1.    #1  
    What's wrong with using web apps (adding a webpage to the launcher and it becomes an icon)?

x.facebook.com: It's a beautiful interface now and fully functional.

google.com/reader/i - Fast and easy to read feeds with full images, etc.

CNN Mobile - Perfectly formatted for the Pre.

Amazon.com - " "

I can go on and on. I made icons for all of these and more and they work great, just as if I launched an app. So why does everyone NEED an app when these work great?

This post was triggered by the latest Facebook app (Palmbook) in the homebrew section. All that work put into it, and it doesn't offer notifications or anything else noteworthy that the mobile site doesn't already offer. So I'm wondering what's the point? The app still has to go to the web, so IMO you might as well use the actual mobile site.

Help me out here.
    Generally, I've found that web apps tend to be less responsive than apps that run natively. Also, the browser on the Pre, excellent though it is, has an annoying tendency to auto-reload pages when you bring its card out of hibernation, and it doesn't cache the previous page for quick-back action. Not really huge problems for most ... unless you're a mass transit rider who likes to open news stories, etc., above ground before hopping on the no-cell-service train. That's why a lot of native apps (like the Newsweek app) are awesome -- they pull all the content off the site, and store it on the phone. Makes it more responsive, too.

And ... I haven't been able to update my status or leave any comments on x.facebook.com in a couple days. Every time I try, the text input box collapses down to nothing. And even when it's working right, the damn thing hangs all the time on the three-square "loading" stage.

::Shrug:: Different strokes, but I've always been of the opinion that native apps are far superior, and nothing that's happened recently has changed my mind.
    +1 ^^^^
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I agree that there's some pretty good mobile web pages, and there's some apps that don't offer any more than the web page.

My favorite is mv.weather.com, which I think is in some ways better than the Weather Channel app (which is actually pretty good). The browser typically opens much faster than most apps ... so if the web page is bookmarked and responsive, you can actually get there faster.

I also like the CNN mobile you mentioned, and I use the ESPN mobile all the time.
    Also, the browser on the Pre, excellent though it is, has an annoying tendency to auto-reload pages when you bring its card out of hibernation, and it doesn't cache the previous page for quick-back action
    This drives me completely insane! Every time I bump a link by accident (seems to happen more since one of the updates) I get furious when it takes 10 seconds to load the previous page. If they were to fix this, I'd be on happy camper!
    Other than the points already stated, maybe it is concept of keeping up with the iJoneses.