1.    #1  
    Put it in developer mode, type the abovewritten phrase then you'll receive the following response: root@castle:/#

I ask, maybe to advanced users, why would I do that? To what purpose? Ta
    This has been covered so many times over, in so many tutorials, that I can't help but wonder if this is a joke of some kind.

Assuming that you're serious.....

That is called a "root shell." It is a command line for the underlying linux system that the Palm Pre runs as an operating system. It allows you to type in commands from your desktop computer, that will be executed on the Pre.

At one point, this was really the only way to take advantage of any homebrew software or patches on the Pre.

Fortunately, the development of desktop programs such as WebOSQuickInstall and the Preware installer, and Pre programs such as Preware itself have made it so that a "root shell" is really only needed for developers, and those engaging in 'serious' hacking of their phones.
  3.    #3  
    Ouch... sorry for asking. I always look in the forum before posting, probably didn't use the right keywords this time. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    Ouch... sorry for asking. I always look in the forum before posting, probably didn't use the right keywords this time. Thanks
    FWIW, I really wasn't trying to be rude. I honestly thought it might have been a joke since it's a really common topic.

But, I answered because I knew it might be serious too. If you want more information on the subject, just search for "rooting" which is the common (although often misused) term for it. Of course, as I said, Preware and WebOSQuickInstall have completely removed the need for "rooting" unless you're doing development work, or serious hacking, like running a web server on your Pre.