Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Ok b4 you begin bashing me, I know how delete a standard text message. My problem is that I have "hidden" texts that are weeks and even months old that are mysteriously storing themselves somewhere on my pre's memory (this has to have an effect on speed or something but whatever!) The problem is that sometimes when I delete messages they appear to delete and do not show up in the "conversations tab" in the messaging apps homescreen, but they do show up if I search a persons name by their first initial (you should try it) well once I find the "hidden" text by using the first letter in a persons name search, I delete it only to have it reappear immediately. I really want to delete these asap so if you can help Id appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    If you didnt feel like reading the details above, in short how do I delete texts that magically re appear after they have been deleted already?
    no idea....sorry
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    OMG! The same thing happened to me....I tried everything rebooting the phone, etc. You have to delete your contact from your phone and then add it back in. Hope this helps you, it is a real pain and now I am scared to delete my month long thread with some of my main friends for fear this will keep happening.
    Does your phone reset or have any problems in between?

Not on the Pre but my iPhone when it resets for some problem the last batch of sms and emails reappear again for some reason.
    EVERYONE: DO NOT TRY TO DELETE YOUR TEXT MESSAGES!!!!

there are a few solutions out there.

1) do a partial erase. this can be done under "device info icon" than reset options. you will loose your apps but you can get them back (if you don't have any old homebrew that are no longer avaliable.) this is Palms solution.

2) unsync your facebook account under contacts and resync it. you may also have to unsync them person by person and resync them. see which works best for you.

3) find the hidden texts. open it and delete them line by line. i spent 2 days doing this to my GF text that were 3 months worth.

I have done #2 and #3 and still some some of my contacts are messed up. if someone text me and that person is still hidden if i happen to swipe away the preview too fast than I don't know who it was that text me.

to me it seem like they are not on my phone but on the cloud somewhere after i swiped them away. it took much more time and sometimes froze my phone to go back and look at them. i deleted each person line by line. than it was mostly back to normal.
    Last edited by drewjohn; 11/06/2009 at 01:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    EVERYONE: DON'T NOT TRY TO DELETE YOUR TEXT MESSAGES!!!!
    Don't Not try to delete your texts? So, DO try to delete your texts?
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Unlink contact
    delete message thread
    relink contact
    check if it still exists
    delete message thread

This worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by leez View Post
    Don't Not try to delete your texts? So, DO try to delete your texts?
    yeah do it!
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    Unlink contact
    delete message thread
    relink contact
    check if it still exists
    delete message thread

This worked for me.
    OK I will try this method first since it seems the easiest and fasted and let you all know if it works, then I will try the others if this should not work out.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    EVERYONE: DO NOT TRY TO DELETE YOUR TEXT MESSAGES!!!!

there are a few solutions out there.

1) do a partial erase. this can be done under "device info icon" than reset options. you will loose your apps but you can get them back (if you don't have any old homebrew that are no longer avaliable.) this is Palms solution.

2) unsync your facebook account under contacts and resync it. you may also have to unsync them person by person and resync them. see which works best for you.

3) find the hidden texts. open it and delete them line by line. i spent 2 days doing this to my GF text that were 3 months worth.

I have done #2 and #3 and still some some of my contacts are messed up. if someone text me and that person is still hidden if i happen to swipe away the preview too fast than I don't know who it was that text me.

to me it seem like they are not on my phone but on the cloud somewhere after i swiped them away. it took much more time and sometimes froze my phone to go back and look at them. i deleted each person line by line. than it was mostly back to normal.
    Ok so I am trying method 3 and it seems to be working (althought its taking forever to do) if in fact these messages are not on the pre and are on the cloud somewhere it still has to slow the messaging app to say the least if not messing with internal memory to slow up the phone. The sad part is the IM conversations are taking for ever to delete line by line *Sigh* if only there were a patch for that...
  12. Pun
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Yea this is kind of ridiculous...definately needs to be fixed in the next update, this is unacceptable that I got a converstion dating back months and i gotta swipe them all away or lose all my apps and have to re-download them. Terrible options to have
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I don't have this problem. When in the chats/messaging homescreen, when I search using the first letter of a contact that I have previously texted and deleted the convo, it shows "0". So mine seems to be working just fine.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chichi View Post
    OK I will try this method first since it seems the easiest and fasted and let you all know if it works, then I will try the others if this should not work out.
    Link the contact that isn't showing up in Messaging to a completely random contact. Now unlink them. Magically your conversation will appear again.
    Last edited by blz2; 11/18/2009 at 10:47 AM.
    i had this problem.. sprint did a partial erase.. and it fixed it.. havent had a problem since.. i think it comes from when you delete the group of messages.. and are deleting others at the same time.. they somehow link themselves..
    THIS IS ********!!
    Messages are not deleted when you deleted. They still exist in the database: /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3
    (more info: PalmDatabase.db3 File - WebOS Internals)

I "deleted" all my threads on the pre, and the database is still holding ~3600~ texts.

So that's why the messages are still there but hidden when you delete them. They're supposed to be gone but something fails to delete them.

Unacceptable. Specially considering how slow the messaging app gets as you get more and more texts.
    Last edited by freezefire; 11/18/2009 at 07:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freezefire View Post
    THIS IS ********!!
    Messages are not deleted when you deleted. They still exist in the database: /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3

I "deleted" all my threads on the pre, and the database is still holding ~3600~ texts.

So that's why the messages are still there but hidden when you delete them. They're supposed to be gone but something fails to delete them.

Unacceptable. Specially considering how slow the messaging app gets as you get more and more texts.
    +1

There has got to be a patch for that? Or one is needed.. I need my pre to run faster and its very bogged down! I noticed this probably is the same issue for emails as well..
    Quote Originally Posted by freezefire View Post
    THIS IS ********!!

What version of webOS are you running?
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    You swipe the unwanted text message off of the screen to the right and a "delete" button will appear for you to confirm you want to delete the text message. I have only tried this for entire threads of text messages to one contact and I know that it works for deleting the texts from the phone. I haven't tried to delete single text messages from a conversation. I do know that you DO NOT have to delete and the entire contact and add them back. I hope this helps!
    You swipe the unwanted text message off of the screen to the right and a "delete" button will appear for you to confirm you want to delete the text message. I have only tried this for entire threads of text messages to one contact and I know that it works for deleting the texts from the phone. I haven't tried to delete single text messages from a conversation. I do know that you DO NOT have to delete and the entire contact and add them back. I hope this helps!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast