View Poll Results: How many paid apps have you purchased?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

143 51.07%
  • 1 or 2

77 27.50%
  • 3 to 5

43 15.36%
  • 6 to 10

13 4.64%
  • More than 10

4 1.43%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    So we should buy a lot of apps useless to us to make developers feel good? No thanks. Come out with something that really does something I want/need to do for a decent price and I'll buy it. Palm already got my money for the phone and accessories. If they want to make more from the App Store, then they need to make a full SDK to allow developers to make real apps that I might actually be interested in.
    Check out Dealert =)
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    None. I'm itching to buy an RSS reader, but both of the ones on my radar have what I consider glaring lack of basic features.

• NewsRoom looks good, but doesn't mark individual articles as read (I'm picky)
    • Scoop looks good, but doesn't have links to the full article (what!?!?)

Yeesh.
    Last edited by insane42; 11/05/2009 at 12:22 PM.
    You could try Feeds from Homebrew. It uses google reader's framework to load rss feeds. I use it every day and I find it extremely handy since it syncs with reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmglouis View Post
    You could try Feeds from Homebrew. It uses google reader's framework to load rss feeds. I use it every day and I find it extremely handy since it syncs with reader.
    Ya, I've seen Feeds but I'm an app catalog kind of guy.
    Well, ZERO, since Fair Dinkum stopped working for me. It shouldn't be a hassle to BUY apps for my SMART phone. Really starting to **** me off.
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    As of right now, I dont really see why we should be paying for any apps. They all can pretty much be downloaded off preware for free.
    I might pay for a good poker game though!
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    i'm waiting for dataviz to produce, then i'll buy it, then stop buying. haven't seen anything stunning pop out of anywhere...

i've got 2 pieces of software that utilized gps for me
    send my location (works great)
    go to light (work great)
    - the rest seems to be software that does what my browser will do for me, find stuff... i can already do that.

not so much into the pretty stuff, so no interest there. no light sabers for me, thank you.

i'd like to be able to manipulate my files - don't see that.
    i'd like to be able to create and edit docs and spreads in phone - don't see that.
    i'm a big game nut, but all of the games are rather cheezy covered with flashy screens to pretty them up, or facebook hijackings.

while i certainly appreciate the time and energy (and brainwork) that homebrew developers are expending - i've read too many 'oh no' threads to even consider homebrew - i lose my mind when my phone loses it's mind - and i wouldn't want to wait until i get home to sit on the computer and be blasted by the "why didn't you search first" salad makers to fix my phone.

i'll shut up now.
    Last edited by tarhead; 11/05/2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: i'm old and forgetful...
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Ironically, I too have donated more money towards the Homebrew community then I have spent in the app catalog. I haven't seen too many applications that seem all that useful... How many tip calculator apps do we need? The only application that I found of any significant use is on the app catalog is Pack n' Track. (despite the current version not notifying you of status updates.. Get the new version Articus submitted to you 2 weeks ago up in the catalog PALM!)

Dr.Podder, & myTether are the two homebrew apps that I found useful (for me) that got my donations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post
    Ironically, I too have donated more money towards the Homebrew community then I have spent in the app catalog. I haven't seen too many applications that seem all that useful... How many tip calculator apps do we need? The only application that I found of any significant use is on the app catalog is Pack n' Track. (despite the current version not notifying you of status updates.. Get the new version Articus submitted to you 2 weeks ago up in the catalog PALM!)

Dr.Podder, & myTether are the two homebrew apps that I found useful (for me) that got my donations.
    Agreed!! MyTether was definitely worth it!
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    I agree with someone above about needing to buy apps to show its profitable or we will never get iPhone like app (Madden, Doom, Docs2Go, Online Banking, etc...) but its also a catch 22, where there are not many apps worth paying for.

Many IMO are overpriced when you can get the same thing on the iPhone for free or 1/2 the price.
    None. I don't trust Palm's programmers to protect my credit card number any better than they do anything else.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    None for me.

1) It's too awkward/time consuming to search through the catalog

2) No good camera enhancers yet

3) Phone is disabled without service which means if you one day switch to Android or whatever then YOUR phone is disabled and all money invested in apps is gone. (I still buy apps for my iPhone even though I dumped ATT, the iPhone is still a great app/game machine)
    weather program and who wants to be a millionaire
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I've paid for Tweed and easyShop. There hasn't really been anything else that has stood out to me as anything I need. There are one or two other I have thought about paying for, but I feel they are priced to high.

Another thing that is killing me is the memory limit issue. I'm at a point where I have to delete a few apps just to update others. Until Palm fixes this, they won't get another dime out of me.
    Bought one from AppCatalog - GolfCaddie gps (well worth the money considering these sell for up to $40 on other platforms). Donated to WOSQI and Preware.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Kev, LurkerX is right. Most of the apps there have no value to me, aren't well done, and/or are beat by something free from homebrew.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    3) Phone is disabled without service which means if you one day switch to Android or whatever then YOUR phone is disabled and all money invested in apps is gone. (I still buy apps for my iPhone even though I dumped ATT, the iPhone is still a great app/game machine)
    Can we please stop spreading this FUD? I swear they should make it against forum rules to post blatant lies about the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post
    I agree with someone above about needing to buy apps to show its profitable or we will never get iPhone like app (Madden, Doom, Docs2Go, Online Banking, etc...) but its also a catch 22, where there are not many apps worth paying for.

Many IMO are overpriced when you can get the same thing on the iPhone for free or 1/2 the price.
    The real problem is that the SDK is not robust enough to develop the quality of programs many of us would consider paying for. I've bought 6 apps from the Catalog, but did so mainly to support the platform. Much of what I see in the Catalog are programs that provide information that I can get from the Internet (but simply provide a more convenient way to access the information).

Games like Madden and Doom won't see the light of day on WebOS until OpenGL or WebGL are available... or until GPU-level APIs are provided to developers. On-line banking apps don't need that level of access, so other than ensuring proper security, there is nothing stopping developers from implementing them (other than positioning the platform so that banks will embrace it...read "marketing"...PALM!)

As for the pricing... It's a matter of volume versus return on investment. The iPhone has a glut of apps, but it also has 20-times the number of users, if not more. That is a much larger pool of potential app buyers, so developers can charge less and make up for it in volume of purchases.

Yes, an SDK was available at launch for the Pre versus coming out a year later as with the iPhone, but it is a different market now versus then. Palm cannot afford to provide less than a stellar product (to include SDK) in THIS market. The rules are not the same today as when the iPhone was released years ago. The iPhone had no competition (in the form of a complete phone/app/one-stop shop solution) when it was released. With that head-start, it took off--despite its shortcomings--because no one else offered a complete package nor put the marketing muscle behind their product like Apple has.

We users all know what Palm needs to do, and whether Palm knows it or not, the window of opportunity is slipping away daily. In fact, it may have already closed...but let's try to stay positive and hope that Palm can pull a rabbit out of its hat.

I realize that Palm is a very small company and after their reorganization they had to hire a lot of talent to even get the Pre this far. I'm sure there was also a fair amount of pressure that Palm was/is feeling from its stockholders to release a product (the Pre), even though all of the supporting elements (SDK, App Catalog purchase infrastructure, etc.) were not yet ready. As has been the case with Palm for the last several years, they are late to the party, but lack the popularity and/or "juice" to get away with it. There is no such thing as being "fashionably late" in the world of technology--If you're late, you're tired and obsolete, not fashionable, regardless of how pretty your outfit is.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 11/06/2009 at 05:41 PM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    NONE! Cause so far none of them have been worth it.
    Dear Santa,

I've been as good as I could be this year and all I want on my Pre is an on-screen keyboard, a real Face Book app, visual voicemail and video recording.
    If you could bring this in any of the updates by Christmas, then I promise to be extra good next year! Thanks a bunch!

xoxo,
    Kady
    Quote Originally Posted by dremon21 View Post
    As of right now, I dont really see why we should be paying for any apps. They all can pretty much be downloaded off preware for free.
    I was unaware that Dealert or a similar app could be found for free in Preware!!

If you haven't made a purchase yet. This is the one. I promise.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast