Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Hey guys,

I got a palm pre off of my friend and tried to put it on my account.

The problem I'm having is that it keeps saying, "Provisioning Failure" or "Sorry, we are unable to provision your handset at the moment. Please try again later or contact customer service for assistance"

The weird thing is that, I was able to sign into my Palm Profile, and even access the App Catalogue (except the pictures of the apps won't load) and even download the apps. Except none of the apps can access data and the web browser, all results in the "Sorry, we are unable to provision..."

The voice part is working. And I have done full reset a couple times already and I tried to switch online the ESN between my old phone and new phone a couple of time to see if there's a glitch or something.

The Bell technical support was useless and said they will get back to me 72 hours or something. Meanwhile, I am paying for data package and not being able to use it.

Anyone else have this problem on Bell Mobility for the Palm Pre?

Thanks a bunch!
    Hey...did you have any luck figuring this out? I just got my Bell Palm Pre on Tuesday, yes three days ago, and it is giving me the same "Provisioning" error? I contacted Bell and they were of no use.....what a great way to start off a relationship with them...ha....anyways...if you figured it out could you let me know....cheers...
    so after two hours on the phone with Bell tonight they couldn't figure it out.....they asked for my Palm profile information so that they could try my account on a tester model and everything worked just fine.....they then had me do a quick test and there were issues with the phone so they told me to take it in to the bell store and they will replace the phone.......they had me do the quick test and it reported at code 25-wi-fi issue....
    that's weird, man.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Sorry for the thread necromancy, but this came up first in my Google search, and I felt like adding my experience. I too am getting this error when I use my Bell data connection. When I'm on wi-fi, everything works flawlessly.

I bought a Palm Pre second-hand just over a week ago, to replace my HTC Touch (sorry WinMo, you're a powerful OS but you're so very, very ugly). The previous owner didn't wipe the Pre very effectively, so I webOS Doctored it (Bell 1.3.5.1, which I believe I found on this site). For brevity, I'll list the steps I took to get the phone from a clean slate to a working state:

• Applied webOS Doctor. It worked successfully.
    • The phone demanded a Palm Profile, but it hadn't been activated yet, so I had a useless Pre.
    • I finally found the time to visit a Bell Store, where I quickly got my plan switched over from the HTC. So long, $7/mo unlimited Internet, hello smartphone data plan gouging.
    • I made a phone call from the parking lot, and all was well.

I forget if I tested the data at that point, so I can't say whether it was working from the start. The next day I only used the Pre while wi-fi was available. Yesterday, though, I was on the bus, and the web browser gave me this message -- a single line of black text on a white background:

Sorry, we are unable to provision your handset at this moment. Please try again later, or contact customer care for assistance.

The title of the page is "Provisioning Failure". This page has no URL (so it seems I'm not being redirected to a generic error page, this is in the web browser itself).

Interestingly, Google Maps gives the exact same error (after the "splash screen" with the Google Maps logo comes up and goes away). I guess that makes sense, it's just running within a browser on top of webOS.

Here are the steps I took at that point:

• Googled the error. Found this thread, and pretty much nothing else.
    • I ran the Quick Test. I got the wi-fi error, code 25.
    • That made no sense, since wi-fi was working perfectly for me. I shut down the phone for a battery pull, ran the Quick Test again, and got a perfect result. Weird.
    • Went to palm.com to check my Palm Profile -- maybe it would have some info.
    • No, the Palm Profile info is useless. I did notice, however, that my security question had somehow switched itself to German, so I changed it back to an English question I could truthfully answer.

I felt like taking my chances on Bell tech support, so I gave them a call. It took 5-10 minutes to route me to the right department, but ultimately I spoke to a very friendly lady, and here's what we did:

• Didn't bother trying a phone reset yet again. 5 minutes saved right there.
    • This issue was definitely new to her, so she had to do some research while I was on hold. I've worked tech support before, this means she's getting stuff done and not just following a script or trying to wing it.
    • I'm not sure if she did something to my account from her end, but she had me go into the browser and clear the cache, then shut down the phone. After 30 seconds I started it up, and suddenly data was working perfectly.

All was well until this morning, when I got the error again. This was weird because data was working fine on the bus, but sometime later it stopped working. I tied clearing the cache again and resetting, but no dice. I called Bell again, and this time got a different rep. Here's what happened:

• Started with a shut down and battery pull. 5 minutes wasted. (Still, callers lie all the time, so I can't really fault him for asking)
    • He seemed concerned that I wasn't getting a 1xRTT connection ("1x" icon), and instead was getting EVDO ("Ev" icon). I've been under the impression EVDO is superior and desired, but I just rolled with it.
    • I went to Device Info, then "More Info", then under the menu, "Certificate Manager". It said, simply: "Your certificate list is empty." He was confounded. I clicked the "New" button in the bottom-left, and got "Your document list is empty." He was now distinctly confused.
    • Next I went to the Phone app, where I went into "Preferences". He wanted me to find an option called "Update Network" or something similar, but this doesn't exist. There's "Update PRL" (preferred roaming list), which gave me an error.
    • He wasn't quite clear on the fact I'd only had the phone active for three days. He seemed to suddenly have an idea, and he had me go into my Palm Profile (from the Backup settings app). He told me to change my security question. I popped up the list, and interestingly, the one I had chosen before was listed twice. I selected the second one and re-entered my answer.
    • Restarted the phone. Watched some grass grow.
    • Right off the bat, I received an e-mail. Success? I went to the web browser, pulled up a site. Success!

The rep's explanation was that the Palm Profile is so tightly integrated with the phone's operations, that if you make a change it can go screwy. Not very technical, but I can believe it.

Unfortunately, after hanging up, I tried some other pages, and they gave the provisioning error. I tried Google Maps; same error. FAIL.

So that's where I am now. Here's something interesting I've deduced: the web site that worked was my banking site, which uses HTTPS. Similarly, Gmail uses SSL. I tried https://www(dot)paypal(dot)com (I can't post links. :-P), and it works as well. I'll bet it's port 80 (HTTP) that has the problem.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Hey, I just tried some more things and have an update.

I went back into the Phone, then Properties, and clicked "Update PRL". This time it actually succeeded. The I went to Device Info->More Info, then Menu->Certificate Manager, and I now have:

mojofarm.mediaplex.com
    Verisign Class 3 Secure Server CA - G2

If I click the Add button, I still get "Your document list is empty."

I'm not sure if this came from the PRL, or if it came from visiting PayPal's site (since I had to approve an expired certificate... geez, PayPal). Still though, this doesn't help me with any HTTP sites -- same ol' provisioning error.

Can any Bell users verify what certificates they have?
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Just completed a webOS Doctor. Still get the provision error. Guess I get to call Bell again.

(Sorry for talking to myself, but right now this thread seems to be the only place this issue is discussed, so I intend to document my process and the solution for the benefit of others.)
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I guess this is my last post on this subject. The Bell tech support rep I just spoke to said I should have the Pre replaced. The provisioning error only happens to HTTP pages (not HTTPS), which seems to include the Google Maps app. Still, having done all the troubleshooting and research they seem to be capable of, there is no solution.

One interesting thing that still eludes me is the "Reset Network Settings" option which is supposed to be in the Preferences for the Phone app. I have neither that nor an option for "Network Type" (to select 2G/3G/Auto). I'm wondering if those options were removed in 1.3.5.1?

Anyways, Bell seems to have an abnormally long backorder for replacement Pres, so it's time to start the waiting game.
    I have a working Pre, and I don't have any certificates listed... Wish I could help you out more.
    Do you have the Private IP provisioning feature on your line? It looks like this on MyBell through bell.ca:

http ://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c147/Koss12343/privateIP.jpg
    (Take out the space in the above link)
    If you don't have that feature, have them add it to your account. The code for them to add is SIPPRV.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BBMacD View Post
    Do you have the Private IP provisioning feature on your line? It looks like this on MyBell through bell.ca:

http ://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c147/Koss12343/privateIP.jpg
    (Take out the space in the above link)
    If you don't have that feature, have them add it to your account. The code for them to add is SIPPRV.
    Good thinking... but I do indeed have that feature already.
    What other features do you have on that line?
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BBMacD View Post
    What other features do you have on that line?
    Here's a screenshot of my features: imgur(dot)com/pbJsQ.png
    So what exactly is the solution to this problem?

Would a full erase be able to fix the provisioning error?
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsr_106 View Post
    So what exactly is the solution to this problem?

Would a full erase be able to fix the provisioning error?
    No real solution yet. I'm still waiting for my replacement phone to arrive.

I've already run webOS Doctor (Bell 1.3.5.1) on the phone twice, and I'm pretty sure that's a definitive "wipe." One thing I've considered lately is to run the 1.3.5 doctor, and see if the problem exists before upgrading the phone over the air... but I'm also excited to get a shiny new phone. :-)
    Bell Palm Pre
    When Bell says "It's ON," I'm pretty sure they mean it as a threat.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Well, here's the conclusion to my issue. I received my replacement Pre yesterday, and I called Bell to activate it over the air today. I now get glorious HTTP over my data connection. I can actually use Google Maps when I'm outside of my house! :-)

Now to wait a month or so for Bell to release webOS 1.4.
    Bell Palm Pre
    When Bell says "It's ON," I'm pretty sure they mean it as a threat.