Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With more games in the app catalog that I like(which is the main thing I use my phone for besides web browser/twitter, and other features the phone already does), I find I don't have much installed from the homebrew section. I didn't even install FileCoaster or PreWare on my newly replaced Pre. All I installed from homebrew was Blocked and ToppleBall. I did do some patching, virtual keyboard, etc, but that's kind of a do it once type thing. Anyone else in the same boat?
    Preware is a must for me...simplistic and ***** proof install of patches and apps. I only use few patches and homebrew apps but I don't know how I could live without them now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    With more games in the app catalog that I like(which is the main thing I use my phone for besides web browser/twitter, and other features the phone already does), I find I don't have much installed from the homebrew section. I didn't even install FileCoaster or PreWare on my newly replaced Pre. All I installed from homebrew was Blocked and ToppleBall. I did do some patching, virtual keyboard, etc, but that's kind of a do it once type thing. Anyone else in the same boat?
    Never ever will abandon homebrew.

The homebrew patches make it worth it.. always will.
    Nope, sorry, not me. For me homebrew still rocks! You're right that the app catalog is getting pleasantly plumper, but I think there is still a place for homebrew apps.
    No way.
    Nope.. it's a great way to preview and test applications before they are released to the App store. Preware also is great for the tweaks if you don't have WebOS Quick install tool. I can't live without some of the tweaks!
    as long as home brew has free (and donations for the good stuff I use) apps, I'll look there for my app's.
    Homebrew is key for my Pre. One of the reasons I love my phone so much is because of all the great tweaks/hacks that have been developed by the gurus here.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    Nope.. it's a great way to preview and test applications before they are released to the App store. Preware also is great for the tweaks if you don't have WebOS Quick install tool. I can't live without some of the tweaks!
    Theres just not much there for me anymore. Most of the apps don't do anything I'm interested in. The patches are nice, I use them quite a bit, but WebOS Quick Install does everything I need, so I don't need an app installed on the phone to achieve that...

I spent the first couple days with my new Pre without any homebrew, and I didn't miss anything but 4x4 icons and virtual keyboard.
    I got hit with the update bug a couple of days ago (where it forced me to re-update to 1.2.1), and I lost all of my patches -- my Pre felt naked Took about 10 minutes, but I got it back to the way I like it again, thanks to Preware.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Well everyone has different requirements as I am sure you are well aware. I had filecoaster installed when I first got my pre but after the 1.2 update I never installed it again. I have never used Preware. I only use Quickinstall for my patches/tweaks and instal of homebrew apps. I have a number of Homebrew and a couple app catalog applications installed.
    I had made a similiar type of comment on a different thread... that over time people will not need homebrew. but in that other thread i said that eventually palm will start locking them out and not need them.

i guess it's the same with iphone. there is still that strong community that uses other software... but for the masses it's not needed anymore and not worth the hassle when you can just click the app store button. also there are not many bugs left that havent been fixed by apple.

homebrew has a purpose... palm was not finished and while they do their own thing they unoffically support homebrew and cheer them on so that they can continue on their work while people get patches and apps through them to entertain them... a little different than apple cause they never really liked them but having them did bring realization of what the iphone could be and has been.

without homebrew community, if people sitting on their hands waiting on palm after all these months? you would have a ton of upset people.

once palm ever gets everything working and app store rocking, they wont need them and they will 'accidentally' lock them out. they dont need apps competing with their app store. they dont need new fixes possibly crashing their os once they have it the way they want and be blame for crashes and have to be "homebrew" friendly in everything they do.

Abandon Homebrew? You're kidding, right? Most of apps I depend on daily are either homebrew or homebrew graduates, and most of the apps on the horizon that I'm interested in are coming up through beta as homebrew.

Examples: Scientific RPN calculator, Stopwatch/Timer, PalmReader, drPodder, gDial Pro, FlashLight!.

Notable exceptions I depend on that originated in the app catalog: Evernote, SplashData

I rarely use games, but my impression (maybe wrong?) is that most of the ones in the app catalog started as homebrew, and that the pipeline for new games still starts in homebrew too.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Abandon Homebrew? You're kidding, right? Most of apps I depend on daily are either homebrew or homebrew graduates, and most of the apps on the horizon that I'm interested in are coming up through beta as homebrew.

Examples: Scientific RPN calculator, Stopwatch/Timer, PalmReader, drPodder, gDial Pro, FlashLight!.

Notable exceptions I depend on that originated in the app catalog: Evernote, SplashData

I rarely use games, but my impression (maybe wrong?) is that most of the ones in the app catalog started as homebrew, and that the pipeline for new games still starts in homebrew too.
    The games I have installed were never homebrew games. Though if you want to be technical, everything was homebrew until it made it to the App Catalog.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Thank goodness for Preware I can tweak my Pre, customize with themes, endless appz. Personally if not for Preware I would have returned my Pre long time ago...
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    The games I have installed were never homebrew games. Though if you want to be technical, everything was homebrew until it made it to the App Catalog.
    Really?

All I installed from homebrew was Blocked and ToppleBall.

Is toppleball even in the app catalog yet? Anyway, both were homebrew. Technical or not, most devs are using homebrew as a beta/debug. Call it what you will, it's still homebrew.
    Slightly off-topic, I've been very unimpressed with the games. I understand it's mostly a result of developers only being given limited access to the phone's true power, but it's still disappointing. The only games I keep on the phone are the Hangman and Topple Ball games, and then only because they provide some OK poo-time entertainment.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Really?

Is toppleball even in the app catalog yet? Anyway, both were homebrew. Technical or not, most devs are using homebrew as a beta/debug. Call it what you will, it's still homebrew.
    Maybe I should have said the games I have installed from the App Catalog? I thought that was implied since my response was to your comment about the App Catalog.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Maybe I should have said the games I have installed from the App Catalog? I thought that was implied since my response was to your comment about the App Catalog.
    I didn't see any reply from you towards me. You qouted someone else. That said, anything implied was removed teh moment you said "were never".
    Are you serious? In a world where the Pre is limited on apps you can buy/download from the "store", how could I not use homebrew?
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast