Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Enough is enough! From day one, Palm has avoided the question and hid the sales figures of their flagship device. At this point, I am suspecting I missed something as no publicly traded company could possibly get away with hiding their numbers for so long.

This need not be a long, flaming thread. I just want a straight answer. How many Pres have been sold? What and when was the last known figure? Is anyone saying that it beat expectations? Have there ever been any publicly stated expectations? Inquiry minds want to know!
    my guess is 1.2 million
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    What is the need in knowing so bad? Just curious, maybe you know something I don't?
  4.    #4  
    General tech geekery. The absence of sales numbers in this completive environment is hard to miss, or ignore.
  5.    #5  
    Please explain your guess of 1.2 million.
    i guess it's just a guess out of thin air... because no one except sprint and palm really knows.

last quarter people guessing near 800,00 units sold since launch? so you figure they been selling in canada and started in the UK last month so you would hope it broke a million by now. 1.2 is a nice round number. and if they did give numbers, it wouldnt factor in returns and exhanges.

i will guess... over 1 million by now.

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Palm report the sale on all devices on about .8 million about a month and they said the majority of that came from the Pre. Since that Palm has launched all over the world creating a lot of buzz. 1.2 million is just a guess but i don't think i am far off
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    my guess is 1.2 million

Minus the ones that have been exchanged....hmmm 18
    Last edited by Boggs3010; 11/06/2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post
    Minus the one that have been exchanged....hmmm 18
    Still on my first Pre 6/16/09
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i guess it's just a guess out of thin air... because no one except sprint and palm really knows.

last quarter people guessing near 800,00 units sold since launch? so you figure they been selling in canada and started in the UK last month so you would hope it broke a million by now. 1.2 is a nice round number. and if they did give numbers, it wouldnt factor in returns and exhanges.

i will guess... over 1 million by now.
    Why leave us guessing? Unless the numbers are worse than people are guessing, wouldn't it be better just to get the numbers out there?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I would guess that silence is not a good thing.
    Why leave us guessing? Unless the numbers are worse than people are guessing, wouldn't it be better just to get the numbers out there?
    Eh... financial analysts, investors... they may care about the numbers and maybe better not to mention it. they were close to bankrupt. they are not out of the woods yet so no need to be exact. also consumers could also take it as a weak product... they had high expectations of being the next iphone and a million would be a weak number. also like people wary of buying a gm when they went bankrupt people may wonder if they will be left holding a phone with no further developement. quite a few reasons i guess.
    Has Palm EVER given precise sales numbers on a handset? I don't think they have. If I'm wrong, that's cool, but based on all of the information I've seen, they just never have reported any type of handset sales numbers for any particular phone.
    i have heard that too. but if they were selling millions... you'd hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Has Palm EVER given precise sales numbers on a handset? I don't think they have. If I'm wrong, that's cool, but based on all of the information I've seen, they just never have reported any type of handset sales numbers for any particular phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    What is the need in knowing so bad? Just curious, maybe you know something I don't?
    I'd love to know for estimations of market size for paid apps.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    That's another reason too. dont wanna discourage/delay developers. like skype... playing a "wait and see" on how webos develops... meaning how many users.

Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i have heard that too. but if they were selling millions... you'd hear about it.
    You must remember that from the very beginning the Pre has been compared to a certain fruit phone, which has been out for years.

So when the other sells millions (worldwide BTW) and the Pre sells less than a million (USA only) its numbers are dwarfed.

For a first gen totally new OS and Technology phone. Would you really expect it to sell millions right away. Or would you think some people may wait to see how the phone really does and not be an early adopter.

It has only been on the market for 5 months.
    BB Storm was hyped to be an iphone killer and it sold over a million in a quarter I believe. So there are markers people are using to watch and gauge Pre's success. I didnt expect iPhone numbers either but I did at least use the BB in the back of my mind of what I felt should be the minmum.

I forget how many 2G iPhones were sold in first quarter. That would be a good gauge too.

Quote Originally Posted by rfceo View Post
    You must remember that from the very beginning the Pre has been compared to a certain fruit phone, which has been out for years.

So when the other sells millions (worldwide BTW) and the Pre sells less than a million (USA only) its numbers are dwarfed.

For a first gen totally new OS and Technology phone. Would you really expect it to sell millions right away. Or would you think some people may wait to see how the phone really does and not be an early adopter.

It has only been on the market for 5 months.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rfceo View Post
    When that certain fruit phone that Palm compared their phone to first came out, that fruit company released sales figures right away and each time thereafter. They also had publicly stated goals. I don't see your point.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I guess that makes sence from a delvelopers point of view.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast