1.    #1  
    Hey hey,

I just did the automated Setup of Optware. I chose both WiFi and EVDO during the setup. SSH is working over WiFi but not over EVDO. I checked my /etc/event.d/optware-dropbear but there was no -i eth0 already. It looks like this:

Code:
    /usr/sbin/iptables -D INPUT -p tcp --dport 222 -j ACCEPT || /bin/true
         /usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 222 -j ACCEPT
    Any other ideas?!

I've read that some providers are using some kind of proxies? I'm using O2 Germany could that be the reason?

Thx for your help!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    in Iusacell Mexico we have the port 222 blocked as well but 443 is open, try running dropbear in 443 and enable the same port in iptables or just try random port numbers
    EVDO? In Germany?? Think about it? Who's your carrier? Are they CDMA/EVDO based?
    there is no EVDO in germany... the cdma network was shutdown like 15 years ago ^^

but well... i guess he is using O2, and as far as I know the do not have any restriction... maybe it fails because of the NATting ... (I mean, that every phone in a cell has the same IP adress)
  5.    #5  
    We have 3G/3.5G (UMTS/HSDPA) in Germany. I thought EVDO is more or less what Sprint calls their 3g so I used EVDO as a kind of alias... and yes I'm using 02. But hey guys u know what I'm talking about... let's focus on the important things :P

I'll give the port change a try. Let's see..

Regarding NATting and IPs I tried to go online with my n95 and my palm (were laying right next to each other) at the same time and they had a different IP. I don't know how to activate cell info in the palm.. but I think it's very likely that they were in the same cell. But assuming that NAT is the problem.. any ideas to solve it anyway?
  6.    #6  
    I've changed the dropbear port to 443 but it doesn't work either (WiFi's still working)
    Quote Originally Posted by XenonTW View Post
    We have 3G/3.5G (UMTS/HSDPA) in Germany. I thought EVDO is more or less what Sprint calls their 3g so I used EVDO as a kind of alias... and yes I'm using 02. But hey guys u know what I'm talking about... let's focus on the important things :P

I'll give the port change a try. Let's see..

Regarding NATting and IPs I tried to go online with my n95 and my palm (were laying right next to each other) at the same time and they had a different IP. I don't know how to activate cell info in the palm.. but I think it's very likely that they were in the same cell. But assuming that NAT is the problem.. any ideas to solve it anyway?
    EVDO is the 3G version of UMTS/HSDPA for CDMA.

If you can test via wifi connection then maybe you can confirm ssh is working, then try and find a port that isn't blocked/filtered?
    Are you sure the network you're trying to connect from isn't filtering? I can't connect to port 222 from work because my company filters it outbound. As others mentioned, try changing the port to something less likely to be filtered, like 8000 or 8080.
  9.    #9  
    At first: Thanks for your answers

ok, I've tried a thousands of ports (including 8080 and 8000) I set up the ssh of my rootserver to 222 to check my outbound (it works fine)... but without success... any other ideas?!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    probably its being blocked by the isp, try to setup hamachi and ssh trough that network
    HamachiVPN
    i wish i understood half of what you all were talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    i wish i understood half of what you all were talking about.
    Secure Shell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropbear_(software)

TCP and UDP port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There, now you know
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  13.    #13  
    It's weekend and I had finally the chance to play a little bit with my pre.

Thanks @moris that was a great tip with hamachi. I didn't know hamachi at all I remember the time were installing a VPN could be a pain in the ***.. now out of the box no configs anymore :P

Back to the main topic:

I set up the hamachi on the palm and tataaaa i can ssh on my palm over 3G now (tunneled) but unfortunately with some blemishes: It significantly decreases battery life because it forces the palm to stay awake or it wakes it up immediately I'm not sure. I got this broadcast messages over and over again after the palm screen turned off.

Broadcast message from root (Thu Nov 12 16:28:58 2009):

powerd: System going to sleep now

Broadcast message from root (Thu Nov 12 16:28:59 2009):

powerd: System woke up.

Broadcast message from root (Thu Nov 12 16:29:00 2009):

powerd: System going to sleep now
    Another problem is when you switch from 3G to WiFi or the other way around hamachi won't reconnect..
    Last edited by XenonTW; 11/13/2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: I had to remove a stupid question.. :P