Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Burgess View Post
    I realise you guys are saying no way the phone can support 850 MHz HSDPA but the information seems to be common on ebay and the net!

There is also the very real posibility of having to claim warranty if the number of faults reported in these forums is anyhting to go on also gives me pause.

I just want a Pre!
    The web reference and email are quite unambiguous, but I still don't believe them. The implication is that 850MHz 3G is available on all GSM Pre, and that definitely is not true.
    Last edited by johncc; 03/15/2010 at 10:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishiazza View Post
    I bought a QWERTZ pre on ebay direct from Germany. But while I was looking I noticed there were quite a few GSM Pres advertised, using big photos of Pres with QWERTY keyboards, but the fine text said they were QWERTZ... watch out!

For my part, I am quite happy with the QWERTZ keyboard. Especially since I use the name "azza" in many other parts of my life as well. Fortunately the Y-Z key change is the only difference from a standard US keyboard. It would be a nightmare if it was a real German keyboard, which has a lot of other differences.
    Don't forget you can always use the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor to permanently swap the logical Z and Y keys ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I spoke with a Telstra rep last week who said the Pre was listed on GSMArena.com - GSM phone reviews, news, opinions, votes, manuals and more... Palm Pre - Full phone specifications where it stated it had HSDPA 850 and so should operate fine.

I realise you guys are saying no way the phone can support 850 MHz HSDPA but the information seems to be common on ebay and the net!
    Heh, trusting a Telstra rep. Bad move.

Ask the seller for the specific model number inside the battery compartment.

If it says P100UEU, then it's EU bands for 3G.

It will do 850MHZ for GSM EDGE, but not for 3G (it does 900MHz for 3G instead of 850MHz).

The Pre is quad-band GSM, but only dual-band 3G. US models are 850/1900 and EU models are 900/2100. Take a look at Specifications section in http://www.o2.co.uk/deviceinfo/devic...palmpreeng.pdf for the official word on this. Believe no other document you see on the web.

I am not aware of any unlocked US GSM model.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Anybody looking for a bargain QWERTZ phone in Sydney please PM me.
    More info on the Pre frequency bands here.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/gs...ml#post2310675
    so it is also confirmed by Palm themselves.

Why is life so cruel.

I guess I wait or buy an alternate device. I want to stay with Telstra and I am not in a metro area.

Thanks for everybody's advice.
    The ebay listings appears to have changed from Kickmobile: they now states:

"Quadband : 3G Network : HSDPA 1900/2100 & 2G Network 850/900/1800/1900"
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    by the way, if the pre will work on quad frequencies for 2G, does that mean you can just use it on EDGE on telstra? Would that be fast enough?

Also why can't you just roam onto hutchinson 3? i don't know much about it, sorry if i'm asking silly questions

I guess I wait or buy an alternate device. I want to stay with Telstra and I am not in a metro area.

Thanks for everybody's advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    by the way, if the pre will work on quad frequencies for 2G, does that mean you can just use it on EDGE on telstra? Would that be fast enough?

Also why can't you just roam onto hutchinson 3? i don't know much about it, sorry if i'm asking silly questions
    He's outside 3's 3G coverage.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    whelp, looks like at&t is confirmed. if you want something to work on telstra nextg, that's the exact model you need. guess we'll see what options there are for unlocking once they come out
    I ordered one from GSM Unlocked Miami. It quoted QWERTY keyboard and HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100. Coming from USA, I thought that both features were a reasonably sure.

It arrived today, QWERTZ keyboard and 2G only on Telstra.

I am writting an e-mail now. The model is P100EUE.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    not the best listener are you?
    I ordered one from GSM Unlocked Miami. It quoted QWERTY keyboard and HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100. Coming from USA, I thought that both features were a reasonably sure.

It arrived today, QWERTZ keyboard and 2G only on Telstra.

I am writting an e-mail now. The model is P100EUE.
    P100UEU is the European band model.

It'll work fine on everything except Telstra NextG.

If you get stuck with it, I can help you permanently remap the Y and Z on the keyboard.

-- Rod
    It is a really nice phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    whelp, looks like at&t is confirmed. if you want something to work on telstra nextg, that's the exact model you need. guess we'll see what options there are for unlocking once they come out
    So what were you saying about AT&T? What do I watch for?
    EDIT - Sarcastic response removed by writer, after second thoughts.
    If I was you now (since it's clear you will believe just about anything you read on a seller's website, even when it is in direct conflict with what I have shown you in the official palm documentation), I would wait until you get direct positive confirmation from an Aussie that they have used the exact phone on Telstra NextG from the exact seller that you are intending to buy from.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If I was you now (since it's clear you will believe just about anything you read on a seller's website, even when it is in direct conflict with what I have shown you in the official palm documentation),
    -- Rod
    My only defense was that the seller was from the States and therefore the phone apeared to me to be from the States when it was actually imported from Europe (now obvious).

And sometimes I can listen too....
    Seriously, you guys are great! Thanks for your efforts at guiding a hopeless case.

Incidently, I found another one on e-bay - this one specifically an 'unocked AT&T. It is titled: "Palm Pre GSM Unlocked AT&T 3G PrPrPr&$quot$;.

At least in the fine print they say "IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP WORLDWIDE

- Palm pre Gsm (German version) with qwertz physical keyboard.
    - Software Easily switchable from German to English, French, Italian, Spanish etc....
    - Great phone for At&t customers because it fully supports At&t 3G bands.
    - Will work with T-mobile too but no 3G speeds, Edge will be accessible.
    "

I'm not buying - in case you were getting concerned about my mental health.
    Just thought I would post this for the interest of anyone with an O2 UK pre. This patch will change the default Google Maps view to Australia from UK.

I think it is specific to the UK pre though....

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2285398