Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I'm a huge linux geek at heart. Neckbeard, rah rah open source, the whole deal.

I certainly will never be shying away from homebrew on the device because I feel a strong FOSS community (such as webos-internals and the countless open work they have provided) will help content generators, developers and users alike.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    I didn't see any reply from you towards me. You qouted someone else. That said, anything implied was removed teh moment you said "were never".
    Wow. Seriously? You think my comment was invalidated because I used "were never"? The App Catalog games I have installed are Classic Solitaire, Zombie Invasion, Solitaire Alley, and Air Hockey. Could you be any more obtuse? I'd imagine you could be.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    can't be serious. how can anyone "abandon" homebrew? you might as well call the whole precentral site homebrew. just because. so if you're using this site, you haven't abandoned homebrew. how bout you just say you've began to use it less. with all the talk of will palm/webos be this.. will it be that? who's gonna stay, who's gonna leave.. and the responses to these topics.. you should know better than to put a word like "abandon" in your topic. you're just asking for a tongue lashing! pre fans do not like the word abandon! or any synonym of the word! lol.. close this thread please.
    I only recently took the "homebrew dive", but now I can't imagine living without it. haha

I love being able to check out the apps before they go to the official catalog... as well as having those apps that will NEVER be in the official catalog (I'm looking at you MyTether!). I would estimate that aprox. half of my currently installed apps are homebrew, and several of the other ones that I got from the catalog started in homebrew for beta/testing.
    I use Preware but mostly for the tweaks and not many apps. I think Dopewars is the only one and that is mostly for nostalgia. I played this in DOS before there even was windows. Might be the first game I ever played.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    can't be serious. how can anyone "abandon" homebrew? you might as well call the whole precentral site homebrew. just because. so if you're using this site, you haven't abandoned homebrew. how bout you just say you've began to use it less. with all the talk of will palm/webos be this.. will it be that? who's gonna stay, who's gonna leave.. and the responses to these topics.. you should know better than to put a word like "abandon" in your topic. you're just asking for a tongue lashing! pre fans do not like the word abandon! or any synonym of the word! lol.. close this thread please.
    Basically abandoned doesn't mean "began to use it less"? Is semantics truly all you care about in this discussion? How about instead of closing this thread, the mods delete your post? It didn't further the discussion, it just argued semantics.
    Dear OP, you said you do not need homebrew yet you admit to using the tweaks.

Check your logic
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by kaitou kid View Post
    Dear OP, you said you do not need homebrew yet you admit to using the tweaks.

Check your logic
    I don't liken patches to homebrew, homebrew has always been apps to me. Sorry that my logic doesn't match yours. Another person arguing semantics instead of actually contributing to the thread.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Wow. Seriously? You think my comment was invalidated because I used "were never"? The App Catalog games I have installed are Classic Solitaire, Zombie Invasion, Solitaire Alley, and Air Hockey. Could you be any more obtuse? I'd imagine you could be.
    Fair enough. Let me rephrase than. By stating "The games I have installed were never homebrew games." but previously admitting to installing two specific games that started out in homebrew, one of which has yet to graduate to the catalog yet, takes away anything you thought you implied about.

Lets just chalk it up to bad example on your part? I can agree to disagree.
    With more games in the app catalog that I like(which is the main thing I use my phone for besides web browser/twitter, and other features the phone already does), I find I don't have much installed from the homebrew section. I didn't even install FileCoaster or PreWare on my newly replaced Pre. All I installed from homebrew was Blocked and ToppleBall. I did do some patching, virtual keyboard, etc, but that's kind of a do it once type thing. Anyone else in the same boat?
    Not me. I still use Agenda to check my calendar, and Quick Event to update it. Don't think I 'd do well without either of those.

Switcharoo still changes my background every 5 minutes.

Actually, as I sit here and think about what I use out of HomeBrew, it occurs to me that the it's just a normal part of what I do, I can't remember for sure what is and isn't HomeBrew.

I think with the current state of the SDK, the HomeBrew apps will continue to have apps that are a little more cutting edge, while the Apps Catalog will typically be more polished.

Slightly off-topic, but I thought you switched phone devices.
    Homebrew IS home. That's where it all started. Never forget about homebrew!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Not me. I still use Agenda to check my calendar, and Quick Event to update it. Don't think I 'd do well without either of those.

Switcharoo still changes my background every 5 minutes.

Actually, as I sit here and think about what I use out of HomeBrew, it occurs to me that the it's just a normal part of what I do, I can't remember for sure what is and isn't HomeBrew.

I think with the current state of the SDK, the HomeBrew apps will continue to have apps that are a little more cutting edge, while the Apps Catalog will typically be more polished.

Slightly off-topic, but I thought you switched phone devices.
    Haven't switched yet, phone hasn't sold. Only thing I have on my calendar is the Dallas Stars games, and I set those up through Google Calendars I don't use my phone for anything business relates, so I don't really have much of a need for the calendar.
    Wow. Seriously? You think my comment was invalidated because I used "were never"?
    I decided his invalidation was invalidated the moment he incorrectly spelled "the" (teh).
    Haven't switched yet, phone hasn't sold. Only thing I have on my calendar is the Dallas Stars games, and I set those up through Google Calendars I don't use my phone for anything business relates, so I don't really have much of a need for the calendar.
    Ahhh, but here you be, reminiscing about HomeBrew and tweeks... Sounds to me kinda like college days when guys "brook up" with their girl, but kept going out occasionally as "friends"....

In other words, you're doing a Pre bootycall.

without us homebrew testers, those app catalog apps of yours would a.) not exist, or b.) be so buggy, they wouldn't be half as enjoyable. Think about how those apps got to be so "polished"?
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Ahhh, but here you be, reminiscing about HomeBrew and tweeks... Sounds to me kinda like college days when guys "brook up" with their girl, but kept going out occasionally as "friends"....

In other words, you're doing a Pre bootycall.

Well, I'm stuck with it until I can sell it or save up 500 bucks, so might as well try to enjoy it
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstardjal View Post
    without us homebrew testers, those app catalog apps of yours would a.) not exist, or b.) be so buggy, they wouldn't be half as enjoyable. Think about how those apps got to be so "polished"?
    There are plenty of good App Catalog apps that were never in the homebrew section. Homebrew may have helped some developers, but not all required it.
    Well, I'm stuck with it until I can sell it or save up 500 bucks, so might as well try to enjoy it
    Funny. I had a friend in college that said exactly that...
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Abandon Homebrew? That's crazy talk.
    Sorry, if you're using tweaks it's homebrew. If it doesn't come from Palm and it's not stock it's homebrew and it's not semantics either.

I can't imagine not using homebrew. I like Preware instead of using WebOS Quickinstall because I tend to do things on the go. Don't get me wrong, I love WebOS and still use it, but prefer Preware.

If it weren't for Homebrew I never would have gotten a Pre and wouldn't keep it if it no longer existed.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast