Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    I am convinced on getting a pre and am on a plan with Telstra. I have a couple of questions.

-Should I buy from UK for more apps?
    -Can anyone confirm the 'NextG' works well on a Palm Pre with HSDPA 850 MHz?

Prices on ebay are around $AUS 1,100 with postage from UK.
    If Goma has them at EUR350 about $AUS 520 is there a catch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Burgess View Post
    I am convinced on getting a pre and am on a plan with Telstra. I have a couple of questions.

You definitely will NOT get nextG on a european pre, although they are quad band GSM they are only dual band 3G, which are 900/2100mhz, nextG is 850mhz, but they do work 3G on telstra in major capital cities, where telstra share some 2100mhz spectrum with THREE. It appears they show as roaming, but you are not charged as though you are roaming.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

So is $1,100 too expensive?

UK phones are locked and I am not aware of anybody unlocking one. They can apparently be used with the Rebel Sim and similar products.

Last I heard goma's price was 450 Euro (incl PP). To quote myself from another post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Movistar Spain Pre (QWERTY) can be unlocked by a couple of private suppliers who are Precentral members goma (a number, including mine, delivered to Aus - was 450 Euro incl PP) and zkyevolved (I am aware of one deliverd to Sweden recently - 300 Euro +PP)
    The distribution of known Aussie Pre is in this thread. http://discussion.treocentral.com/gs...re-phones.html

$1,100 is too much.
    Last edited by johncc; 03/13/2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: updated goma's price incl PP
    Here is the UK phone that reads to me as unlocked. Am I missing something?

BNIB 8GB PALM PRE UNLOCKED TO ANY NET QWERTY Keyboard (#290392237323)

BNIB 8GB PALM PRE UNLOCKED TO ANY NET QWERTY Keyboard - eBay, Cell Phones Smartphones, Cell Phones PDAs. (end time 18-Mar-10 08:13:03 AEDST)

Where do I get a Pre that supports NextGs 850 MHz?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    you don't. They don't exist (yet) - once AT&T in the US has one, you can get one of those. They'll do 3g on 850mhz
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Here is the UK phone that reads to me as unlocked. Am I missing something?

BNIB 8GB PALM PRE UNLOCKED TO ANY NET QWERTY Keyboard (#290392237323)

BNIB 8GB PALM PRE UNLOCKED TO ANY NET QWERTY Keyboard - eBay, Cell Phones Smartphones, Cell Phones PDAs. (end time 18-Mar-10 08:13:03 AEDST)

Where do I get a Pre that supports NextGs 850 MHz?
    Telcel Mexico's GSM Palm Pre supports 850 Mhz 3G, however the newly crowned richest man in the world (Mr. Carlos Slim) has went to great lengths to make sure Telcel's Palm Pre is not unlockable. BTW - Telcel (one of his companies) charges the highest roaming fees in the universe!

TTB
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Telcel Mexico's GSM Palm Pre supports 850 Mhz 3G, however the newly crowned richest man in the world (Mr. Carlos Slim) has went to great lengths to make sure Telcel's Palm Pre is not unlockable. BTW - Telcel (one of his companies) charges the highest roaming fees in the universe!

TTB
    I just thought of something really strange. Maybe Palm has went to such great lengths to satisfy Mr. Slim's demand that his Telcel Palm Pre cannot be unlocked in hopes he'll invest large sums of cash into the company .................
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I've been shooting some emails off to Goma:

"Now I only have one used unlocked Pre in mint condition and news ones but locked to Movistar.

The price for the unlocked one is 450 euro shipping included. 325 euros locked ones."

Sorry to ask, but I never got a clear answer, but I currently have an iPhone, and if I get the unlocked Pre, will my iPhone Optus Sim card work in the Pre, and will I get 3G?
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Yes, I've done exactly that but with an unlocked O2 QWERTZ phone.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    i forgot about the mexican one.

if you could somehow unlock it, you'd have a nextg handset.

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    So, what about the 850MHz unlocked QWERTY Pre phones on ebay? Do a search in ebay with "palm pre -qwertz -sprint -verizon -o2 -bell". Why would these not work?

I don't realy want to unlock myself after reading some of the issues with 1.4 I think it would be worth having a hnadset that was factory unlocked.
    So, what about the 850MHz unlocked QWERTY Pre phones on ebay? Do a search in ebay with "palm pre -qwertz -sprint -verizon -o2 -bell". Why would these not work?

I don't realy want to unlock myself after reading some of the issues with 1.4 I think it would be worth having a hnadset that was factory unlocked.
    Could not find the phone on eBay, but as far as I know the only one with 850MHz is the Mexican one and that has not been unlocked, in spite of a massive effort described on here.

There are several people on here using the German QWERTZ unlocked Pre on Telstra (apparently getting 3G in metro areas on 2100MHz from an agreement that Telstra has with Hutchison 3).

Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Telcel Mexico's GSM Palm Pre supports 850 Mhz 3G,

It's a con. The 3G band information they are listing is very likely to be incorrect. They will be quad band GSM, but tri band 3G with European 3G bands (i.e. *not* Telstra NextG). So it would work perfectly on every 3G network in Australia *except* Telstra NextG.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I will ask them to specifically check and confirm HSDPA 850MHz band... , and then still be unsure if they do.

Appreciate all the comments from everyone.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I'm so happy I'm not with Telstra right about now.
    I will ask them to specifically check and confirm HSDPA 850MHz band... , and then still be unsure if they do.

Appreciate all the comments from everyone.
    Also ask which carrier's phones they are.
    The $AUD 1,057 Pre listing from KICKmobiles states in three places in the description.
    "Quadband : 3G Network : HSDPA 850/1900/2100 & 2G Network 850/900/1800/1900"

Their first e-mail reponse:

Dear Allan, thanks, understand what you mean, but these specification is given as per manufacturer.

If you need to be clear, ple contact your network and tell them you plan to buy palm pre and whehter it is compatible with your network.

Phone is unlocked by network unlock code, meaning the buyer can use as similar to factory unlocked, creating palm profile etc.

Many Thanks
    KICKmobiles
    - kickmobiles-ltd
    My Question was:
    Can you absolutely confirm (re-check the product) that this phone is HSDPA 850/1900/2100. I would like to use the phone on the Australian Telstra NextG network which operated on the HSDPA 850MHz band. The phone is useless otherwise.

I spoke with a Telstra rep last week who said the Pre was listed on GSMArena.com - GSM phone reviews, news, opinions, votes, manuals and more... Palm Pre - Full phone specifications where it stated it had HSDPA 850 and so should operate fine.

I realise you guys are saying no way the phone can support 850 MHz HSDPA but the information seems to be common on ebay and the net!

There is also the very real posibility of having to claim warranty if the number of faults reported in these forums is anyhting to go on also gives me pause.

I just want a Pre!
    So, what about the 850MHz unlocked QWERTY Pre phones on ebay?
    I bought a QWERTZ pre on ebay direct from Germany. But while I was looking I noticed there were quite a few GSM Pres advertised, using big photos of Pres with QWERTY keyboards, but the fine text said they were QWERTZ... watch out!

For my part, I am quite happy with the QWERTZ keyboard. Especially since I use the name "azza" in many other parts of my life as well. Fortunately the Y-Z key change is the only difference from a standard US keyboard. It would be a nightmare if it was a real German keyboard, which has a lot of other differences.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    allan, i have heard that a non-next g handset will simply roam onto hutchison 3. would this not be a good enough solution?

I know you would if you could, but I gotta say it anyway... just dump telstra! (sorry :P)