1.    #1  
    Hey everybody, I am going to be purchasing a pre this month, as I have been waiting to become eligible for the upgrade discounts so that I can get rid of my Samsung Instinct(big mistake there). I came across this site a week or 2 ago, and love all the info you guys have about the pre. I do have a few questions though.

1. Does anybody know if the pre will have another price drop soon? I know this would be a hard question to answer, but if there are rumors of a price drop for black friday or something, I might just hold off until then.

2. I have a macbook, and I refuse to get a google account. I have MobileMe, and I love the fact that it can sync my contacts, calendars, bookmarks, etc. with my other computers, but what would be the best option to allow me to sync with my mac or MobileMe?

3. I have been a long time palm user. I've been through a palm III, m100, m130, Zire 71, Zire 72, and a LifeDrive. Is the classic app worth the price? Is it compatible with most classic apps(including ones developed privately, and not by big businesses)? And what about apps that use hardkey buttons?

4. Is there a file browser for the pre? Or is there a way that I can save files on the phone regardless of filetypes? Like, If I need to download a .exe file to update firefox at school, and the school proxy blocks .exe files, can I download it via 3G, save it to the pre, and then bluetooth it or transfer it via USB to the computer?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Not a Mac user, but a couple of thoughts ...

2. Why do you "refuse" to get a Google account? I believe there are a couple of 3rd party sync solutions for Mac (search for "Missing Sync"). But I believe you could probably use Google (for free) as conduit for exporting your contacts(CSV) and calendars(ICAL)? Haven't heard of any support for MobileMe ... and Palm and Apple aren't exactly best buds right now

3. I bought Classic when I first got my Pre, but mainly for a few games (when there were none for WebOS) and eReader. It works pretty well, but now I don't use it much and I'm not so sure I'd spend the money. WebOS is not PalmOS ... and I think you're better off starting clean (as much as possible).

4. The supplied Pre apps are pretty picky about what you can download. But I believe the Homebrew app FileCoaster will let you do this.
    1. If you would like to get the Pre at a lower price, then it really can't hurt waiting to see what sales, if any, Sprint will have for Black Friday. You may or may not get lucky.

2. Synergy is very tightly built around having a Google Account (Mail, Contacts, Calendars, etc). I could be wrong, but it seems currently you will be very limited on taking full advantage of all the synergy goodness without "going Google". Why such a disdain?

3. Never bought classic, never will. (Sorry not helpful, but I was never a Palm OS user)

4. The Pre can attach to any PC in USB Drive mode, which mounts the user accessible storage volume as an external drive. You can save any file of any type you want just like its any other removable USB drive.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    2. Why do you "refuse" to get a Google account? I believe there are a couple of 3rd party sync solutions for Mac (search for "Missing Sync"). But I believe you could probably use Google (for free) as conduit for exporting your contacts(CSV) and calendars(ICAL)? Haven't heard of any support for MobileMe ... and Palm and Apple aren't exactly best buds right now
    The main reason I don't want a google account is that MobileMe(Apple) has been doing an excellent job at syncing all of my computers, and having 2 services syncing the same info to the same computers sounds like it can only lead to trouble, like double contacts, etc. Nothing against Google, I'm sure it works fine, I just don't want 2 services controlling my information.

3. I bought Classic when I first got my Pre, but mainly for a few games (when there were none for WebOS) and eReader. It works pretty well, but now I don't use it much and I'm not so sure I'd spend the money. WebOS is not PalmOS ... and I think you're better off starting clean (as much as possible).
    Thats a good idea, I guess I should hold off on Classic, and not even bother with the trial until I know for sure I can't be without it. I was mainly going to use it for the Midway Arcade Classics pack, and a handful of other gems I found while rummaging through freewarepalm.com(if it is still there), especially some of the more classic palm games. I was also going to use it for NetStumbler(wifi sniffer) but seeing that the pre is linux based, I could eventually find a way to run Kismet on it instead.

Not a Mac user, but a couple of thoughts ...

4. The supplied Pre apps are pretty picky about what you can download. But I believe the Homebrew app FileCoaster will let you do this.
    Thanks! I will be sure to try it out, as I know I already won't be satisfied with Palm's limited(but growing) catalog.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I use Spanning Sync to sync my Mac to my gmail account, MobileMe to sync between my Macs and my iphone, google sync on my work computer, and sync my Android phones and my Pre OTA with my gmail account. Never gotten a duplicate (though my calendar may appear duplicated if I don't remember to not display the copy of my work calendar that's sync'ed with my gmail account).
    As a mac user, I use the Missing Sync and it's great. However, it may be possible to get your mobileme EMAIL and contacts, but not calendar.

You can add any email account, either IMAP or POP3, and the contacts will be added to your Pre automatically. However, I am not sure that you can use the calendar account the same way.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    no file browser for pre....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    walmart did have it for $79.....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    classic could be much cheaper.....it cost so much cause there is no other app like it....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    precentral has the pre for 109 with instant rebates !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->