1.    #1  
    my problem with the two pres i have purchased was the antenna, it would not be strong enough sometimes and i would lose calls and/or be staticy.

i use my phone for work and need a good antenna as i use about 5000 min a month talking.

im wondering where you purchased it from (sprint, best buy etc) and if any of you are, or have experienced this problem.

thank you in advance for your help
    I got mine from cellulardeals.com ten days ago and I don't have any connectivity problems. So far everything has been working great, and the touchstone is just the coolest.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    got mine from BB. the build quality is good, slider seems solid and no loss of signal.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    got mine from the Sprint store on 10/6. No problems with connectivity or static even in poor coverage areas.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I have dropped calls in buildings sometimes but no static. You should recognize that the SAR rating for power to the antenna falls in the middle to lower end of the pack. This is something I value because I don't want too much radiation next to my ear but this is always at the expense of signal.

The nice thing about CDMA is that you should be able to have a fairly crystal clear talk with only 1 bar of signal so static is definitely an anomaly or an indication of interference by another device
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Not in the last 30 days but generally my calling has been good. The only issue I have found is cell tower handoff. Seems to drop calls more between towers (usually roam towers) than my old VZW phones did. Have to admit though, I don't talk more than a few hundred minutes a month, and most of the time it's in fringe areas where service borderline.
  7.    #7  
    thank you all for your input. i am guessing i have just been getting the bad apples so to speak. i was thinking of trying best buy this time instead of the sprint stores, where i purchased my last two.

hopefully more will chime in with input.
    do a search on this forum and you will see quite a few signal strength posts... after reading many of them, my opinion is that the antenna is weaker than other sprint phones. in some posts, some people had other sprint phones side by side and can see a signal strength difference at least in how it's showing its bars.

consider this too that if you do have weak signal, your phone will run battery MUCH harder to maintain a signal/lock.

for some they have great strength and no issue. for some it is and have to take that into consideration. 5000 minutes IMO is a ton of minutes and deserves serious consideration. where i work in a hospital, att is great. better than my buddies verizon and i have a doctor with a pre and his sucks... i hear there is only one tower around here. that was definitely one of my final factors because i can NOT afford to miss a call because of that.

if it's that bad then call sprint and see if they will give you an airrave and drop the charges because you are such a power user.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    thank you all for your input. i am guessing i have just been getting the bad apples so to speak. i was thinking of trying best buy this time instead of the sprint stores, where i purchased my last two.

hopefully more will chime in with input.
    If you are at your home and get a spotty signal like I did, then call sprint to get an airave device to become a mini cell tower in your home. I got mine from "the Shack" and haven't had any issues.
    I bought mine from amazon.com and its been fine. Connects to wifi faster and more reliable than my iPhone and have not had any call problems.
  11.    #11  
    i have the airrave and its only ok, in my opinion. i drive a lot and am on the phone the whole time for the most part.

it almost seems like a 50/50 chance.

i guess i should of asked what area people are from. im in the dallas region.

the phone is way to useful for what i need and have not been able to find another phone that comes close.
    I've had mine for 2 weeks and have not noticed that the antenna is unusually weak. I'm not anywhere near Dallas, though.
  13.    #13  
    its frustrating. i want the phone. hell if i could get a 75% chance i would take it but it still seems to be 50/50

domn...i have looked at all the threads on the antenna. but some are older and when the thread starts, it starts on complaining and everyone else follows suit. i was looking for positive feedback as well.
    You could always try a third just for piece of mind and if it's the same after three then i would say signal issue in your area. if that's the case then you either fight for an airrave at your home and hope the area you frequent is strong or let it go and get another phone.

i have at&t in south florida with my 3GS... i read all the time new york is absolutely useless to have an iphone with talk of 30% dropped calls!... in south florida where i live... no issues and i am always hitting an average of 2 megabits on data using speedtest.com. if I lived in new york, i would have thrown away my 3GS after a few dropped calls because for me i can not afford to miss calls like that.

good luck and let us know what the resolution was.
  15.    #15  
    i have an airrave. it would still not connect correctly! no other phone has had the same problem. i am using the mogul now. i do like the phone but its starting to freeze over and over almost on a daily basis.
    wow, you have an airrave already eh

you seemed determined so if you can go 3rd time's the charm and if that doesnt work, hope that 1.3 has some connectivity fix for you. after that i'd toss it and go with something else. of course i guess this is all within your 30 days eh? i have no idea how sprint works but if they cant extend your 30 days then forget it. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    i have an airrave. it would still not connect correctly! no other phone has had the same problem. i am using the mogul now. i do like the phone but its starting to freeze over and over almost on a daily basis.