondering if any of you experienced Australian AT&T Pre users could give me a hand.

I have already bought the Nextgenserver Pre unlock.

Situation is:

I would assume the phone is still locked to AT&T, which is why I bought the Nextgen unlock in the first place. I do not have access to an AT&T sim card because they do not sell in Australia, and it is not practical to fuss around sending the phone back and forth to a friend in the US (unless that is my only possible solution).

All I have is a TPG/Telstra sim card. When there is no sim in the phone, the phone won't load, telling me to insert a sim. When there is a Sim card (from TPG/Telstra), it shows me a screen similar to this: http://bit.ly/dp20vH and the phone still will not load past that screen.

I understand that the Nexgen unlocking process begins after having the phone activated and running normally so you can type "webos20090606" into the universal search box.

I personally, do not have enough knowledge to guide me through the activation process so I can unlock the phone.

I just need to be confident with what I need to do (step by step instructions) because I cannot risk doing something incorrectly and having the phone permanently unusable.

If anyone has any guidance for me in this area, I'd be most happy to take replies to this post, Personal Messages, emails (mr.g.ash@msn.com), msn chats (same address), skype, anything! I really would like this fixed ASAP, and would be most grateful to anyone who can give me a little assistance.

Thanks again,
    Gavin
    Gavin, I think there are ways around this. I know people have activated their phones via wifi. Maybe search the forum for activation via wifi or something like that. Because my Pre was activated before it was shipped out to me I can't be of further help here. I'm pretty sure that people have dealt with this before (vaguely remember reading some threads about it a while back). I also seem to remember something about people bypassing activation but can't remember the details.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Spakler View Post
    Gavin, I think there are ways around this. I know people have activated their phones via wifi. Maybe search the forum for activation via wifi or something like that. Because my Pre was activated before it was shipped out to me I can't be of further help here. I'm pretty sure that people have dealt with this before (vaguely remember reading some threads about it a while back). I also seem to remember something about people bypassing activation but can't remember the details.

Good luck.
    I haven't received my TPG sim card yet (it is being posted). I have an old prepaid sim with no credit from telstra. Will I be able to use that while I'm waiting, so that the phone is ready when the TPG sim card I will be using in the end arrives?

Also someone else told me about this patched WebOS version that you could use to activate over wifi. However, I'm not sure how to install it onto the phone, and how to get it to work. If anyone knows of the original topic/post that explains this, that would be great. :-D

Thanks all,
    Gavin
    You can use the Meta-Doctor that I wrote to use your phone on wifi only.

Be aware that the country you are in when you first activate the phone determines your app catalogue access.

If you first activate a phone in Australia, you will never be able to buy apps on that phone.

-- Rod
    I don't want to use my phone on WiFi only. i just need to bypass the activation so I can unlock it. As soon as I get my proper Sim card it will have Data access, and I'd like to be able to use everything on my pre as it should work (except the app catalog - i'm not fussed about that)

Also another question that came to my mind. Kind of unrelated though. Is there a way to change the formatting of how phone numbers are shown. In Australia a mobile number is ####-###-### format and landline phones are usually (##) ####-####. Is there anyway to stop them from being formatted like (###) ###-#### and have them formatted to Australian way? if that made any sense at all xD

Thx
    I just wanted to know if anyone else here still gets the latitude being reported as 395.xxxx even after 1.4.x, I am starting to thing that I am the only one.
    Yessss, it is the most frustrating thing on my phone at the moment (even more frustrating than the battery going from 30% to 0% instantly).

I used to be able to get around this and the phone would eventually find a lock, however now it never works properly, hasn't for weeks, no matter how long you leave it to search.

Insanely frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz View Post
    Yessss, it is the most frustrating thing on my phone at the moment (even more frustrating than the battery going from 30% to 0% instantly).

I used to be able to get around this and the phone would eventually find a lock, however now it never works properly, hasn't for weeks, no matter how long you leave it to search.

Insanely frustrating.
    Is it in Google maps that it does this? It's very odd, because mine works fine. I think that rwhitby reported this problem early on.

Edit - Just to confirm that nothing has changed recently, I just went out into my back yard and Google maps had me correctly located withing a couple of minutes. (Adelaide)
    Last edited by johncc; 08/14/2010 at 07:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Is it in Google maps that it does this? It's very odd, because mine works fine. I think that rwhitby reported this problem early on.

Edit - Just to confirm that nothing has changed recently, I just went out into my back yard and Google maps had me correctly located withing a couple of minutes. (Adelaide)
    Mine seems to work fine when I'm outside, with a VERY clear view of the sky.

Indoors, in a car, and for the first 30-60 seconds after google maps launches it gives me the weird location.... Just a blue dot in a sea of grey lol...
    Mine seems to work fine when I'm outside, with a VERY clear view of the sky.

Indoors, in a car, and for the first 30-60 seconds after google maps launches it gives me the weird location.... Just a blue dot in a sea of grey lol...
    I guess that you do realise that you need a clear line of sight to several satellites to get a GPS fix? Even among tall buildings you will probably have problems.
    But most phones now can get an approximate position from the mobile towers, whereas ours seem to get some kind of position lock at a location that doesn't exist.

Also compare our position lock times to an iphone when indoors......
    Not that I want to be known for prmoting iPhone, but just for comparison.... ;-)