1.    #1  
    Hi folks
    Got my pre in Ireland a week ago and so far so beautiful .. Working very smoothly. On my last Sony Ericsson phone you always knew if you were attached to HSDPA as the H icon would show up .. So far on the pre all I've seen is 3G or E (for edge I guess) .. Anyone know if a H icon comes up for HSDPA?
    Thanks.
    normally the HSDPA connection is visualized with a 3.5G icon.
    But I think this could depend on carrier settings?
    I mean, maybe with some carrier the 3.5G icon won't show up, but you're still on an HSDPA connection.
    Ask your carrier if you want more info!
    No H icon will come up, i get 3G full bars pretty much all the time, thankfully in an excellent reception area, the max youll see is 3G, others you'll see are E (EDGE) and G(GSM).
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replies! I guess I can do a speed test and see what kinda speeds I'm achieving and that will tell me HSDPA is working.
    It would have been nice if there were a separate indicator for HSDPA like H vs G for 3G
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    They don't have a separate indicator for HSDPA, it'll just say 3G. Also, G stands for GPRS, not GSM.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    is there a way to switch hspa on or off? on my current nokia you can that, and i'm glad as the hspa (3.5g) wears down the battery WAY faster than just 3g. or with the pre is it all or nothing?
    In the States on Sprint, we have a carrier-specific access code we can punch into the dialer to bring up a data menu. For us, it's ##DATA# or ##EVDO# -- but I highly doubt those would work on your GSM devices (especially considering the EVDO code is, well, referring to EvDO on CDMA). You might try using a little social engineering to pry the information out of your carrier's customer care folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    is there a way to switch hspa on or off? on my current nokia you can that, and i'm glad as the hspa (3.5g) wears down the battery WAY faster than just 3g. or with the pre is it all or nothing?
    Its all or nothing im afraid, you can only configure between 2G only and 3G only, and automatic (chooses better signal of the two dependent on location)
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    that's... extremely concerning.

the reviews about battery life i hear, are they by ppl using 3.5g or 3? it could explain how some people say it's fine life, and others say it's short. people in 3.5g areas compared to those in 3g areas perhaps
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Would anyone be interesting in writing an app or patch that allows you to use 3g but NOT 3.5g?

On my previous phone (nokia) it was great because 3.5g ran down the battery FAST, but 3g was okay. I'd love to use the pre on just 3g without hsdpa. Otherwise i kinda have to go with gprs (no edge on my network)