Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bought a new, sealed uk pre from a seller on ebay for 310 pounds. lol

he works for o2 apparently.

anyway, it's in the post now via DHL....can i get it unlocked at an o2 store? / should I ask the seller / or a rebel sim?

thanks
    Last edited by kyll05; 11/06/2009 at 11:40 AM.
    ....can i get it unlocked at an o2 store? / should I ask the seller / or a rebel sim?
    Currently the only option seems to be a rebel SIM (unless you want to use it on O2, of course).

There is hope that an IMEI unlock solution will emerge soon, but you almost certainly won't be able to get that from O2 or the seller (unless they are very friendly) - would be from a 3rd party supplier.

FWIW, I'm happily using a Rebel SIM with UK Vodafone with no issues, although I did need to borrow a friends contract O2 SIM for activation. With what I know now about setting the Rebel SIM mode (Mode 1 works for me) and clearing the network keys, that may not have been necessary and it may be possible to get away without an O2 sim at any point.

R
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by richiem View Post
    Currently the only option seems to be a rebel SIM (unless you want to use it on O2, of course).

There is hope that an IMEI unlock solution will emerge soon, but you almost certainly won't be able to get that from O2 or the seller (unless they are very friendly) - would be from a 3rd party supplier.

FWIW, I'm happily using a Rebel SIM with UK Vodafone with no issues, although I did need to borrow a friends contract O2 SIM for activation. With what I know now about setting the Rebel SIM mode (Mode 1 works for me) and clearing the network keys, that may not have been necessary and it may be possible to get away without an O2 sim at any point.

R
    thanks for the swift reply....I ve a question about activation - what does it actually do? does it send data to o2/palm using the hsdpa/EDGE connection? Im not in the UK at the moment, but I do have an old o2 sim card that doesn't work anymore...would it work?
    No it wouldn't work. You need a live data connection, and it can't be wifi. I believe you also need to be able to send an SMS messgae, but I'm not 100% sure about this. I activated mine using a friends o2 contract SIM, then started using the rebel sim with my t-mobile contract. I didn't have the rebelsim at time of activation.

Activation sets up an account of palm's servers for backup, settings and update purposes. the Pre won't do anything without a "Palm Profile"
    IMEI code unlocking should be available nearly everywhere towards the end of this week.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz View Post
    IMEI code unlocking should be available nearly everywhere towards the end of this week.
    Details? Do elaborate...?
    'End of this week' ? Today is Friday. So.... today?
    Sorry, I meant this coming week. More and more third-party unlocking services will get the proper authentication details for Pre's in the UK towards the end of the week and be able to unlock your phone from O2.
    Your inactive O2 SIM almost certainly won't work (never say never). However it is possible that you may be able to activate using the Rebel SIM and a non-O2`(but working), SIM from another carrier.

I understand that the way that the way you know whether activation will work or not is by the indicator displayed next to the signal strength bar - if it says "R" for "Roaming", you won't be able to activate, but "G" (GPRS) or "3G" will work.

When I first tried using my Rebel SIM + UK Vodafone SIM, I got the "R" symbol and was not able to activate. BUT, after I had activated using my friend's O2 SIM, I still got the "R" symbol with the Rebel SIM + UK Vodafone SIM, and only voice calls worked (no data).

I resolved this by using an old phone to change the mode of the Rebel SIM to mode 1, and clearing the network keys on my Vodafone SIM by inserting it in an old phone and selecting a different network (ie not Vodafone). This meant the phone showed "SOS Calls only" as it couldn't register with the network, but apparently this is how you "clear" the "network keys". After that it immediately showed "3G" on the Pre and worked perfectly since.

My point is, that if I had set the Rebel SIM mode, and cleared the network keys initially, I think I may have got the "3G" symbol and thus been able to activate using the Rebel SIM + Vodafone SIM. I cannot verify this, but I know that others have reported being able to activate using the Rebel SIM + (non-O2) SIM card, without ever using an O2 SIM at all.

Good luck!

Richie
    Sorry, I meant this coming week. More and more third-party unlocking services will get the proper authentication details for Pre's in the UK towards the end of the week and be able to unlock your phone from O2.
    Do you think this unlock would be on UK pres only or would it work on Irish ones also?

Gx
    What makes you think this?
  11.    #11  
    thanks so much for all the response guys and gals

Anyway, one more question - can I bypass activation like people can do with the sprint pre? does it make a difference if I skip activation?

Thankssss
  12.    #12  
    Another question: does anybody have a coupon code for the rebel sim except 'Rebel' which gives a 5% discount?

Many Thanks

My point is, that if I had set the Rebel SIM mode, and cleared the network keys initially, I think I may have got the "3G" symbol and thus been able to activate using the Rebel SIM + Vodafone SIM. I cannot verify this, but I know that others have reported being able to activate using the Rebel SIM + (non-O2) SIM card, without ever using an O2 SIM at all.

<snip>
    Richie,

That's some good info.

I'm currently trying to get an Irish 02 pre to work with a Vodafone and Rebel II SIM cards.
    I created the palm profile with the O2 prepay SIM, which was fine.
    When the Rebel and the Vodafone SIMs are installed, it ways SOS only. Any idea why it's not picking up a network?
    It says the same thing when just the vodafone SIM is installed on its own. No unlock screen is ever presented.

Cheers,
    Cian
    cian

I have an irish pre working with rebel and vodafone without a problem. Is your sim ok in another phone?

Gx
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    [OT]
    Presuming both you guys, Cian & Griffinx, are in the UK.
    Aren't you a bit screwed if your Irish Pre's fail/ need returning/break ? (considering O2 UK won't help).
    You'd need to somehow get it back it O2 Ireland..
    [/OT]
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    Do you think this unlock would be on UK pres only or would it work on Irish ones also?

Gx
    The Irish Pre's have come from the UK. Look at the sticker on the box where the IMEI is and you'll see "UK" on there instead of "IE", so i think it should work ya
    Quote Originally Posted by GromitTheDog2 View Post
    When the Rebel and the Vodafone SIMs are installed, it ways SOS only. Any idea why it's not picking up a network?
    It says the same thing when just the vodafone SIM is installed on its own. No unlock screen is ever presented.
    That's a really strange one, especially as you say the same happens with just the Vodafone SIM. Because the Pre is network locked to O2, inserting any other SIM should give you a prompt to enter an unlock code (which no-once seems to be able to generate yet). I certainly got that when I tried mine with just a Vodafone SIM (which I did purely for completeness, really, without any expectation that it would work).

The fact that you're not being asked for an unlock code with just the Vodafone SIM, and getting "SOS only" even with the rebel as well, suggests that the Pre isn't recognising the Vodafone SIM as even being there at all. Do you have another phone you can try the Vodafone SIM in to see if it works? And could you borrow another, non O2, known working, SIM to try in the Pre with the Rebel?

Apart from a dodgy Vodafone SIM, afraid I don't know what to suggest (assuming that you are somewhere where you know there is Vodafone coverage, of course!)

Richie
    Do you have another phone you can try the Vodafone SIM in to see if it works? And could you borrow another, non O2, known working, SIM to try in the Pre with the Rebel?

<snip>
    Yeah, it is weird I never get the unlock screen.

The Vodafone SIM works fine in an unlocked Nokia.

Some weird things:
    The O2 prepay SIM and the rebel in the Pre, works, but it thinks its roaming.
    The Vodafone SIM and the rebel in the Nokia doesn't work at all.

I'm in Ireland, with irish SIM cards. The Rebel came from the UK, if that might have made a difference.

Think there might be a combination of things going on. I'll try a few more SIM cards out in the pre and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    [OT]
    Presuming both you guys, Cian & Griffinx, are in the UK.
    Aren't you a bit screwed if your Irish Pre's fail/ need returning/break ? (considering O2 UK won't help).
    You'd need to somehow get it back it O2 Ireland..
    [/OT]
    Nope Im in the republic of Ireland with a working Pre on Meteor with Rebel no probs.

Gx
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    Nope Im in the republic of Ireland with a working Pre on Meteor with Rebel no probs.

Gx
    I'm in the republic too, now with a working Pre on Vodafone with Rebel!

I suspect that the Vodafone SIM wasn't seating correctly against the Rebel.
    Using a Nokia, I changed the Rebel to Mode 3 and was then able to manualy select Vodafone on the Pre.
    Everything is now working on the Pre: MMS, voice, 3G

:-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast