Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sucklingpig View Post
    Thanks c_man for this helpful link.

My understanding in that case is that warranty is still supported if I were to return the phone to the original carrier in the country of sale? i.e. Movistar in Spain in this case? I understand that the warranty does not enable one to return it to just ANY carrier in another country.

At least this will provide additional peace-of-mind, despite the numerous reports of happy clients who have purchased the phone off ebay/Expansys.
    But seriously, with you in Oz, would you contemplate returning the phone back to Movistar in Spain if your Pre developed a fault? The shipping costs involved would render the process quite useless (and painful and costly and thus not worth it)
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    But seriously, with you in Oz, would you contemplate returning the phone back to Movistar in Spain if your Pre developed a fault? The shipping costs involved would render the process quite useless (and painful and costly and thus not worth it)
    Unfortunately that is what it has boiled down to over here in Oz. Palm appears to have pulled all representation out of the Asia-Pacific region and hence the phone is not available here, period.

This means that the only options we have are:

1. Purchase QWERTZ Pre from Expansys Hong Kong - warranty is valid for 12 months but we have to ship the phone back to HK for service/repairs.
    2. Have someone purchase QWERTZ Pre from O2 Germany - then send back to Germany O2 for service/repairs should there be any fault.
    3. Purchase through ebay, which may potentially void the warranty.

If all goes well with the phone then fantastic (several Aussies have already reported success stories). If, however, there is a fault with the phone or it turns into a brick.... then the process turns painful as you have stated and we'll have to pay for shipping costs to have it replaced/serviced. We have no other reasonable options unfortunately.

Out of interest, is the GSM Pre selling at O2 UK at an outright price without contract? Can you tell me how much this is? The other option is to have someone purchase this for me at the UK and send to Australia, with hopes that the Rebel Sim card can unlock it. The things we do for a Palm!
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Unfortunately that is what it has boiled down to over here in Oz. Palm appears to have pulled all representation out of the Asia-Pacific region and hence the phone is not available here, period.

This means that the only options we have are:

1. Purchase QWERTZ Pre from Expansys Hong Kong - warranty is valid for 12 months but we have to ship the phone back to HK for service/repairs.
    2. Have someone purchase QWERTZ Pre from O2 Germany - then send back to Germany O2 for service/repairs should there be any fault.
    3. Purchase through ebay, which may potentially void the warranty.

If all goes well with the phone then fantastic (several Aussies have already reported success stories). If, however, there is a fault with the phone or it turns into a brick.... then the process turns painful as you have stated and we'll have to pay for shipping costs to have it replaced/serviced. We have no other reasonable options unfortunately.
    I understand your predicament .

Out of interest, is the GSM Pre selling at O2 UK at an outright price without contract? Can you tell me how much this is? The other option is to have someone purchase this for me at the UK and send to Australia, with hopes that the Rebel Sim card can unlock it. The things we do for a Palm!
    Yep, take a look here: http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post1997535
    I have talk with Palm Spain and they told me that the warranty is only for Spain. If you have a problem with the Pre you have to ship it to Spain and warranty period is two years.
    David Gomez
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    hmmm... not sure about that. i would be more willing to go for it if it was a send-back-to-seller thing.

sucklingpig, what network are you planning to use it on in aus? one of the optus ones? i'm concerned that the pre only appears to have built-in apn for telstra?
    Hi guys ,
    I was reading the forum , and i would like to respond to some of your doubts especially the one from australia ,ok, taking in account the guarantee situation of palm pre , for example i bought many palm prprpr$s$ $from$ $expansys$ ,$which$ $is$ $a$ $company$ $that$ $sells$ $products$, $so$ $if$ $i$ $live$ ,$in$ $country$ $X$ ,$expansys$ $will$ $provide$ $the$ $guarantee$ $indirectly$ , $what$ $i$ $mean$ $is$ $that$ $they$ $inform$ $me$ $to$ $send$ $it$ $to$ $the$ $nearest$ $palm$ $center$ $for$ $repair$ , $but$ $on$ $the$ $otherside$ $expansys$ $phones$ $are$ $from$ $O2$ $Germany$ $unlocked$ , $so$ $my$ $answer$ $to$ $all$ $of$ $the$ $doubts$ $is$ $that$ $theoreticaly$ $what$ $sucklingpig$ $said$ $is$ $true$ $but$ $in$ $the$ $field$ $it$ $all$ $goes$ $to$ $the$ $same$ $place$, $cheers$.
    ""YOU DONT GET IT ,DO YOU!""
    Hey goma, You must be a world record lurker. Joined August 2001 and only 2 posts before this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    hmmm... not sure about that. i would be more willing to go for it if it was a send-back-to-seller thing.

sucklingpig, what network are you planning to use it on in aus? one of the optus ones? i'm concerned that the pre only appears to have built-in apn for telstra?
    I'm sorry I don't have the technical knowledge in this area. I have an idea what an APN is from what I can read on the web, but can you explain to me how you intend to modify this... and to what end?

I plan to use it on Optus, given the success reported in both Precentral and whirlpool forums, and the fact that we know that the Pre's from Germany is dual-band UMTS 900/2100. As you know yourself, Telstra is unsupported as their Next G network is UMTS 850, but may roam onto other 3G networks if you have coverage in your area.. http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post2013523.
    Last edited by sucklingpig; 11/06/2009 at 10:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I'm sorry I don't have the technical knowledge in this area. I have an idea what an APN is from what I can read on the web, but can you explain to me how you intend to modify this... and to what end?.
    i might be using the wrong terminology but i mean the access point to connect to the internet, each company has its own. for instance on virgin, it's virginvibe.com.au and if you don't have that address in the phone, it won't work. Although I've found out the pre does have that, so no prob there.

Basically because these addresses can't (yet) be changed manually, if you buy a pre and try to use it on a network not already programmed in, it'll only work for voice
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    i might be using the wrong terminology but i mean the access point to connect to the internet, each company has its own. for instance on virgin, it's virginvibe.com.au and if you don't have that address in the phone, it won't work. Although I've found out the pre does have that, so no prob there.

Basically because these addresses can't (yet) be changed manually, if you buy a pre and try to use it on a network not already programmed in, it'll only work for voice
    but the carrier Db file can be edited. I can assist with this as I edited the file when I was trying to figure out why Testra NextG wasn;t working and of course this is before I became aware that it is 900/2100 Mhz only
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    thewhitetower do you mean by doing all this webos linux desktop doctor hacking stuff? or am i getting confused. i thought there was a big thing about ppl getting the german pre and not being able to put in their network settings
    johncc I have joined when I worked in piensaenpalm.com, today is pdaexperetos.com and used the web and forum to look for news. Now I have connected because I'm a Pre owner.
    David Gomez
    Some of you asked by private about the bands in which operate the Pre sold in Spain.

Palm Pre Radio
    • Dual band WCDMA/HSDPA (850/1900 or 900/2100)
    • Quadband GSM/GPRS/EGPRS (850/900/1800/1900)

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/support/d...UG_WR_esES.pdf
    David Gomez
    Quote Originally Posted by goma View Post
    Some of you asked by private about the bands in which operate the Pre sold in Spain.

Palm Pre Radio
    Dual band WCDMA/HSDPA (850/1900 or 900/2100)
    Quadband GSM/GPRS/EGPRS (850/900/1800/1900)

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/support/d...UG_WR_esES.pdf
    Surely this info is a BIG deal to anyone wanting an 850/1900 band radio? Or am I missing something?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Got my GSM Pre yesterday. I bought it from Goma 10 days ago via eBay. It works perfectly in the Netherlands using KPN as the provider. Thanks Goma.
    You're welcome, Schraal.
    David Gomez
    Just got my GSM QWERTY UNLOCKED pre from Goma. Phone is sweeeeeeeeet. Thanks Dude !
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    So, goma, how much are you selling for?
    495 euros + shipping + 5% if you pay with paypal (in ebay). Out of there 15 euros less.
    David Gomez
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goma View Post
    495 euros + shipping + 5% if you pay with paypal (in ebay). Out of there 15 euros less.
    I understand you can only unlock Spanish Pre's. Or can you do UK Pre's as well?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast