1.    #1  
    I just got my Pre on sunday so I have had it about 5 days, the battery lasts shorter and shorter by the day and its getting extremely hot when using, charging, and even when I am not using it. Has anyone else had these issues?
    Make sure that you close apps when you aren't using them and turn WiFi off when it's not being used.

If your phone is warming up even when you're not using it, then you either have a memory leak somewhere or one of your "background" cards is using a lot of CPU or data. Either one of those will kill the battery quicker than anything.
  3.    #3  
    Not sure, i dont leave cards open, nor do I leave wifi on. I have installed a few patches though....

AccuWeather
    Translator
    WHERE
    Package Manager Services
    4x4 Icons v3
    Enable LED Notifications
    Hide Nascar
    Hide NFL
    Multi Mod
    Open to call log
    Reset scroll position
    fileCoaster
    Gass Passer (LOL I had too)
    Preware

Once again I NEVER leave cards open so I dunno, I dont browse the internet, I send about 20 texts a day and maybe make 1-3 calls and my battery is dead in 5-7 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssphotography View Post
    Not sure, i dont leave cards open, nor do I leave wifi on. I have installed a few patches though....

AccuWeather
    Translator
    WHERE
    Package Manager Services
    4x4 Icons v3
    Enable LED Notifications
    Hide Nascar
    Hide NFL
    Multi Mod
    Open to call log
    Reset scroll position
    fileCoaster
    Gass Passer (LOL I had too)
    Preware

Once again I NEVER leave cards open so I dunno, I dont browse the internet, I send about 20 texts a day and maybe make 1-3 calls and my battery is dead in 5-7 hours.
    couple things

first, not so sure about the patches, as in, I don't know if any of yours are known memory/battery hogs

as far as wifi/evdo/data, one of if not the biggest draw on battery is signal issues. If you have signal issues you will not get good battery life, similarly if you find yourself roaming often, or switching evdo/1x often you will have terrible battery life. you should (contrary to the above poster) leave wifi ON pretty much whenever it is available, and even for the in between moments.
    you should also try doing things like going into phone preferences and turning off data. while your there, try a prl update and network update, just for S&Gs

I would also recommend turning off gps whenever it is not in use, seems to help me alot. you can get apps from the homebrew both for gps toggle and data toggle, leave them in the launcher for easy access.

patches wise, there are also patches to add gps toggle to the dropdown menu, as well as a roam only patch, which i would reccomend if you are in a bad signal area for sprint, but good for verizon. be forwarned, roam more than 50% of the time and you will get sprints panties in a bunch.

having the data turned off will save battery, but will not allow for the instant "push" of email, it will wait to update untill you are using the device with a wifi signal. sms and regular phone work just dandy though.

as far as leaving apps open, many of us on precentral have negligable battery drain from things like tasks or mail or sms apps, the big fat smelly hog seems to be browser more than anything. otherwise, you can probably leave those apps open, and take advantage of what webOS was designed for, instant access to multitasking applications anytime, helps to blunt speed concerns too.

well thats just about all i can think of, screen brightness never made a lick of difference to my battery life. I think a softreset everyday or two is a good idea to keep'er purring like a kitten as well.

so to recap

1 DO use WIFI if you can
    2 Do disable Data if you can
    3 Do close pigglets like the browser, but feel free to leave others open
    4 Do dissable GPS when not in use
    5 Do use the patch to allow roaming
    6 Do use the homebrew to help make it all easier

if all else fails, the mugen 1400mah battery is a nice fit for the touchstone back and gives a 15% boost in your battery life.
    There are four lights.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    couple things

first, not so sure about the patches, as in, I don't know if any of yours are known memory/battery hogs

as far as wifi/evdo/data, one of if not the biggest draw on battery is signal issues. If you have signal issues you will not get good battery life, similarly if you find yourself roaming often, or switching evdo/1x often you will have terrible battery life. you should (contrary to the above poster) leave wifi ON pretty much whenever it is available, and even for the in between moments.
    you should also try doing things like going into phone preferences and turning off data. while your there, try a prl update and network update, just for S&Gs

I would also recommend turning off gps whenever it is not in use, seems to help me alot. you can get apps from the homebrew both for gps toggle and data toggle, leave them in the launcher for easy access.

patches wise, there are also patches to add gps toggle to the dropdown menu, as well as a roam only patch, which i would reccomend if you are in a bad signal area for sprint, but good for verizon. be forwarned, roam more than 50% of the time and you will get sprints panties in a bunch.

having the data turned off will save battery, but will not allow for the instant "push" of email, it will wait to update untill you are using the device with a wifi signal. sms and regular phone work just dandy though.

as far as leaving apps open, many of us on precentral have negligable battery drain from things like tasks or mail or sms apps, the big fat smelly hog seems to be browser more than anything. otherwise, you can probably leave those apps open, and take advantage of what webOS was designed for, instant access to multitasking applications anytime, helps to blunt speed concerns too.

well thats just about all i can think of, screen brightness never made a lick of difference to my battery life. I think a softreset everyday or two is a good idea to keep'er purring like a kitten as well.

so to recap

1 DO use WIFI if you can

if all else fails, the mugen 1400mah battery is a nice fit for the touchstone back and gives a 15% boost in your battery life.
    Thanks man, I use wifi all day so check that.
    other than that all of those are check
    I have 2 bars in my house but i am connected to wifi whenever home so dunno..
    I just got my Pre on sunday so I have had it about 5 days, the battery lasts shorter and shorter by the day and its getting extremely hot when using, charging, and even when I am not using it. Has anyone else had these issues?
    I had one episode where the battery drained *very* quickly and the Pre got warm on the back (even when not on the Touchstone). A software reboot did not fix the problem, but a hardware reset (i.e. removing the battery) DID fix the problem. I believe it had something to do with the network radio (wifi) getting "stuck" on ... but no hard evidence on what really caused it. Only happened the one time.

So ... if you haven't tried shutting down and pulling the battery, I suggest you do that. If it still has the problem, it's probably a hardware defect.
    couple things

so to recap

1 DO use WIFI if you can

Man, I totally agree with wz here... although I think what made the biggest diff might have just been turning off location and I too have my gps disabled and called up when u fire up apps like google maps. I can live with the extra tap of the screen, my battery life is much better and I'm using many tweaks as well. Oh, and I discovered the dreaded and feared headset bug today, thankfully I found a sure fire correction, but I hope they fix that next update...

Oh and about the excessive heat, I experienced that when I first got the phone, I thought I messed up my battery too for a while, but try these suggestions for a couple of days first. I just try to avoid using the phone while it's charging on the wall charger, that's when it seems to get scary hot, so I avoid it as much as possible. I also read where having only 1 or 2 bars for a signal level can cause the battery to drain, so they suggest turning wifi on when using your phone in low signal areas when you can. I have not noticed if this is true for me yet or not, but it's a thought.
    Last edited by patriot199; 11/05/2009 at 09:14 PM.
    Thanks man, I use wifi all day so check that.
    other than that all of those are check
    I have 2 bars in my house but i am connected to wifi whenever home so dunno..
    curious.

you still get only 5 hours with all that?

you say the pre gets really hot, is it too hot to touch?

I am wondering if the pre is functioning correctly then, have you used the battery tracker app to see what and when things are going wrong. that helped me figure out the best battery savings, and made me realize i could leave some apps open without a battery hit.

I would try installing the battery app and then letting it run for an a few hours with the pre in airplane mode, then with wifi, then with whatever else you usually have on, to track and see what your big power draw is.

if its sucking power in airplane mode, go get it replaced
    if it sucks power in wifi only mode that dosn't seem right, and i would try dissabeling a push account, to see if that helps, still you shouldn't have to, and i would ultimately be questioning the device function.

thats how i would start my trouble shooting, sounds like you have done alot yourself.

How was battery life prior to the patches?
    There are four lights.
  9.    #10  
    curious.

you still get only 5 hours with all that?

you say the pre gets really hot, is it too hot to touch?

I am wondering if the pre is functioning correctly then, have you used the battery tracker app to see what and when things are going wrong. that helped me figure out the best battery savings, and made me realize i could leave some apps open without a battery hit.

I would try installing the battery app and then letting it run for an a few hours with the pre in airplane mode, then with wifi, then with whatever else you usually have on, to track and see what your big power draw is.

if its sucking power in airplane mode, go get it replaced
    if it sucks power in wifi only mode that dosn't seem right, and i would try dissabeling a push account, to see if that helps, still you shouldn't have to, and i would ultimately be questioning the device function.

thats how i would start my trouble shooting, sounds like you have done alot yourself.

How was battery life prior to the patches?
    Battery life has been becoming shorter day by day, you ask if its to hot to touch, its just about hot enough where I dont wanna hold it in my hand because its borderline uncomfortable just to hold, like 5 degees more it would probobly burn me. Id have to say about 125 degrees if I had to take a guess