Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by krsmith88 View Post

I think it is specific to the UK pre though....
    Looking at the text of the patch, I don't think that it would be O2 specific.
    have any aussies got paid apps though the palm catalog yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by boyblueeye View Post
    You need a credit card with an address in one of the official Palm supported countries in which they have a carrier agreement. Australia is not one of those countries.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    dam i should have keep my uk c/c active
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    by the way, if the pre will work on quad frequencies for 2G, does that mean you can just use it on EDGE on telstra? Would that be fast enough?

Also why can't you just roam onto hutchinson 3? i don't know much about it, sorry if i'm asking silly questions
    Allan,
    All is not lost! I've had a QWERTZ Pre 100UEU on Telstra for 4 months now, and apart from moments of frustration -- it is FANTASTIC. I can get 3G via 2100UMTS (Hutchison/Telstra) sporadically in some areas of Melbourne, but consistently get EDGE in most places (including regional Vic).

In fact, I think all the talk of 3G speeds is overhyped. Using a mobile speed test website I can consistently get >300kb/s with EDGE, and only 500kb/s or so with 3G. So - for me - in practice - there is no significant difference between the two.

On a slightly different note, with last week's 1.4 > 1.4.1 firmware update I temporarily lost 3G (and the associated screen network identifier "3Telstra"). However, by entering APN "telstra.internet" (user and password blank) in Manual Settings (rather than Automatic), I got 3G back. Intriguingly, the screen network identifier is now just "Telstra", and there is no "R" (roaming) above the signal bars! Also, the 3G connection does not seem so flaky as before.

If I do a network search it will still find "3Telstra" as well as "Telstra", but if I connect to 3Telstra (2100UMTS) I can't get 3G anymore. I only get 3G with APN telstra.internet and I'm a bit mystified by this, as it still MUST be 2100UMTS with a 100UEU phone on Telstra to get 3G. Any clues why/how?
    Quote Originally Posted by slimmo View Post
    If I do a network search it will still find "3Telstra" as well as "Telstra", but if I connect to 3Telstra (2100UMTS) I can't get 3G anymore. I only get 3G with APN telstra.internet and I'm a bit mystified by this, as it still MUST be 2100UMTS with a 100UEU phone on Telstra to get 3G. Any clues why/how?
    I am still wanting to return the phone and probably go to a iPhone until (and if) WebOS comes to Australia formally.

If the return does not work out, perhaps it is not as bad as it could be. I am looking for good data connection speeds in a non-metro area. iPhone can do NextG while the Palm Pre cannot.
    I just wanted to know if anyone else here still gets the latitude being reported as 395.xxxx even after 1.4.x, I am starting to thing that I am the only one.
    Quote Originally Posted by krsmith88 View Post
    I just wanted to know if anyone else here still gets the latitude being reported as 395.xxxx even after 1.4.x, I am starting to thing that I am the only one.
    Mine is accurate, but then it always has been. Did you try that patch that you linked to above?
    that patch is just for changing the default start location from a high up view of the UK to a view of Australia.

That works fine, but then when the pre thinks it has my location, it zooms in the a plain view of what looks like water.

It takes another couple of minutes for it to grab the correct location, which I guess it gets from the mobile network.
  10. fakemirror
    Quote Originally Posted by boyblueeye View Post
    Yes, I purchased MotionApps Classic emulator from the App Catalog, for use on a Sprint Pre in Oz.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    What's up guys? None of us have been in here practically all month. We all busy enjoying our Pres?

How's the general feeling about app catalog? Are any aussies or kiwis feeling disheartened when looking and seeing all those 'euro' prices we can't use? Or are you getting used to it?

Personally, aside from wanting to try bad kitty twitter app and/or have the full version of tweed, i don't think we're missing out on much. Sure, there are a few apps i've seen i'd pay for, but only about 2 or 3. All the other stuff i need is free (or homebrew, in case of drpodder which i LOVE!).

Anyone else?
    What's up guys? None of us have been in here practically all month. We all busy enjoying our Pres?
    I've been hard at work on Preware Alpha, Save/Restore, Uber-Kernel and Govnah

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    *there* you are rwhitby! missed you around many parts of the forums.

keep up the awesome work
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Travelling since end Feb to Europe and USA, unable to use my Global SIM card (I tried t ask if anyone has done it before but no news on that) so I carry my Pre for wifi and a SE phone for the SMS and calls. Big issue was the 1.4.1 upgrade which I eventually managed using webosdoctor from our internals gurus as I was unable to validate without a phone connection. This way i have been staying up to date and following the up and down Palm story. At Times Square in NYC the Palm Pre advert was HUGE so they are trying. I use it as my calendar, email, weather, mapping apps. I even took pictures and movies in Memphis as my wife had my camera.
    Hi all, yep it's been a while since I've been around! Hope you guys have all been well

My enthusiasm about Palm has been re-invigorated with the imminent intro of the GSM Pre Plus. After parting with my Palm Pre (German variant) a while back I'm keen to get back on the AT&T version as I understand it can do HSDPA 850 and therefore ideal for the Telstra NextG network. I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that the German Pre Plus that will go on sale in a few hours will be the 2100 version yeah?

Anyway, thought I'd say g'day and perhaps hear from anyone else that will be upgrading or jumping onto the webOS platform in the form of the Pre Plus.
    Hi All, I've been waiting for an 850mhz HSDPA phone with webos since the original Pre was first announced. When it was first released I went into a Telstra store to ask about it. They told me that they didn't think it would be coming to Telstra even though it was 850mhz (at the time I thought it odd that they knew which frequencies it operated on and thought they may just be trying to keep the release date under wraps. I guess they weren't fibbing). I've been a long time and happy user of winmo (since the imate Jam). Recently with some 6.5.5 cooked ROMs winmo is actually very impressive. The big things I will miss on the pre are turn by turn nav and office document editing. Igo on winmo is very, very good. I can minimise it so that I get voice guidance or graphical guidance depending on what other aps have my attention at that time. I also update an excel spreadsheet on my phone every day. Small points but with no multitasking and no cut and paste Winmo7 is a step backwards. Microsoft seem to be going after form rather than function. I could go on for days but this is a Palm thread after all... The great way that webos handles multitasking makes me wonder why other phone OS developers haven't done it before. I might have to try my hand at some app creating to tide me over till webos gets an office document editing app. I'm hoping that the current unlock solution works on the AT&T pre plus so will try to grab one of those when released along with one of those mail order Visa debit cards from the USA so that I can buy apps. It sounds like there are a few other Telstra users on the forum waiting for an AT&T Pre Plus as well...
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    what with the latest news, i'm gonna hold off on plans to look at a pre plus. I'mma see what HPalm has planned. If they end up bringing out a true worldwide handset (and they could) i'd rather buy one properly in aus. With paid app catalog perhaps!!

Good days ahead, friends. Good days.
    Hi All, anybody using an AT&T Pre plus with Telstra in Australia? I'm wondering what the reception is like (particularly in the city where Telstra tend to roam with 3 on the 2100mhz band which is missing from the AT&T pre plus). Any other comments about how it's been going?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Well guys, just wanted to drop by and let you know I've left WebOS... for now.

For a while, I've been dissatisfied with my experience being an Aussie Pre user. And also with first-gen WebOS handset. I'd been wondering about going to the HTC Desire or the Nexus One (basically same phone).

Well, my mind was kinda made up for me Saturday arvo when my Pre suddenly went into 'Phone Offline'. It never came out of it. Tried everything, repair, Doctor, several doctors actually. Now at start-up screen it tells me there's a problem and to contact Palm. Well I sure can't go to, or blame, Goma (who I bought it from) and I certainly can't 'take it back to the Sprint store' like all the americans here love telling me. So, it'll either be find a way to fix it then sell it, or sell it for spare parts. (I realise I could always buy a new Pre, but it was only by chance I ended up with app store access at all. It's just too risky while Aus is 'unofficial'.)

For now, I've gone with a Nexus One. I miss WebOS already, but it's nice to have proper app store access, good hardware, less annoyances. Still think WebOS is the world's best OS but I'll come back to it when a WebOS device is launched IN Australia.

Thanks for all the support from you fellow Aussies though. If my Pre hadn't broken, I probably would've stayed with it... only just.

Keep on keepin' on!!

Anyone want an unlocked Spanish GSM Pre stuck in 'phone offline' mode? Anyone need one for testing purposes? I'm certain a meta-doctor would fix it but that's beyond my capabilities. Going cheep cheep cheep!
    Well guys, just wanted to drop by and let you know I've left WebOS... for now.

For a while, I've been dissatisfied with my experience being an Aussie Pre user. And also with first-gen WebOS handset. I'd been wondering about going to the HTC Desire or the Nexus One (basically same phone).

Well, my mind was kinda made up for me Saturday arvo when my Pre suddenly went into 'Phone Offline'. It never came out of it. Tried everything, repair, Doctor, several doctors actually. Now at start-up screen it tells me there's a problem and to contact Palm. Well I sure can't go to, or blame, Goma (who I bought it from) and I certainly can't 'take it back to the Sprint store' like all the americans here love telling me. So, it'll either be find a way to fix it then sell it, or sell it for spare parts. (I realise I could always buy a new Pre, but it was only by chance I ended up with app store access at all. It's just too risky while Aus is 'unofficial'.)

For now, I've gone with a Nexus One. I miss WebOS already, but it's nice to have proper app store access, good hardware, less annoyances. Still think WebOS is the world's best OS but I'll come back to it when a WebOS device is launched IN Australia.

Thanks for all the support from you fellow Aussies though. If my Pre hadn't broken, I probably would've stayed with it... only just.

Keep on keepin' on!!

Anyone want an unlocked Spanish GSM Pre stuck in 'phone offline' mode? Anyone need one for testing purposes? I'm certain a meta-doctor would fix it but that's beyond my capabilities. Going cheep cheep cheep!
    I'll take that guy off your hands ...

-- Rod