1.    #1  
    So now having used it long enough to comment, here are the things I've found lacking and hope are dealt with soon:

- unreliable google calendar and contacts sync. Contact sync brings down everything, not just 'my contacts'. Everyone using google contacts knows the problem with that. Calendars have all kinds of different issues, the worst being disappearing entries, and shared calendars never updating properly. There's ways around some of those, but it should be right out of the box. Palm is advertising this phone on it's synergy syncing. They damn well need to have that right.

- wonky imap and smtp auth support. I still have weirdness of things deleted on the phone being simply flagged on my courier server in my other clients. This is with enhanced idle running. For smtp sending, I can't get it to work with sendmail auth on my servers at all. Every other client (including microsoft outlook) works just fine with my servers. One thing the client violates is greet pause. It will start sending data before the server issues a welcome. That aside, it never issues a command and then just disconnects when doing the initial set-up, so the smtp send never works.

- interface lag. Really noticeable when bringing up phone settings, for example. Frustrating as you can see the menu on the minimized app off to the side animate up. Why spend the resources on that instead of bringing up the settings I'm interested in?

- PDF reader. Why doesn't it let me browse by folders, and instead just scans the entire device for PDFs, and throws them in a big honkin' list (not so cool when you have several books that are ch01.pdf, ch02.pdf, etc) This makes what could have been a nice portable document repository useless.

- Photos: there should be a built in slide show option. This isn't that big a deal, but annoying.

Otherwise, I'm totally in love with this phone. Having access to linux underneath is great, and I'm having fun exploring and tweaking things to suit my needs.
    the palm pre has the BEST (along with chatteremail on the treos) email client in the market in my opinion.

FULL IMAP IDLE support on this phone.

even the new DROID being released today cannot do full IMAP IDLE on different email carriers (only gmail)
    thanks OP! I truly needed that
    >- wonky imap and smtp auth support. I still have weirdness of things deleted on the phone being simply flagged on my courier server in my other clients. This is with enhanced idle running. For smtp sending, I can't get it to work with sendmail auth on my servers at all.

I'm suffering from the same problem. ESMTP authorization does not work. I also see times where my Pre just decides to synch mail on its own despite being set up for "manual" synch. On my Treo 700p with the exact same config it works fine. I also have an EAS account configured on the Pre but it works fine.

But regardless, I really do like the device. Great UI, etc.
    Ive noticed some issues with the google calendar not syncing but thinking it is a syntanx issue with using certain punctuations in the calendar titles and entries. Once I removed them all the sudden the calendar started to sync again. Prolly expect some kinda of update for this.

For SMTP and lag issues, switch to wifi and notice a change??
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelW View Post
    >- wonky imap and smtp auth support. I still have weirdness of things deleted on the phone being simply flagged on my courier server in my other clients. This is with enhanced idle running. For smtp sending, I can't get it to work with sendmail auth on my servers at all.

I'm suffering from the same problem. ESMTP authorization does not work. I also see times where my Pre just decides to synch mail on its own despite being set up for "manual" synch. On my Treo 700p with the exact same config it works fine. I also have an EAS account configured on the Pre but it works fine.

But regardless, I really do like the device. Great UI, etc.
    Yeah. The mail app is seriously borked. Not only does SMTP not work properly (auth'd or not), but also IMAP implementation is wrong. Even if I set the pre up for 'as items arrive' (ie, imap idle), the Pre will connect, check just an inbox, and disconnect. The behaviour SHOULD be to remain connected. Argh. Then there's the whole only checking/notifying on inbox thing. What's the point of specifying 'favorite' folders if the damned thing never checks them???

A typical imap session:
    Nov 7 10:23:00 freefall imapd-ssl: Connection, ip=[::ffff:172.23.34.12]
    Nov 7 10:23:01 freefall imapd-ssl: LOGIN, user=phonemail, ip=[::ffff:172.23.34.12], port=[47579], protocol=IMAP
    Nov 7 10:23:03 freefall imapd-ssl: Unexpected SSL connection shutdown.
    Nov 7 10:23:03 freefall imapd-ssl: DISCONNECTED, user=phonemail, ip=[::ffff:172.23.34.12], headers=0, body=0, rcvd=244, sent=883, time=2, starttls=1

*sigh* One of the main points of using IDLE in the first place is that it's the setting up and tearing down of SSL that is going to create most of the traffic on low-volume mail. Palm's implementation, apparently is to just make "as items arrive" actually mean "Check every 30 seconds by connecting and disconnecting". Nice way to kill your battery.

I love this phone, but as far as mail goes, I *really* miss my blackberry.
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 11/07/2009 at 09:45 AM.