Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    I would think that you can't have a slider that doesn't have some play... I've been (heavily) using mine for about a week and there is a TINY bit of wiggle. Just wonder will it get worse? I'm terribly cautious, but maybe inevitable?

I would think that the Pre's in the GSM batch might have overcome some of the AWFUL build issues at the outset. Just wonder what other people are finding?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I never had this Oreo thingy on my Pre. And I have it since launch day.
    No probs here. Slight wiggle, no more and no less than since I took it out of the box on the (UK) launch day
    Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.
    Martin Golding
    UK launch day Pre owner here, no oreo effect whatsoever here, its very solid with no wiggle, heavy user, though ive been really careful with the less-than-good slider mechanism.

Is Oreo covered under warranty? Or would you need insurance? I would have thought warranty, but just wondering if someone could clarify whilst were on the topic.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    ive got a slight wobble but its no worse than many other slider phones ive had in the past. I would have thought it would be covered by warranty as its a manufacturing defect rather than damage
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    UK launch day Pre owner here, no oreo effect whatsoever here, its very solid with no wiggle, heavy user, though ive been really careful with the less-than-good slider mechanism.

Is Oreo covered under warranty? Or would you need insurance? I would have thought warranty, but just wondering if someone could clarify whilst were on the topic.
    My 1st was quite bad. I'm on a business traffif so I called o2, they implied that I'd dropped it, and advised me to take it to a store for them to check. The guy at the store was most helpful, called business services and they couriered me a new one next day.

The guy in the store said it was unacceptable and none of his three demo units did it, so it was easy. He said it would only get worse.

O2 business denied it was an issue, claiming they'd never had any reports.
    My first Palm Pre had barely a wiggle after three weeks of use. I got a brand new out of the box one today from O2 as there was a fault with my other one, it is really loose straight out of the box already so I can only see it getting worse so will probably take it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by C0deM0nkey View Post
    No probs here. Slight wiggle, no more and no less than since I took it out of the box on the (UK) launch day
    Same here. I think if you treat it with respect there should be no problems. I hope it stays like that for the next 1.5 yrs or so....

Hopefully "Pre 2" will be better if not as good.

Vas
    the problem is the psychological effect of the wiggle, makes you believe its a poorly made product, considering the price! (at least in the UK)
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    the problem is the psychological effect of the wiggle, makes you believe its a poorly made product, considering the price! (at least in the UK)
    That's funny - that's definitely a perfect way to classify it - the "psychological effect" of even the slightest wiggle! You feel like you're making more out of it than there is, but maybe not... You could make yourself crazy!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I have quite a lot of wiggle (1-2mm), but it's not unbearable. I just hope it doesn't get much worse - Which I doubt is possible, so that's fine with me.
    I got mine on October 16th and its gotten progressively worse to the point of unbearable.

Its in a leather holster, and even attempting to use the touchscreen now with the keyboard close isnt right because the screen moves. Its REALLY noticeable.

Called O2 today and they said its a recognised fault. Have agreed a brand new swap out for Monday morning.
    No wiggle on mine thankfully!
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Sorry for the newb question, but what is the Oreo effect exactly?
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adesonic View Post
    Sorry for the newb question, but what is the Oreo effect exactly?
    Oreo = any twisty, side-to-side play on a slider phone.
    My O2 launch day Pre had a bit of a wiggle, nothing major, but noticeable when I simply pick it up sometimes. So I took it in to the O2 store today and they exchanged it no problem. My replacement is definitely tighter, although it's never been used so we'll see what it's like in a months time! I also exchanged my Touchstone due to the charging bug. Hopefully better luck with this one.
    just to clarify, do you do a full erase before swapping, then log into your palm profile on the new handset to restore all you stuff?
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ds17 View Post
    just to clarify, do you do a full erase before swapping, then log into your palm profile on the new handset to restore all you stuff?
    Yes, but it doesnt back up much. You'll get your apps but not their settings, you'll have to re-arrange everything. You'll lose all your data, txts, emails, but your email accounts will still exist. We have exchange so it wasnt too bad for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by robdos View Post
    Yes, but it doesnt back up much. You'll get your apps but not their settings, you'll have to re-arrange everything. You'll lose all your data, txts, emails, but your email accounts will still exist. We have exchange so it wasnt too bad for me.
    I assumed the Palm Profile would look after my txts. I was wrong.

I can't work out where they're stored - not anywhere in USB mode from what I can see so they must be in the cloud?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast