Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    thanks rwhitby, i've sent you a pm.

you know what i'm gonna miss the most? you guys. the homebrewers and the ppl on this forum made it all worthwhile. i'm gonna drop by and keep up to date. something like webos is too awesome to ignore.

also rhwitby if you ever get webos installed on a nexus one... i want it!!
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Bennish,
    I would like to thank you,
    Odd, I know because this is my first post, but over the last day or so I have just acquired a French SFR Pre Plus, and your posts (amongst others) have been instrumental in helping me get it up and running here in Australia.

I think anyone with even a little use of WebOS Down Under (or any unofficial country) can relate to the hassles.

I would like to thank you all, and I look forward to using WebOS for the near future at least.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    oh man, you've made me feel all warm and fuzzy!!

best of luck s clarke, and don't let sad, sad stories like mine put you off. webos is still the best piece of software out there. I can't get used to not flicking apps off the screen on my nexus one. its hardware is sweet and it's amazingly fast... but if only it had webos on it!! they're both linux... surely something can be done?

anyway, thanks s clarke keep up the good fight for us aussie enthusiasts. we're all having trouble with this phone down under, and people like rwhitby are making it better and better for us. keep in mind, the homebrew devs are all donate-to-able and they put it to extremely good use.

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I too, am offline for a while. I have an expansys DE Qwertz Pre that has a FUBAR screen, faulty touchstone and dodgy headset socket. I've sent it back to Hong Kong, and am waiting for it to go to Europe. This process is frustrating...you can't simply go to a Sprint or O2 store as it seems around 1/3 of Pre users have for an exchange.

Anyhow we are now 2 weeks or so in and they say it will be probably another 2 weeks for 'a result' whatever that means. If it doesn't workout I think I'll be droiding.
    Hi All, sorry to hear so many people leaving. Hopefully the HP buyout makes the next Palm phone available natively in Australia.

I didn't get any replies to my AT&T question about the pre plus and Telstra. With that in mind I went out and bought one from ebay anyway. The seller assured me that he activated the phone before he shipped it off. He did create a dummy profile on it for me.

Problem is the phone will arrive this week but i'm away this week and next so won't get to try it out till I get back. I'll post an answer to my own question when I get back for anyone that's interested.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pangi View Post
    I too, am offline for a while. I have an expansys DE Qwertz Pre that has a FUBAR screen, faulty touchstone and dodgy headset socket. I've sent it back to Hong Kong, and am waiting for it to go to Europe. This process is frustrating...you can't simply go to a Sprint or O2 store as it seems around 1/3 of Pre users have for an exchange.

Anyhow we are now 2 weeks or so in and they say it will be probably another 2 weeks for 'a result' whatever that means. If it doesn't workout I think I'll be droiding.
    Yup, another 2 weeks on and no sign of my Pre. I called Expansys UK since HK wasn't answering yesterday and they say they are going to follow it up.

When they said that a Palm Pre could be easily "rooted", I didn't expect that they meant in the Aussie meaning of the word!
    Hi All, I'm back and have my AT&T Pre plus in hand. I've unlocked it using the Nextgen server and it has access to the USA app catalog (I asked the ebay seller to ensure it was activated before he shipped it).

So far here are my impressions:

Reception is better than my outgoing Xperia X1. I haven't dropped a call in my apartment. The Xperia would do this regularly as if I moved around (presuming it was having trouble deciding which network to use ie roaming with 3 or sticking with Telstra).

Call quality is superb. People have commented how clear I sound (I wasn't expecting this).

Keyboard. Seems perfectly usable. I was using the Swype software keyboard with the xperia which is very very good and was worried about going to a small hardware keyboard but no complaints so far.

Overall quite happy with webos and the pre plus. I hope that the next Webos phone is released natively in Australia.
    Hi All, I forgot to mention one important thing about the phone. I thought initially the low res would be a problem (the Xperia has 800x480). Well the only time I notice it is when viewing a web page fully zoomed out. The text looks a little blurry. However, it's not going to be comfortable to read at that zoom level anyway.

Much more important is sunlight visibility. For this the Pre is very impressive. I don't notice if the sun is shining on the screen or not (it's that good). It's funny to me that other manufacturers are still making phones with screens that need to be shielded from the sun to be viewed.

Lastly, something else I forgot to say is a very big thank you to Rwhitby, Tommi666, Bennish, The White Tower, JohnnCC and anyone else that's contributed to the information on this forum. Without your info i'd most likely have a pre without app catalog access or next g compatibility.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Anyone get the upgrade to 1.4.5 who is on Virgin? When I check for updates it just gives a list of Apps nothing about 1.4.5. I have a QWERTZ pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    Anyone get the upgrade to 1.4.5 who is on Virgin? When I check for updates it just gives a list of Apps nothing about 1.4.5. I have a QWERTZ pre.
    There are a number of factors, but I don't think that your current carrier is one of them. I'm still waiting with my ex-Movistar Spanish Pre.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Maybe its fixed now: I used Metadoctor in March to get 1.4.1 update while in Austria with no phone network. I think that is where the trouble lies. Once I did a new webosdoctor install of 1.4.5 today I got the old backups (March) from Palm, so I deduce that Palm thought I was off-air and so no OTA update.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I miss my Pre and webos.

The Nexus One is great. But it's more the hardware than anything. WebOS running on this processor would make me wet myself.

Have my Pre+ on XT (Telecom, New Zealand). Bought it on the bay of eeee (AT&T). Worked out of the box and I absolutely love it. Showed it off last night to my buddy who is pretty keen on his iPhone. His only complaint about the Pre was the screen real estate... but he's getting one anyway ;-)
    www.gsmworld.com
    Hi Guys, I just got an unlocked Movistar Palm Pre which has WebOS 1.1.2 installed. Using it on Vodafone and it works a treat except for the fact it's an old version of WebOS.

There's no update app on the device so I'm wondering how the hell I upgrade it to 1.4.5??

Do I just use the WebDoctor app for O2 devices (Build 236.222) which I found on Palm website?

Also concerned that if I install this it we re-lock my device?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by tim3g View Post
    Hi Guys, I just got an unlocked Movistar Palm Pre which has WebOS 1.1.2 installed. Using it on Vodafone and it works a treat except for the fact it's an old version of WebOS.

There's no update app on the device so I'm wondering how the hell I upgrade it to 1.4.5??

Do I just use the WebDoctor app for O2 devices (Build 236.222) which I found on Palm website?

How was it unlocked, and what is the information regarding this from the seller?

-- Rod

I have a movistar pre in aus that was unlocked by carrier code from Spain. I just dr'd it up to 1.4.5. recently. Given that none of us are going to get / need carrier specific settings, I didn't think it would matter much. The unlock question, I can't answer for you, but it was certainly no problem for me.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    I have a movistar pre in aus that was unlocked by carrier code from Spain. I just dr'd it up to 1.4.5. recently. Given that none of us are going to get / need carrier specific settings, I didn't think it would matter much. The unlock question, I can't answer for you, but it was certainly no problem for me.
    Ditto. I have an unlocked Movistar Pre- which has been Doctored several times without issue. (re O2, they are all just European GSM)
    Just to add to Carl Spakler's comments about AT&T Pre+:

- I've been using a German O2 Pre (model 100UEU) for 8 months on Telstra. This Pre has the 900/2100 European 3G frequencies. Very happy with the whole webOS experience! But, being on Telstra I could only get a 3G connection in (parts of) Australian metro areas through the 2100 band - no 850 band for rural areas. Worked fine in Asia and Europe though!

- To get better coverage I bought an AT&T Pre+ in USA last week (Model 101UNA, US$399 without contract). I activated while still in USA using a prepaid AT&T SIM. As most know, the AT&T Pre+ has 850/1900 bands -- same 850 as Telstra Next G. AT&T said it was "not eligible for unlocking for at least one year". However, using Nextgen Server from UK (GBP25 for unlock code) I unlocked it just fine back in AU. You need to VERY CAREFULLY follow their instructions though (and watch the YouTube video).

- So now I have: great 3G coverage, 16GB instead of 8GB, QWERTY keypad (not that QWERTZ fussed me), US Apps catalogue (~2700apps) - but have not bought any apps yet, working on-off switch (previous was broken) => EXTREMELY pleased!

- Only setting found missing so far is no 2G/3G selection in phone menu.

- As an aside, I've re-found great battery life (>1 day). The AT&T is version 1.4.2 firmware. With my O2 Pre I updated to 1.4.5 a few weeks ago and instantly found diabolical baterry life from 1.4.2. I very strongly suspect this was due to different APN settings for Telstra in the database, because had opposite experience going to 1.4 from previous.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by slimmo View Post
    Just to add to Carl Spakler's comments about AT&T Pre+:

- I've been using a German O2 Pre (model 100UEU) for 8 months on Telstra. This Pre has the 900/2100 European 3G frequencies. Very happy with the whole webOS experience! But, being on Telstra I could only get a 3G connection in (parts of) Australian metro areas through the 2100 band - no 850 band for rural areas. Worked fine in Asia and Europe though!

- To get better coverage I bought an AT&T Pre+ in USA last week (Model 101UNA, US$399 without contract). I activated while still in USA using a prepaid AT&T SIM. As most know, the AT&T Pre+ has 850/1900 bands -- same 850 as Telstra Next G. AT&T said it was "not eligible for unlocking for at least one year". However, using Nextgen Server from UK (GBP25 for unlock code) I unlocked it just fine back in AU. You need to VERY CAREFULLY follow their instructions though (and watch the YouTube video).

- So now I have: great 3G coverage, 16GB instead of 8GB, QWERTY keypad (not that QWERTZ fussed me), US Apps catalogue (~2700apps) - but have not bought any apps yet, working on-off switch (previous was broken) => EXTREMELY pleased!

- Only setting found missing so far is no 2G/3G selection in phone menu.

- As an aside, I've re-found great battery life (>1 day). The AT&T is version 1.4.2 firmware. With my O2 Pre I updated to 1.4.5 a few weeks ago and instantly found diabolical baterry life from 1.4.2. I very strongly suspect this was due to different APN settings for Telstra in the database, because had opposite experience going to 1.4 from previous.

Cheers

Hi Slimmo,
    Congrats mate! May I ask what specific AT&T PREPAID sim card did you use to activate the phone in the US? Does AT&T have a NO-contract prepaid sim? How much is the prepaid sim? I live in Sydney and I bought an AT&T palm pre plus in the ebay. My friend who is in the US has it now and I would like him to activate it before sending it over to me. During your activation, did you have to complete both the language selection AND the palm profile creation? If yes, can my friend enter any of my personal email address (yahoo or gmail) in the palm profile creation email field?

Thank you.
    Hi All, I thought it was time for an update.

Things I really like:
    Gestures,
    Keyboard,
    Card UI,
    Size, and
    Touchstone

Things I don't (probably pretty standard):
    Alarm flexibility (can only set the alarm a pre defined period before the even),
    Snooze reminder (same as above),
    Selecting text on web pages etc,
    Lack of turn by turn nav ap,
    Lack of office doc editor,
    Lack of Swype, and
    Battery life.

A friend of mine bought the new Iphone 4. I've had a play with it. I found myself instantly wanting to use the gesture area to go back etc. Instead Apple puts back buttons up the top left of the screen (screen is big so not easy to use one handed).

The Pre keyboard is great. I used to be a fan of the landscape keyboard of my old Xperia x1a but now i'm a convert to the portrait. Keys have great feel and I find I have minimal errors. I've tried the following soft keyboards:
    Iphone 4
    Swype
    T9 Numberpad.
    I really liked the T9 numberpad on my old winmo phones, it was easy to text and walk as you didn't really need to look at the screen. Swype was great for similar reasons and very fast to input text. Haven't spent much time with iphone 4. Although it's got decent error correction I don't think it's still up to speed with T9 numberpad or Swype. Best of all is the Pre portrait keyboard. I've read that Palm increased the quality with the plus version Pres. I have no complaints and I don't exactly have piano players fingers.

The card UI is much better than the iphone 4 multi tasking system. Live pages you can view while minimised are great combined with gesture navigation is fantastic.

I miss being able to set specific alarm times for events. I have annual events I need to complete and I need a reminder one month prior so I can start to get organised. Snoozing a period I choose would also be nice.

I'm missing turn by turn NAV and office doc editors. I would use Excel on my old winmo phone every day or two as well as one note mobile. I also really miss skype. Google chat is fine for the short term but I hope skype get's integrated into the messaging app soon (not holding nt breath).

The AT&T Pre plus has been working great with Telstra. No complaints about call quality etc. In fact the speakerphone and general sound quality is great. Those two things always seemed like an afterthought with my winmo phones. Almost like they were made as a PDA first which had the phone function tacked onto the design at the last minute.

So far I've had a couple of problems with Apps. They've both been with Asphalt 5. When I went to install the full version of asphalt 5 my phone went into a reset loop before self performing a full reset and requiring me to re-setup my profile (my phone remained unlocked with app catalog access). Recently after unlocking everything except the last two cars asphalt 5 reset and took me back to the very start with nothing complete (some of the races were pretty painful and I don't want to do them again).

After the hard reset getting things back up and running was quite pain free. The palm backup is nice but lacking a few features already commented on many times (SMS backup etc). The Microsoft solution for winmo is much better, it backs up SMS's and can locate/lock/remote wipe your phone if lost or stolen.

The size and feel of the Pre is great. I hope the next version doesn't grow or change the form factor too much.

The touchstone is great. Being able to play music through the touchstone is definitely something Palm/HP should look into for the next version. Of note, I bought two touchstones from Precentral. Both were faulty. One didn't charge at all and the other has the charge/no charge cycle (probably due to the distance the phone is from the induction coils as highlighted in another forum post). I sent the broken touchstone back to Precentral. The semi broken one I keep at work as it's not a big deal if it charge cycles there (as apposed to the constant flashing next to my bed while i'm trying to sleep). Precentral were great with the return. Shipped a new touchstone out very promptly which they opened and checked before they sent out). The replacement touchstone must be a newer build. The packaging was slightly different (internally) and it came with a clear plastic cap that must be used to protect the face during transit (rather than the clear plastic sticker of the first two I got). I've put that plastic cap on my work touchstone and now don't have any more charge cycle issues.

As for my friend. They would have bought a Pre (having seen and played around with mine) except they're very heavily invested in itunes having had an ipod touch for a few years. Additionally, the main issue was due to the Pre not being a local release (it's not nearly as turn key as the iphone). Getting paid apps has been painful (but not impossible).

Finally battery life. I've bought the Seido extended battery (the one that fits in the normal case). Before putting in the Seido battery the phone would sometimes shutdown when it was cold and I closed the keyboard (bit of shock/click as they keyboard closes) probably due to momentarily breaking the battery contacts. The Seido battery (being fractionally bigger) solved this issue. Battery life is fine on week days as the phone sits on my touchstone at work all day. However, i've been caught short occasionally on weekends. I may start taking the original Pre battery with me if away from home for long periods on the weekend.

Overall i'm very happy with the Pre and certainly won't be getting rid of it any time soon. Looking forward to see what HP has in store.