1.    #1  
    How important is 4G if Palm indeed makes the Pre2? Personally it will be the deciding factor for me if I stay with Palm or jump on Android. I spend 2 days every week in Chicago so I would definitely love to utilize the 4G network being built their. It is also the perfect time to put out a phone that will dominate for a while. Verizon is trailing in the 4G arena quite a bit. While AT&T doesn't expect to even start till 2012.

FYI 4G brings:

Video Conferencing with no lag
    HDTV content
    Better quality TV (sprint TV)

Just off the top of my head. Let alone all the apps that could utilize 4G's extra speed.
    sprint is ahead of the game in this department for sure
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    There is a better place for this thread...

http://forums.precentral.net/future-palm-devices/
    My guess is that if Palms "nextG" device is on Sprint, it'll have 4G. That would likely be enough to make me buy it.
  5.    #5  
    [QUOTE=Elysian893;2017805]There is a better place for this thread...

[url]

Whoops forgot about that. If any Mods are kind enough to move it pls =-)
    this would lift palm up tremendously to have the first 4g device in operation on sprints network no less , yes that would be good .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    4G is the least of my concerns.
    Although it would be nice.
    It would be a game changer, if 4G had the coverage of Sprints 3G coverage, but that won't happen for years. Other than that, I guess it would be a cool thing to say "I have a 4G phone and you don't", even though you can't take advantage of it in most of the country.
    Yes & No. If it comes with 4G then great, but that means that Sprint or (insert your fav. carrier) would have to at least get there 4G systems up in 20 major cities, by the rollout of the next phone. I suspect that this would be in about 1.5yrs, sooo...

Also, isn't Sprint about to rollout its WiMax system as well? Doesn't this semi intrude on 4G development?
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEEZM03 View Post
    Also, isn't Sprint about to rollout its WiMax system as well? Doesn't this semi intrude on 4G development?
    Aren't WiMax and 4G dependent technologies?
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    none of those benefits would be something i'd use. Especially considering that a 4G device and service would no doubt cost more. I rarely ever use tv on my phone (or at home for that matter)
    Only if I can use it for tethering (in a condoned way) otherwise 3G is plenty fast for things on the phone (esp with that brilliant patch speeding it up).
    I'm not sure I care one way or the other. I suppose that more speed would be nice but I can already tether mt Pre and stream video to my netbook efficiently over 3G. The only time when I feel like I don't have enough speed is when I hit a dead spot or a spot where my drops down to 1x. Granted there aren't that many places here in Chicago but there are some and I think I'd rather have Sprint concentrate on eliminating those before it rolls out 4G. Will 4G eliminate slow or dead spots? If so, count me on the bandwagon. I personally ride the train a lot and would love to be able to get coverage in the subway either via Sprint's data network or through wifi.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEEZM03 View Post
    Yes & No. If it comes with 4G then great, but that means that Sprint or (insert your fav. carrier) would have to at least get there 4G systems up in 20 major cities, by the rollout of the next phone. I suspect that this would be in about 1.5yrs, sooo...

Wimax IS the 4G that Sprint will be using if I'm not mistaken. Also Sprint has stated that 4G will cover 100-120 million ppl by the end of this year or beginning of next can't remember which. That is pretty f'ing impressive considering they started like mid or end of last year.
    - 4G is the short term for fourth-generation wireless, the stage of broadband mobile communications that will supercede the third generation (3G). While neither standards bodies nor carriers have concretely defined or agreed upon what exactly 4G will be, it is expected that end-to-end IP and high-quality streaming video will be among 4G's distinguishing features. Fourth generation networks are likely to use a combination of WiMAX and WiFi.
    Technologies employed by 4G may include SDR (Software-defined radio) receivers, OFDM (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing), OFDMA (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access), MIMO (multiple input/multiple output) technologies, UMTS and TD-SCDMA. All of these delivery methods are typified by high rates of data transmission and packet-switched transmision protocols. 3G technologies, by contrast, are a mix of packet and circuit-switched networks.

When fully implemented, 4G is expected to enable pervasive computing, in which simultaneous connections to multiple high-speed networks provide seamless handoffs throughout a geographical area. Network operators may employ technologies such as cognitive radio and wireless mesh networks to ensure connectivity and efficiently distribute both network traffic and spectrum.

The high speeds offered by 4G will create new markets and opportunities for both traditional and startup telecommunications companies. 4G networks, when coupled with cellular phones equipped with higher quality digital cameras and even HD capabilities, will enable vlogs to go mobile, as has already occurred with text-based moblogs. New models for collaborative citizen journalism are likely to emerge as well in areas with 4G connectivity.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    I'm not sure I care one way or the other. I suppose that more speed would be nice but I can already tether mt Pre and stream video to my netbook efficiently over 3G. The only time when I feel like I don't have enough speed is when I hit a dead spot or a spot where my drops down to 1x. Granted there aren't that many places here in Chicago but there are some and I think I'd rather have Sprint concentrate on eliminating those before it rolls out 4G. Will 4G eliminate slow or dead spots? If so, count me on the bandwagon. I personally ride the train a lot and would love to be able to get coverage in the subway either via Sprint's data network or through wifi.
    where are you at? I'm on the north side and i lost signal/drop to 1x all over the city.
    very!
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    My next phone will be 4g, if the next Palm phone doesn't have it, guess it'll be an android. It'd be a shame to switch when I think the Pre is finally beginning to take off but oh well. I need that sweet sweet 4g goodness.