1.    #1  
    Everywhere I look I see people complaining about the pre's battery life, but for some reason my pre lasts ridiculously long for a smartphone imo. The other night I forgot to charge it over night and it made it half way through the next day. I haven't had that kind of battery life since my old samsung flip phone, years ago.

I usually throw it on the charger just before bed at around 30% to 40%, without throttling back on usuage at all.

This is my 3rd pre, and I don't remember the battery lasting as long on the other 2 but I didn't have all my settings set like I do on this one. I do remember the battery got hot on the others, and the only time I ever notice any heat on this one is when its plugged in.

heres some settings that may contribute to my batter life.
    - I keep the brightness very low, like maybe around 20%. I don't like it too bright anyway.
    - turn gps off when I'm not using it.
    - I turn of my data usage when I remember to. I keep the icon on my launch bar, so its really no an issue at all of inconvenience.
    - I don't use social networking. I'm thinking maybe this has a lot to do with it. Never been into it.
    - email is set to sync every hour but its not actually every hour because my data is off when I'm not doing anything. I am going to try 5 min increments though, seeing as how I have extra juice.
    - I text like crazy, and only use maybe 30 mins a day of talk time. But even on heavy calling days I havet noticed much of a drop.

My signal strength is usually 1-2 bars at home but full at work. Around town it usually hovers around 3, with some roaming areas here and there.

Do I just have a freak pre or what?
    Last edited by amokie; 11/06/2009 at 06:03 AM.
    All phones are freaks! Well, maybe not all phones but some human folk that use them might be! LOL. I get pretty good batt life out of mine but I don't use it like a PC nor do I spend hours talking on it. So it lasts me a full 24 hours and most of the time, into the next day without breaking a sweat.
    I usually have the same complaint as most pre users in that my battery lasts about 24 hours from charge to charge. I do not use it for power intensive apps, ie Sprint Nav or any of the video apps. I use about 30 minutes of talk time and 25 to 50 texts per day. If you are getting a day and a half, they must have changed the battery. Thanks for the scoop.
  4. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    keeping data (evdo/1x) turned off is the big secret.

My phone dropped from 96% charge to 93% charge in eleven hours overnight!!! Of course that's completely idle, but still... Three percent in eleven hours; no way it would do anywhere near that well with data on.
    So... you have an awesome smartphone that can do so many awesome cool things, but since you don't use those features and also turn off data for I'm guessing extended periods of time during the day your battery lasts for long periods of time, up to a couple days almost.

Well yippee.

A tank of gas would last in my car for an entire month if I stopped driving for extended periods of time, and drove VERY slowly when I did drive, and kept the A/C off during the summer, and never used the radio..... but to me at least, what the hell would be the point?

Yeah, I have to agree, the big thing is turning the data off. But that is what I use my phone the most for, so for me this doesn't really help.

My battery lasts me an entire day, typically. I don't constantly use my phone, but things are always on, and for me this works fine. Just charge it every night while I sleep.
    Last edited by supercluver; 11/06/2009 at 07:40 AM. Reason: New thoughts....
    mine last through out the day too and i use my Pre a lot. 4 hours of music/podcasts 1 hour of web browsing 1 hour of phone use 5-10 text and i do turn of data when i am not using it that dose help a lot and put it in airplane mode when i am on the train. The Pre is a great device can't wait for future updates!
    Bottom line if you turn off what's not needed all of the time it will last a long time. I've always been amazed to use my phone as a music player and that lasts forever. When I use the GPS for mapping, then it draws lots of power. Email... well I've got 4 accounts I check on so it is always on and it has a fairly minimal draw after a day, it will need a new charge as it will drain down to abut 18%. Talking on the phone doesn't always drain the phone that much, either. However with everything combined, I'll be lucky to get a days worth out of one initial charge.
    The data toggle really is key. I find that my Pre drains like crazy when I'm going in and out of buildings where it has to constantly switch between EV and 1x.. Sprint and roaming. Turning the data off when I'm not using it especially during those periods of time really helps battery life and since you can still send/receive sms without the data connection, its not a big hardship for me to be disconnected for short periods of time.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I prefer to just use an extended battery while yannow, using all the features of my phone :P
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    So... you have an awesome smartphone that can do so many awesome cool things, but since you don't use those features and also turn off data for I'm guessing extended periods of time during the day your battery lasts for long periods of time, up to a couple days almost.

Well yippee.

A tank of gas would last in my car for an entire month if I stopped driving for extended periods of time, and drove VERY slowly when I did drive, and kept the A/C off during the summer, and never used the radio..... but to me at least, what the hell would be the point?

Yeah, I have to agree, the big thing is turning the data off. But that is what I use my phone the most for, so for me this doesn't really help.

My battery lasts me an entire day, typically. I don't constantly use my phone, but things are always on, and for me this works fine. Just charge it every night while I sleep.
    I think that a better analogy would be turning your car off when you park it in the garage.
    Quote Originally Posted by amokie View Post
    My pre's battery lasts forever.
    You're not doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by amokie View Post
    Everywhere I look I see people complaining about the pre's battery life, but for some reason my pre lasts ridiculously long for a smartphone imo. The other night I forgot to charge it over night and it made it half way through the next day...
    You probly forgot to use it that next day, too. Just kiddin'...

But how do you turn data off?? That and turning off geocaching of photos' locations are the only two things I need to figure out.
    [QUOTE=But how do you turn data off?? That and turning off geocaching of photos' locations are the only two things I need to figure out.[/QUOTE]

Look for Location Services (compass icon) in one of your launcher pages.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    To turn data off, go into phone app, preferences, & then scroll down to data usage. There is a toggle on/off.
    So geocaching photos' locations is just automatic as long as location services is set to "on"?? Seems like there'd be another setting for that, but whatevz.

Thanks a lot, guys!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Not mine!!! Only an hour off the charger with a couple of call already down to 82% ***
    Try not to "flick" things anymore than necessary.

Also... get the browser multi-mod patch. Then you can use pg up/down (period & spacebar) and home/end (bkspace & enter). VERY convenient and definitely saves some battery life if you're flicking webpages around as often as I am.
    I just noticed my Pre has really great standby life, even with data on and GPS enabled. Left it on overnight by mistake and it dropped by maybe 5% battery life, if that.