1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone! Total newbie here. Just got my Palm Pre (with Sprint) and, to be honest, not very happy with it so far. I continually find myself saying "huh...that's another thing I CAN'T do with this phone." I'm sure these are all old news, but:

-Birthdays don't show up in calendar
    -No quicktext or autotext function
    -Signal strength doesn't appear as good in an area where I've never had a problem in the past (although I don't lose calls)
    -Battery runs down fairly quickly even though no apps are open (went from 100% to 28% in one day)
    -Can't remove NASCAR and NFL apps (which I believe is a Sprint thing, not Palm)

I'm debating whether or not to return the Pre and get something else that does the things above. Wanted to ask first, though: Does anyone know how often Palm sends out updates? Anyone know if these issues will be addressed? I don't want to keep this phone "in hopes they'll fix it in future updates" that might come a long time from now or may never come.

Need some encouragement!
    1 - yep, not fixed, but should be.
    2 - glaring issue with non physical keyboards, but not so bad with the Pre.
    3 - had the same issue, but like you, no dropped calls.
    4 - There are some who think you are super cool for having 28 percent battery left at the end of the day. Your phone is still powered on by evening time... what's the problem here?
    5 - Homebrew my friend. You can hide those apps.

Pre is a great phone, but has its issues. The nice thing is that Palm has been very proactive. Many of your issues, sans the battery one, can be fixed or already are via homebrew.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Search function is your friend

Having said that if the phone doesn't work for you do some research and find one that will fit your needs. Unfortunately not every phone will meet the needs of everyone.

I love my Pre, but it's not for everyone.
    I would classify the Pre as an enthusist device for now. There are still lots of missing features and bugs in WebOS that need to be ironed out. (Huge thanks for the homebrew/patch comunity)

If you are like me, and you love to tweak, mess around with, and otherwise fondle new gadgets, the Pre is for you.

If you are looking for a solid device that always performs it's feature set reliably, then perhaps a different smart phone, or even a dumb phone, is right for you. All smart phones have their quirks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerblue View Post
    I'm sure these are all old news, but:

Yup, they're old.

-Signal strength doesn't appear as good in an area where I've never had a problem in the past (although I don't lose calls)
    So, this isn't actually an issue, right?

-Battery runs down fairly quickly even though no apps are open (went from 100% to 28% in one day)
    Congrats, that's actually great battery life. All smartphone batteries (I know, blanket statements are dangerous) have terrible life.

That is correct.

Does anyone know how often Palm sends out updates?
    Been roughly 1/month to this point.

Anyone know if these issues will be addressed? I don't want to keep this phone "in hopes they'll fix it in future updates" that might come a long time from now or may never come.
    No one here is going to know for sure (well, except maybe Chuq). However, the couple issues you mention have patches available to remedy them.

Need some encouragement!
    Use the search function and homebrew and you'll find all the answers you need to make an informed decision.

Welcome to PreCentral.

(Dang, I took too long using quotes and was beat to the punch. Oh well, lost my 'cool' card again.)
    Last edited by ChappyEight; 11/04/2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Not being awesome.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Hi Everyone! Total newbie here. Just got my Palm Pre (with Sprint) and, to be honest, not very happy with it so far. I continually find myself saying "huh...that's another thing I CAN'T do with this phone." I'm sure these are all old news, but:

No fix for this yet

Homebrew app for this

Lots of people have noticed this....I got a free Airave from Sprint to fix this issue

Highly dependent on signal strength.........
    See Plam pre tips and tricks to try and optimize other settings

Patch for this exists...
    See WebOS Quick Install guides

I'm debating whether or not to return the Pre and get something else that does the things above. Wanted to ask first, though: Does anyone know how often Palm sends out updates? Anyone know if these issues will be addressed? I don't want to keep this phone "in hopes they'll fix it in future updates" that might come a long time from now or may never come.

Updates come about once a month...

Love the phone becaues the OS is very tweakable and allows me to experiment.

Some hate the phone some love it....It all depends on what your needs are.

Need some encouragement!

Hope that helps
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. Good to know other people are having the same issues and still sticking with it. It's true that you gotta find the right phone, but I guess I just figured that since my last phone was the Treo 755p, I'll just stick with Palm. Just shocked to find that seemingly simple things that were in the 755p were left out of the Pre.

In terms of Homebrew....I'm brand new and haven't figured out how it all works yet. Feel really behind. I LOVE to play with stuff and tweak things so I suppose this would be the right place for me. Where's the best place to start? Gotta learn how to do everything.
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. Good to know other people are having the same issues and still sticking with it. It's true that you gotta find the right phone, but I guess I just figured that since my last phone was the Treo 755p, I'll just stick with Palm. Just shocked to find that seemingly simple things that were in the 755p were left out of the Pre.

In terms of Homebrew....I'm brand new and haven't figured out how it all works yet. Feel really behind. I LOVE to play with stuff and tweak things so I suppose this would be the right place for me. Where's the best place to start? Gotta learn how to do everything.
    Start here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-7-beyond.html

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Start with homebrew apps...There is tutorial that will hit you in the face on that page...
  10.    #10  
    Suddenly becoming excited to go home and try everything. Seems like you guys are on top of it all. Thanks for the support!!
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    There will always be thirst for more....
    Your battery will improve slightly with time. Also, after a week or so of break in, you should run it completely down to failure (obviously when you can afford to have it charging for a while.) This will give you an accurate picture of the battery life as it resets the low to the failure point.

In general, lithium batteries last longer if they are kept peeked, rather than ran down far. However, the replaceable battery in the Pre makes this less of an issue than some other smart phones.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    and don't forget the themes!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks sacherjj, I'll give that a shot. Odd that battery improves over time....seems counterintuitive. One thing I wondered about, though, is the Background Data Collection option where Google collects background location info. I have that turned off thinking that could be another battery drainer....is that correct? Any reason I should have this turned on?
  15.    #15  
    themes and ringtones (esp creatable ringtones).....I'm interested. I'd like to learn more....

My Pre doesn't feel like my own yet. Wanna make it more personal.
    themes and ringtones (esp creatable ringtones).....I'm interested. I'd like to learn more....

My Pre doesn't feel like my own yet. Wanna make it more personal.
    For sure! I've even created my own custom theme. Check it out look at Prethemer.com and search for ZomPre. Once you get the Homebrew stuff working with Quick Install, get Preware up and running. Search around here for instructions. You will be able to change themes right from your Pre on the go from a growing list of custom themes. You can add all sorts of Patches(i hide nascar and the stock music app) and download all sorts of apps that are not available in the app store. Be sure to check out Music Player Remix!!!!!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  17.    #17  
    If this all works as easy as you all are making it seem....could be bad news for me. Lots of time wasted playing with the Pre. Hope the fiancee doesn't get mad.

.....Lastly, what are my chances of crashing my phone to where everything gets wiped out? Does that happen? Just don't wanna screw something up.
    Palm has seen fit to provide WebOs Doctor. This will restore your Pre's OS to just out of the box. Basically, the Pre is crashable, but not unfixable.

19.    #19  
    This is good stuff. Thanks everyone.....feel like the doors are opening up. It seemed like my hands were tied before, but I guess you all figured it out. This is great.
    Thanks sacherjj, I'll give that a shot. Odd that battery improves over time....seems counterintuitive. One thing I wondered about, though, is the Background Data Collection option where Google collects background location info. I have that turned off thinking that could be another battery drainer....is that correct? Any reason I should have this turned on?
    GPS off saves a bit of battery, as well as email sync timing and not using the IM app.

The type of lithium battery used in the Pre does have some break in time. Seems counter intuitive, but most users were seeing increases in runtimes after some break in period.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.